Someone Doctoring the Negative Reviews?? I have been monitoring the reviews for this product after I posted a less than flattering review a short time ago. I seem to be noticing that the handful of recent critical reviews for this product, not only including my own but several others, seem to be accumulating a growing number of downgrades, i.e. someone marking the reviews to be unhelpful.

Perhaps this is simply a coincidence, but I find it to be somewhat odd. Several of the negative reviews are quite detailed; my own was several hundred words and a few paragraphs in length. Why do only the recent reviews with 2 or less stars seem to be marked as unhelpful, but not other comments, some of which are actually shorter and more vague?
asked by Skel on February 3, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 answers
A
votes
Only partially true Mr. Gibson. The 2595 is distinctly different, as it adds bluetooth *and* voice recognition. I was almost bitten by that one, thinking that the only thing that the 2595 added was bluetooth, which I didn't care about. I did care about the voice recognition. So big difference between the other two and the 2595.

Amazon should not be consolidating reviews on this model series.
Daniel G. Hyams answered on April 16, 2012

A
votes
Sorry Daniel. You are absolutely correct, and voice recognition is a big difference.

I agree with you about having separate reviews. I find that Amazon often lumps reviews together if a certain product has different models or different versions. It can get confusing when people don't specify which model or which version they are reviewing.
William M. Gibson answered on April 16, 2012

A
votes
Not true. I am reading reviews for the 2595LMT and see about 30% (slightly more) reviews for the 2555T, LM or LMT. Not the same device. Every review I see for the 2555 (anything) I downgrade because it skews the overall rating for the device in question (2595 in this case). SO If I want to research 2595 LMT why should I see 2555 or 265 under the 2595 heading. I am sure it is not fault of the person posting the review but could very well the fault of Amazon.
Sorry if this seems like a rant.
Mike answered on February 5, 2012

A
votes
The responsibility for aggregating reviews of different models (or not) is Amazon's. It may be that some reviewers also make mistakes, but aggregating products, however similar, that are not the same confuses buyers, causes unnecessary costs for returns, etc., and degrades trust in and value of Amazon. The review consolidation practices could be fixed by stopping consolidation or clearly making reviews as for a different model or version, for example (Google Apps does this). I think consolidation may be helpful when few reviews for specific models are available, but by combining and clearly marking such listings as for different models, a larger sample of reviews can be accessed. When I review a specific product, I generally would not want it attached to a different model or similar product, since that misrepresents my experience and rather than adding value to a potential buyer, injects noise. After separating reviews that the writer has mistakenly assigned, it's clearly Amazon that is doing the aggregating and their responsibility to fix.
mbon answered on September 5, 2013

A
votes
I find it best to always list reviews by dater rather than most helpful first. It not only takes care of the issue mentioned but may weed out issues people were having prior to any firmware upgrades.
randallphotog answered on July 30, 2012

A
votes
Hey Dude....do you not see that the 2555 LM, 2555 LMT and 2595 LMT are all the same product? The 2555 LM has lifetime maps. The 2555 LMT is EXACTLY the same, but it adds lifetime traffic. The 2595 LMT is EXACTLY the same, but it adds bluetooth. Amazon lumps the reviews for all 3 together. There are not separate review sites for each product. Please stop downgrading reviews.
William M. Gibson answered on March 9, 2012

A
votes
I agree. I felt the same way and downgraded the reviews re Garmin models other than the 2595LMT too.
Deerwatcher answered on May 20, 2012

A
vote
it comes with cables
Mirania R. answered on November 25, 2013

A
votes
I hope the fact that all three models share a common set of reviews on Amazon is now clear...and that folks who marked reviews as unhelpful because they were unaware of this fact will now go back and fix that issue...changing their votes. It's just good karma. ;)
Scuba Steve answered on July 15, 2012

A
[Deleted by the author on Dec 17, 2013 7:37:14 AM PST]
‹ Previous   1   Next ›