Does 120 hz matter Do you think there is a big difference getting a TV with 120 hz or 65 hz. I do not play video games but am an avid sports fan. Thanks!
asked by Bryan M. Robbins on October 29, 2007
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 25 answers
A
this is from cnet

"The big step-up feature for this series is a 120Hz refresh rate, which is said to cut down on the motion blur sometimes seen by sharp-eyed viewers in fast-moving scenes -- although in our tests of 60Hz LCDs, motion blur hasn't been an issue."
E. Fick answered on November 15, 2007
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
There is absolutely ZERO need for any special cabling on 120hz sets versus 60hz sets. The difference in the sets is in what the TV internally does to the signal it receives before displaying it. However the signal going into the Tv is exactly the same, it's whatever was output by your DVD, cable box etc.

Saying otherwise would be synonymous with saying you need special cables to turn up the brightness, contrast etc. in your TV's menus. You have the ability to set the brightness, sharpness etc. up to 100% in those menus on ANY signal put into the TV (with varying results) because those settings are what the TV does to the signal and have nothing to do with the input signal itself.

Any advantages to picking a 'better' cable would be present on 60hz models as well.
Poof answered on December 25, 2007
Comment | 14 of 14 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
You won't find 65Hz TVs; you probably mean 60Hz. 120Hz really won't fix much with motion blur.

TV programs are 30 frames per second (fps). That means a 60Hz display would show each frame twice. 60 fps video would have each frame shown once. However, movies are done in 24fps. 24 doesn't go into 60 evenly. To display this, the TV will either show one frame twice and the next three time. An alternative to this is to show one frame twice, then show one frame of the mixture of the first and second frame, and then the second frame twice. 120Hz has the advantage that 30fps, 60fps, and 24fps are all evenly divisible. 30=4, 60=2, and 24=5. This eliminates all the weirdness with 24fps video.

However, the 71F do not handle 120Hz properly. Samsung may release a firmware update to fix this but don't hold your breath.
D. Nguyen answered on November 26, 2007
Comment | 8 of 10 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Poof is dead-on correct. There is absolutely no merit to the claim that monster cables are necessary for 120Hz refresh rate. It's like claiming that 93 octane gas makes your windshield wipers work more efficiently - there's absolutely no connection. Anyone trying to sell you "mega monstrosity super-duper" cables is either deluded themselves, or trying to sell you a high profit margin product.
Vince answered on December 26, 2007
Comment | 8 of 8 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Yes, game mode does remove much of the blur. Thanks. Since 120hz is off for game mode,
I feel cheated by the marketing of the 120Hz technology. Maybe Samsung has not
implemented it correctly.
Ye Ding answered on November 28, 2007
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Yes, after contacting Sumsung CS, (1-800-samsung), I upgraded to firmware 2004 (as of Nov 14, 2007), still see motion blur for fast-moving balls, very dissapointing so far, the
120 Hz seems too much hype
Ye Ding answered on November 27, 2007
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Try "Game Mode" to correct the problem
David M. Hart answered on November 28, 2007
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Poof and Vince, thank you for being voices of reason regarding the hype that is Monster cable. They make a nice cable, but also a nice profit margin...

The blur could also be due to the way the broadcast was recorded. A fast ball is a fast ball, and if the video equipement is not recording at a high enough frame rate, you are going to get blur.
Kort answered on February 8, 2008
Comment | 5 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Yes, You are right my man. My $2.00 + Shipping Amazon Hdmi Cable is giving me a perfect picture. If you needed Monster Cables @ $200.00 each then a person would need to spend $1,000.00 for cables to get all his toys hooked up... I think I will spend $10 and use the other $990.00 on a good sound system.. Ho! Ho! Ho! and have a Samsung Christmas......
Alan Glasco answered on December 25, 2007
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Can't you just shut off the automotion? Doesn't that make the TV equal to a 60mhz with no blur?
Jeff S. answered on December 11, 2007
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   3   Next ›

See all questions about this product