Does the Blu-Ray contain the open-matte 4:3 version?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 5, 2008 9:18:22 AM PDT
Neal Vincent says:
My old standard-def DVD contains both full-frame and widescreen versions of the film, and this is one of those films where the 4:3 version is 'open matte' - meaning you're actually LOSING picture information at the top and bottom of the screen when it's presented in 1.85:1 rather than gaining anything at the sides.

I'm a total widescreen evangelist and have been since the dark days of pan & scan, but to me Evil Dead II actually looks better in 4:3 and looks cropped in 1.85:1. For example, you can't see the top of the rotten-apple creature's head in the 1.85:1 version - it just looks wrong to me after seeing the 4:3 version so many times!

Hopefully someone can answer this: does the Blu-Ray release include the open matte 4:3 version as well, or just the matted 1.85:1 version?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2008 9:39:08 PM PDT
Eric Fortune says:
I thought that was the first "Evil Dead." Maybe I'm wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2008 4:29:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 21, 2008 4:33:16 PM PDT
D. Holt says:
Matted 1.85:1 is on the blu-ray and is the correct aspect ratio as shown in the theather back in the day. All I can say is keep your DVD.

Only movies that well ever be shown in the 4:3 format on blu-ray will be older movies that where shot that way and shown that way in the theathers.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Jul 5, 2008
Latest post:  Aug 21, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Evil Dead II [VHS]
Evil Dead II [VHS] by Bruce Campbell (VHS Tape - 1998)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (970)