Does Anyone Else Feel Cheated by the BDA and/or Sony?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 22, 2008 1:19:25 AM PST
I am just wondering if anyone else is upset over the fact that the BDA released players fully knowing they will not support the profile 2.0 without telling anyone until two week after Christmas? I totally feel cheated because by then, I had already cut out the UPC code from the box to get the five free DVDs and once that is done, there is no returning the unit. I do have a way out and I plan to exploit it...

For some reason, my player (Samsung BD-P1400) will NOT load or play any disc in the Die Hard Collection (and yes, I updated the firmware as soon as I bought the player in Jan). Since I blew $300 on a soon to be obsolete player and $60 on a 4-disc set that I can't even play, I got a plan...

I decided to buy a 4 year extended agreement on my player from Best Buy for $60. When the profile 2.0 players hit the market, I am going to go to Best Buy and tell them 'Something is wrong with my player, it played these Die Hard discs back in Jan 2007 but won't play them now so it needs to be fixed." Then when they give it back after they clean it or do whatever they are going to do, dollars to donuts it STILL won't play the Die Hard Collection. Then I can take it back and prove it to them and they will be forced to give me $300 towards a new player. I will win this battle however I had to spend $60 to cover my butt...

Does anyone else feel cheated by this? The only ones who got lucky purchased the PS3 (the new PS3's SHOULD support profile 2.0) however I have read reports that the PS3 will NOT support DTS-HD Master Audio. That was my sole purpose of picking up the Samsung player I did. It is the only player under a $1000 that supports the DTS HD-MA.

Any thoughts from you guys out in the cyber-world?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2008 9:49:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 23, 2008 9:53:19 PM PST
Michael says:
Good luck to you, Best Buy's return policy sucks. I bought a dvd a while back from them, and my dvd player wouldn't read it. Three exchanges later, I decided to return it for a refund. The guy at customer service then took it to the dvd player at Geek Squad to test it. Afterwards, he proceeds to tell me that he couldn't give me my refund, that it's my player at home, that it "plays fine on ours," blahblahblah!.....then hands the movie back which in turn was scratched after he had handled it. I wanted to argue with the guy that it doesn't really help me whether it plays fine on their system or not, I still couldn't watch it at home. They could've at least given me store credit or let me exchange it for something else. Hopefully, you'll get somebody who doesn't have a stick up his/her butt and will help you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2008 12:45:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 24, 2008 12:49:48 AM PST
Thanks Mike for the input.

Yes, Best Buy can be pains in the rump when it comes to a return, however returning a DVD is different than returning a DVD player. I have a DVD that WON'T play on my brand new DVD player and should it play on their DVD player, it will prove that something is wrong with my DVD player. If after they 'attempt' to fix it, if my DVD player still doesn't play the disc but it plays on their DVD player, they have to replace my DVD player. That is what the extended warranty I purchased states; 'we will attempt to fix it, if we can't, then you get your money spent as credit towards a new one.' And believe me, if they give me any flack, I will FIGHT them for it and start demanding to speak to a manager. When an entire store hears a customer demanding a manager (I will make a stink), it makes the store look bad. And that is the key, you get them to the point where they give you your money back just to get you to shut up...

Again, thanks Mike for taking the time to respond, it is appreciated....

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2008 9:13:58 AM PST
D. Johnson says:
Your player will not be obsolete. It will still play the newer movies, but the newer functions will not be accessible. Since you do not have an ethernet port on your system, it will be impossible (even with firmware upgrades) for any of the internet functions to work. Profile 2.0 just adds more extras. You should be able to play the movies, just not be able to access the extras added with the new profile.
However, I do think there is a problem with your player. You should be able to play the Die Hard movies if you have successfully installed the latest firmware. Contact Samsung to verify you have the latest firmware installed, and if so take it back. I bought a Panasonic player in August which has never had a problem with any movie. Even the latest Die Hard played fine. Your player should play it too. Contact Samsung then take it back if they can't help.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2008 10:12:09 AM PST
To D Johnson:

Hey, thanks for your response! Actually there was a firmware upgrade that became available about one week after I posted this. Someone posted it in the forum here and I downloaded it and then the Die Hard discs played fine. It was funny because the guy who posted that the new firmware 1.5 was ready to download had a similar issue. He was saying he couldn't play Ratatouille but the Die Hard discs played fine. The thing is, mine played the Ratatouille just fine (me and my wife had just watched it a couple of days earlier) but it just wouldn't load the Die Hard discs. Apparently Samsung was aware that they needed an upgrade for this player due to several people having problems according to him. Anyway, after the firmware upgrade both of our problems were solved.

Regarding Profile 2.0, that is a feature I would have liked to have but in retrospect, I'd rather have lossless DTS HD Master Audio more than that. I purchased a $1000 receiver to be able to get the best possible sound from my current HD DVD player and the blu-ray player I wanted to add to my home theater. This player was the only one under a $1000 that had the firmware update available when I bought it for the lossless DTS Master Audio. My receiver converts it properly for both players and when watching discs with that sound option or Dolby TrueHD (like the Die Hard), I was blown away...

So now, I am a happy camper!! As I always say "You ain't watching a movie unless the floor is rumbling"...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Jan 22, 2008
Latest post:  Feb 7, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Saw IV [Blu-ray]
Saw IV [Blu-ray] by Tobin Bell (Blu-ray - 2008)
3.9 out of 5 stars   (184)