5.0 out of 5 stars No more leg pain
Published on September 8, 2011 by Quality Counts

2.0 out of 5 stars Didnt work. Acetyl L Carnitine worked instead.
I have (had) non -diabetc Peripheral Neurapathy in my feet. All the reviews say use Benfotiamine for various mfgs. Went through bottles of the stuff with no improvement. Learned on the web that some researchers found success with ALC. it has virtually cured it completely!
Published 21 months ago by Hertzair

5.0 out of 5 stars No more leg pain, September 8, 2011
This review is from: Doctor's Best Benfotiamine (150 mg), Vegetable Capsules, 120-Count (Health and Beauty)
I read about this shortly after I was diagnosed with diabetes 5 years ago. I was looking for supplements that help with diabetes. I had originally gone to the doctor because the pains in my legs (diabetic neuropathy) were keeping me up at night. When I got my blood sugar under control, it helped a little, but not enough to sleep well. After taking this supplement for a few weeks, I realized one night that I was no longer having the pain in my legs. As long as I keep taking about 500mg a day, the pain stays away. My eye doctor also noticed that the retinopathy in my eyes had stabilized.

From what I've read, benfotiamine helps protect your nerves from damage done by the excess glucose in the body. You can read more about it at Life Extension (lef.org). I've also used their benfotiamine which works well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Using Benfotiamine to prevent diabetic complications, October 30, 2010
Mark (Poinciana, Florida, United States) - See all my reviews
I began using Benfotiamine when my endocrinologist suggested it. He had returned from a diabetes convention and heard a keynote address by a researcher named Brownlee. Brownlee suggested that excess blood sugar is not the problem for a diabetic. The cell damage caused by the excess sugar is the problem. His research showed that a combination of continued release alpha lipoic acid and benfotiamine prevented cell damage in rats with high blood sugar. Does it also work on humans? Does either supplement work alone or are both needed? What is the correct dosage for a human? Brownlee's research did not answer any of these questions, but my endocrinologist suggested I may want to take benfotiamine along with alpha lipoic acid. He told me he is doing it himself. This product is a fairly inexpensive source of benfotiamine, so I have been using it. I don't know if it will ward off complications, but I have been satisfied with the product. Only time, and further research will show if it was worthwhile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Benfotiamine prevents and treats neuropathy, nephropathy, retinopathy, and cardiomyopathy, August 20, 2012
Benfotiamine prevents and treats polyneuropathy (neuropathy), leukoencephalopathy (encephalopathy/psychopathy), nephropathy (podocytopathy/glomerulopathy), microangiopathy, retinopathy, maculopathy, papillopathy, keratopathy, opthalmopathy, macroangiopathy (arteriopathy), cardiomyopathy (cardiopathy), myopathy, mitochondriopathy, endotheliopathy, channelopathy, embryopathy, fetopathy, osteopathy, arthropathy (osteoarthropathy/cheiroarthropathy/cheiropathy), plexopathy, radiculopathy (radiculoplexopathy), lymphadenopathy, myelopathy, mastopathy, rhinopathy, cochleopathy, vestibulopathy, labyrinthopathy, pulmonopathy, hepatopathy, uropathy, cystopathy, gastroenteropathy (gastropathy/enteropathy/pancreatopathy/colopathy), coagulopathy, endometriosis (endometriopathy), periodontitis (periodontopathy), dermopathy (scleredema/sclerodactyly), and impaired wound healing (impaired cicatrisation) but does not lower blood glucose or HbA1c. Benfotiamine was first developed in Japan in the early 1960s to treat alcoholic polyneuropathy (alcoholic neuritis) and also beriberi. Other superstar nutritional supplements that originated from Japan include: (1)Nattokinase (from Japanese natto), (2)Vitamin K2/MK-7 (from Japanese natto), (3)Serrapeptase (from Japanese silkworms), (4)Fucoidan (from Japanese wakame, kombu, or hijiki), (5)Lentinan (from Japanese shiitake mushrooms), and (6)Coenzyme Q10 (not invented in Japan but at one time, made only in Japan as a byproduct of natto fermentation or yeast fermentation). In addition, Korean Red Ginseng, the most effective ginseng, originates from Japan's next-door neighbor, Korea, and Soy Isoflavones (genistein, daidzein, and glycitein), which are now available in capsules, originate from China, the birthplace of soy. Don't be afraid to swallow at least one 150mg benfotiamine capsule daily. Some people say that they have gotten better results swallowing 900mg or 1,200mg daily. In the highly unlikely event that you experience any negative side effects, reduce your dosage. Unlike vitamin B1 (thiamin), benfotiamine (prothiamin) is not contained in any foods. Benfotiamine works by blocking the formation of Advanced Glycation Endproducts (AGEs), which are abnormal link-ups between glucose and tissue proteins. Doctor's Best Benfotiamine capsules contain "Benf-O-Pure" Japanese benfotiamine. Although diabetics have a much higher rate of AGE formation due to increased oxidative stress from hyperglycemia, people who have never had diabetes also suffer form AGE formation caused by normal metabolism and normal aging. Also, we create AGEs in foods when we cook foods at high temperatures. [Cooking foods at high temperatures also creates cancer-causing acrylamide, cancer-causing alkanals, cancer-causing alkanels, cancer-causing polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, cancer-causing heterocyclic amines, and cancer-causing nitrosamines]. Researchers have implicated the accumulation of AGEs in the human body in the progression of age-related diseases including Alzheimer's disease, heart disease, stroke, cataracts, macular degeneration, asthma, arthritis, periodontitis, and muscle weakness. The accumulation of AGEs has also been shown to inhibit vascular dilation by interfering with nitric oxide and by oxidizing LDL cholesterol. Alpha-lipoic acid, metformin, and pioglitazone have been shown to inhibit AGE formation but not as well as benfotiamine. Benfotiamine will very likely help the human body repair nerve damage even if diabetes was not the cause.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another break through for my condition, November 26, 2012
I have suffered fibromyalgia and Peripheral Neuropathy since childhood and it force my early retirement at age 50. In the struggle for energy and wakefulness I put this next to Magnesium for helping me. This is the only fat soluble B on the market. Fat soluble means it stays with your body much longer than water soluble, the other oral form. Magnesium supports B's but this is a B. If you suffer like I do from sleepiness, lethergy, Fibro or PN please try this. It worked for me the first day I tried. Magnesium took two weeks before I could see my wakefulness. Now I have wakefulness and more energy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, June 24, 2012
My husband used to get sharp pain in his feet from having diabetes. But since he had been taking this for 6 months then he hasnt had any episodes of pain in his feet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems magical, and much less expensive than at vitamin stores, December 8, 2011
Mehetabelle "mehetabelle" (Silicon Valley United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
After researching benfotiamine on Pub Med, I felt sufficiently confident to purchase a bottle of 100 capsules at my local vitamin store, for $30.

This food supplement seems to live up to several of its claimed benefits: even in low doses, it seems to have greatly alleviated pain and tingling in fingers and toes (neuropathy as an effect of diabetes).

The same dosage and number of capsules are much less expensive on Amazon than from my local vitamin store and seems to deliver comparable effectiveness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really does the job, October 4, 2012
I have had foot pain for several years,and read an artical in the newspaper stating that Benfotiamine was good for foot pain, so I got a bottle of Doctor's best Benfotiamine and my food pain stopped almost at once,I take one 150 mg capsules when I get up and One before bedtime.It works great.No more foot pain.The cheapest places to buy this is Amazon.com

5.0 out of 5 stars REALLY STOP MY PAINS, March 10, 2014
I saw this product in my foot Dr office. I had knee replacement on both knee's and one knee no problem second knee nerve damaged with so much pain, then I started getting foot pain I am a diabetic. So I was doing therapy change in shoe etc trying stop this pain.Then while waiting to see my Foot Dr I read about Benfotiamine. I Went home order the product by the second week I began to feel the difference. I had to increase the recommend dosages. Now after one month I can walk and do so much. My Knee specialist Dr Had me to take Lyrica this medication causes weight gain and so many side effects, it stop the pain but with to many side effects.I stop taking it and just endure the pain.Then I found This medication Benfotiamine IT really works.I will take it until I see no results.

2.0 out of 5 stars Didnt work. Acetyl L Carnitine worked instead., May 15, 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Got this from other reviews, June 6, 2012
Amazon Customer (FORT DODGE, IA, US) - See all my reviews
This product helps with my neurothapy, along with the R-Alpha-Lipoic Acid I take with it. It reduces the pain for many hours, and the overall pain is lessing with time. Great products.