Customer Discussions > Sid Meier's Civilization V - PC forum

Does Civilization V require Steam?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 205 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 25, 2010 3:35:37 PM PDT
It's not clear from other sites - and Amazon makes no mention of it being required on their site.

Posted on May 28, 2010 4:21:40 PM PDT
Yes. It does require it :(. There is no doubt. They have a thread devoted to it on their website.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2010 9:55:33 AM PDT
steam sucks!! Why do we need it?? it is intrusive and can't be sold.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2010 3:57:58 PM PDT
Just becuase a program has a thread devoted to a game doesn't mean that that game requires that program. Just because there is a thread on (for example) Civ4 on the Steam website doesn't mean that Civ4 needs Steam.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2010 10:25:17 PM PDT
J. Hong says:
Maybe if you actually read that thread you'd know that Civilization V is utilizing Steamworks. Meaning you NEED Steam in order to play.

Posted on Jun 26, 2010 7:51:45 PM PDT
I guess I have purchased my last Civ game with Civ IV. I have purchased EVERY Civ version including all add-ons since Civ I. I was excited to see the introduction of Civ 5 and was ready to pre-order. I DO NOT and NEVER WILL use any online service for games!! If this is going to be a requirement, that I will not be purchasing Civ 5. Thanks for screwing a long time Civ supporter!

Posted on Jun 29, 2010 11:13:44 AM PDT
The thread on the 2K site is clear - Steamworks is not optional. Add me to the list of people who have purchased their last Civ game

Posted on Jun 29, 2010 10:12:27 PM PDT
P. Lyon says:
Only good thing about Steam is that once you start the game, you don't need a constent connection to the internet.

Unlike the other games of late, where you need a internet connection to play every second of the game or even to get your saves from their servers.

but is that any better or worse, than a shackle my Gamer brother and sisters!
We who have worked odd jobs, paper route, fast food joints, and yes even mow the lawn for Mom and Dad. Our dollars and cents, are our sweat and our time is so we may enjoy ourselves offing some n00b in Kentucky. It is we who make and break these companies, it is we who decided what games are the most bada$$ games and complain why they hell can't they make a decent Star Wars game.

I say we rise up, take our dollars and cents to save them away for a time when we gamers are no longer suppressed by the Mega game companies.
Rise I say and fight the power, make them remember GAMER POWER!!!!

we now return you to normal chat line thank you and have a nice day..... damn bad day to run out of my happy pills.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2010 11:27:49 AM PDT
J. Escobar says:
I am not sure why you guys are so down on Steam. I think it's great, it allows you to download the game to any machine that you have access to and play it from there. So it phones home to the mothership at launch, big deal, it also has an offline mode where if you aren't connected, you can still play too. Plus it's a great way for smaller developers to get their indie games to a broader audience without having to kneel down to the big publishers. I say support it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2010 12:36:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 8, 2010 12:37:15 PM PDT
Offline mode is not infinite, Steam needs to phone home every so often (30 days, I think, though I've also seen info that this may vary based on the game publisher.)
I've also read the small developer argument. But here's a company that IS a big publisher, asking me to pay $50 for something. My ability to use it is subject to my ability to connect to a third party service, which may or may not still be in existence in five years. Even if they are, if Steam decides to stop hosting the DRM for Civ V at some point, what's my recourse?
Add to this to the fact that Steam is not very forthcoming as to what they install and what it does.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2010 11:00:24 AM PDT
I'm just curious - not starting an argument - why is it that you don't want to purchase a game that requires an online service? I live way out in the country, and my connection is often bad or non-existent. I've converted all my games to steam, and when I lose connection, I have no issue whatsoever playing my game. You can even start steam in offline mode and it will never require a connection.

Again, just curious.

Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2010 9:23:59 PM PDT
M. MacMahon says:
We don't want to ask Valve or 2K if we can play the game when we already bought it. Steam makes your purchase a service, and you depend on being allowed to play by corporations.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2010 10:31:13 PM PDT
Steam has an offline mode, as long as you're not doing multiplayer it makes no difference. I have purchased many games from Steam, including some they don't support, they all run fine.

Posted on Jul 10, 2010 2:48:04 PM PDT
A. Flowers says:
What is steam exactly? Does it require monthly charges to keep using?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2010 8:44:01 AM PDT
A. Fulks says:
No. Steam is free and a service that allows you to purchase games through it via an account that you set up. That account becomes your game library allowing you access to your games (for no fee) from any computer you install Steam on. You can also join communities based on those games (or anything else), and chat with friends. Also, if your friend is playing online and you have that game too, you can jump right into their match and play with them. Some games even allow steam to hold save games on their servers so you can play your game from multiple locations. And others even offer a free trial version you can share with those friends to play with them for a few days and see if they want to get it too.

Also, for those worried that Steam won't be around in 5 years? First off, it will be. And even in the unlikely event that it goes under, Steam has promised that any game you have purchased via their service they will send you a hard copy of so you do not just lose your games forever.

Posted on Jul 14, 2010 7:36:27 AM PDT
Steam is great but I am still against the concept of going online once in a while to keep your offline files in sync with Steam. I understand that this is a measure to prevent piracy but its just a hassle. The other concept being used by battlefield where you have free DLC if you have a new game makes much more sense.

But you know what Steamworks support is still better thn those DVD checks some games used to come with.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2010 9:11:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 14, 2010 9:12:14 PM PDT
While I like steam, I wouldn't dissolution myself to believe that if they go under, they'll actually go out of their way and spend money (which they wouldn't have at that point anyway) and send how ever many (millions?) of hard copies to all their customers. Although if they did go under, I'd bet if you had the digital copy installed, someone would probably figure out how to fake the steam authentication or just hack the game so that you could still play your games...

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2010 9:34:43 PM PDT
M. MacMahon says:
You still have to activate it online, which is asking Valve if you can please play your game. This is not hard to understand. Every time you install it you will need to ask permission.

Posted on Jul 18, 2010 6:42:26 AM PDT
Friggin steam man. It's like they want their games pirated nowadays. Screw them. I'll buy a game so long as it doesn't totally destroy my machine with their stupid malware.

Posted on Jul 18, 2010 3:37:38 PM PDT
Andrew Jock says:
Steam sounds a lot better, than what Ubisoft has been doing with their PC games. They are trying to discourage you from pirating, which for me this a development group that I want to support by actually buying this game, it's good to hear that pirating really won't have to be an option.

Posted on Jul 22, 2010 10:37:07 AM PDT
My first (and only) problem with Steam was concerning Total War. I bought the game, not knowing it there was a Steam requirement because they won't prominately display that as a requirement. My son installed the game when I was not home on the desktop and so he set up his own Steam account. He hated the game and has never played it again. I can't install the game on my laptop because it has been "registered" to his account. I spent 50.00 for a game that can not ever be played by me and I never even wanted to do anything on line.

What options do I have to install the game if I don't have internet access? None. I have bought every Civ game ever published and I will not purchase Civ 5 if it uses Steam. I play online games also and expect to have to have an online process to update the game, but if I have bought a game for "home use only" it should require and on line service. (free or not).

I bet if the offered the same game, with no Steam requirement for 10.00, more people would purchase the non Steam game.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2010 12:12:12 PM PDT
Exactly, you either have steam authenticate your copy automatically online, or you pop the DVD in the drive and wait for it to spin up. Switching from game to game? No DVD swapping with Steam. No stacks of DVD cases cluttering my computer desk. Steam is so much easier and it works like a charm. And they have the best sales -- way better to wait for it to go on sale through Steam than to buy retail. Got L4D2 for $15 a few months ago, just got Borderlands with all DLC for $16, Mass Effect 2 for $23, and on and on.

Also, who still plays games they bought five years ago?

Posted on Jul 22, 2010 12:48:18 PM PDT
J. Walton says:
Umm.. a lot of ppl... Starcraft I was played for many, many, many years...

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2010 4:25:48 PM PDT
M. MacMahon says:
I play games 5 years old all the time. I play games 20 years old pretty often. Last game I beat was the original Fallout.

Don't assume you speak for everyone there.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2010 6:36:25 AM PDT
JohnV says:
Civ IV is 5 years old. Were you trying to be funny?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  110
Total posts:  205
Initial post:  May 25, 2010
Latest post:  Jul 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Sid Meier's Civilization V - PC
Sid Meier's Civilization V - PC by 2K (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
2.7 out of 5 stars   (1,405)