5.0 out of 5 stars I find it very useful.
I bought my first bottle here in late July. I started with 150mg at bedtime, and found it lowers my
morning fasting blood sugar! I did not expect this, but discovered it while I was testing frequently.
This may be due to the comments I see on the net that theanine can lower cortisol...which is considered a factor
in some "dawn phenomenon" patients with...
Published on October 9, 2011 by Belladonna

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not amazing
When I bought this item from nutricraze it was about 14 dollars and now it's 20 dollars just a few days after I bought the item. It was a good price before but now it's a bit too much for something that might or might not help you.

About the item.
The l-theanine seems to work best when you know you're going to feel nervous and you take it. It calms you...
Published on September 26, 2010 by dgrayman13

5.0 out of 5 stars I find it very useful., October 9, 2011
This review is from: Doctor's Best Suntheanine L-Theanine (150mg) Vegetable Capsules, 90-Count (Health and Beauty)
in some "dawn phenomenon" patients with insulin resistance/type II diabetes. I don't know if this is really
the explanation, but it certainly lowered my morning fasting glucose readings by 30pts or more!

During the course of this bottle which is a 90 ct size, our home has had a major stressor, and grief
generator, and I have been very upset during this time. So last night I took 300mg instead of
the usual 150mg. I slept more soundly, and awakened with a less "heavy heart"...which is what I call my anxiety grief reaction to the acute/temporary stress here.

If I feel the return of this anxiety today, I'll take 150mg in the daytime, and another 300mg at bedtime.

I am very pleased with this product for myself. But I do think people may vary in their responses.
And I think perhaps a higher dose may work for those that are not satisfied with 150mg a day.

5.0 out of 5 stars This really helps me sleep. A+, May 21, 2011
I've had sleep problems for years. I got this to add to the one RX I was taking. This really helps make me drowsy and nod off within 1/2 hour. Sometimes I can get 6 straight hours of sleep which is amazing for me since I usually wake every 2 hours. I have no drug hangover from this at all.

For anxiety I found this to be really effective. I was having an anxiety attack so took 2 and within an hour I was calmed down.

I do find that if I have really bad racing thoughts at night that are keeping me awake this does not stop it, but then nothing does. But what it does do is really make you drowsy if you need to sleep.

This has 2 uses. To put you to sleep or to calm anxiety.

Ignore the other reviewer complaining about the price. I paid $15.50 for my first bottle somewhere else. All L-Theanine is about $15 a bottle. SunTheanine can be more expensive because it has a patent. The difference between this and regular L-Theanine is the Sun has a higher concentration of theanine.

This is a really good deal especially if you use Subscribe and Save. worth a try for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised!, May 3, 2013
Rob C (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
Over many years I have learned to get along quite well in social situations and in public. Despite my progress I still have felt too much social anxiety. I've used alcohol,a prescription for valium, and many different supplements to lessen my anxiety. Valium has worked quite well for me. I have taken a 5mg tablet at most two or three times a week when I felt that I needed it. The problem with this is it affects my mental clarity. I don't like feeling mentally foggy.
In trying to reduce my dependence on valium and lessen my anxiety I tried St. John's wort, Kava root, Passion flower and several other natural remedies. None of these worked well for me. Last fall I began taking 150mg of L-Theanine every morning at breakfast. At first I didn't feel a difference but after a few weeks I noticed that I was more confident in social situations, I was more patient with my business clients and employees, and I felt an increase in mental clarity that was a pleasant surprise. Although the effect of this product is very subtle over a period of six months it has helped me feel calmer, more lucid, and even more energetic. I highly recommend it!Doctor's Best Suntheanine L-Theanine (150mg) Vegetable Capsules, 90-Count

5.0 out of 5 stars Natural alternative to anxiety medication, March 20, 2013
This is such a great natural alternative to anxiety medication. It takes the edge off of stress caused by everyday living. It helps you to go about your day without a lot of the worries associated with our daily lives. I like taking it along with Calms Forte by Hylands.. Taken together definitely calm you without making you sleepy. I always have these two products on hand. After I stopped taking anxiety meds from the doctor I went through withdrawal and these two products were a God send for the side effects the chemical withdrawals I was going through due to Klonopin and Xanax. I really don't know what I would've done without them. A Naturopath recommended them to help with withdrawal and then to help with any anxiety I may have in the future. Awesome product. Helped me immediately. Here is some more helpful information about Suntheanine. I found Doctors Best to work the best, as I have tried other brands.

Mental Alertness
Clinical trials suggest that an amount of between 50 to 200 mg of Suntheanine stimulates alpha waves (brain activity), which are identified with a calm but alert mental state. Because Suntheanine is absorbed through the large intestine and transported directly to the brain, it stimulates alpha brain waves, which are "emitted" once we have finished an activity and have stopped to rest. Suntheanine encourages the activity of neurotransmitters, which help regulate attention, learning, mood, memory, body temperature, appetite and sleep. All of these are enhanced by the presence of Suntheanine in our bodies. And the substance also may heighten our mental acuity and support our immune system.

Stress Relief
Suntheanine is believed to promote stress relief while providing calm and relaxation similar to deep meditation. A completely natural substance, Suntheanine does not produce the undesirable side effects produced by synthetic drugs such as fatigue and drowsiness.

Read more: Suntheanine Benefits | eHow.com [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved me-can't live without them, October 30, 2013
I've suffered from generalized anxiety, anxiety attacks and panic attacks for the past 25 years and this L-Theanine has all but stopped my panic and anxiety attacks. I still have generalized anxiety but it's lessened greatly. I take 2 of these every 5 hours during the day and have for the past several years and have had ZERO side effects. It's just something that "turns it all off" in my head - so that I can feel some peace. Yet I feel alert and not foggy or sedated at ALL. I liken it to having sat in a diesel truck that has a loud and rough idle (that's my normal state) and when I take these it's like someone turns the engine off and I can sit there in the solitude and hear the birds chirping. I have had panic and anxiety attacks while taking them but I went from one a day to one every few months - if that - only if the stress in my life increases past a tolerable point. I highly recommend this product to anyone suffering from anxiety of any kind and I plan to continue to take them the rest of my life. If there was a rating higher than 5 stars I would give it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product for the price!!, May 11, 2013
I have an active prescription for Adderal, but I don't like taking such "hard" drugs. So my wife did a little Internet research and found this product. The first type I tried was a chewable tablet that you held under your tounge, and worked almost instantly. With this particular product, it takes about 45 minutes to 1 hour for the affects to be felt. This was the only draw back that I found, but it does last a lot longer than the instant version. This was a definite benefit since the job I have is in the medical field and lives hang in the balance.

Cons:
Short term affects are felt within 1 hour

Pros:
Affects last me around 10 hours.
Safer than other ADD/ADHD medicines

5.0 out of 5 stars Helps me relax after a long day, August 9, 2013
I've been taking l-theanine for over a year and it's truly a life changer. It helps boost a positive and relaxed mood after a long stressful day. I also take 5-htp a lot, and I find theanine much more effective, and it doesn't make you tired at all! It's safe and effective to take everyday, I've yet to build up any tolerance to it. I've given my wife some to take when she's feeling agitated or stressed, and it's very obvious how much it helps her as well. I also take this at night with melatonin and l-tryptophan to help me relax my mind and get to sleep every night.

I definitely recommend this product to everyone out there who's looking for general mood enhancement and relaxation. Out of the countless dozen supplements I've ever taken, aside from advil, this is by far the most wonderful pill I've ever taken.

5.0 out of 5 stars It helps my grandmother sleep., April 26, 2013
A. B. (Atlanta, Georgia) - See all my reviews
It helps my grandmother sleep. I use it too and I think that it helps me think more clearly. So far so good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, March 25, 2014
I gave this product a 4 star rating since I had been using a previous L-Theanine which was 200 mg. The Doctor's Best at Amazon has only 150 mgs. per capsule. It's not really that much of a difference, but I do take 3 capsules a day now rather then 2 though. The price is about the same, since you get more of the 150 mg. capsules, then I had with my other brands 200 mgs. That way I'm getting 450 mgs. daily, where I had found 400 mgs. had worked well for me. However, 450 mgs. is still well within the recommended range. I used to take 1 capsule in the morning and 1 in the evening. Now I also take a 3rd. capsule mid-day.
If you buy L-Theanine, the best to purchase is the Suntheanine, which is a branded product. There are other Theanines out there, but this one is the best. After much research, I found that this is the one you want to make sure is the Theanine in your capsules. It's the best one available.
I have always been high-strung and easily stressed out. I had taken Xanax and other prescription drugs which do work well, but I don't like taking heavy prescription drugs for any length of time. So, I decided to look for a natural alternative.
This definitely has worked as well as, if not better than the prescription drugs. It's a natural remedy, since L-Theanine, already is naturally made by your body to relax. I read a lot of reviews on the product and many people mentioned it even lowered their blood pressure. I haven't actually checked that out yet, but if it's relaxed me enough that I am aware of it's working, then most likely it has lowered my pressure. I found that it worked from the first day I used it, which was a pleasant surprise for me.
I also read some of the online websites for supplement safety and it appears that taking up to 600 mg. per day is safe. Some sites even said you can take up to 1,000 mg. daily, but I felt that seemed a bit too high. I found that taking the 400 mg. (now 450 mg.) daily has made me feel much less stressed out. Before, even the little daily upsets would cause me stress, but now I rarely feel stressed.
I would recommend this product to anyone who is looking for a natural remedy for stress. However, like anything sold OTC, if your on medications, then I would definitely speak with your doctor first. And as it states on the websites and the bottles, if you are taking any medication for stress like Xanax, you should not take together. But, again if your on any medications for anything, I'd ask a doctor or even a pharmacist before using L-Theanine, just to be safe.

5.0 out of 5 stars It does the trick..., October 17, 2013
My husband and I take one capsule at bedtime, along with Melatonin to help us fall asleep. The L-Theanine definitely has a calming effect and helps us relax sufficiently to fall asleep within minutes after turning off the lights.