5.0 out of 5 stars Words from the Heart
Published on November 16, 2001 by Arthur Gershman

3.0 out of 5 stars good book for kids
The young audiance found it funny . Nice way to present Bible stories Great for Sunday school class written for kindergarden and primary children
Published on February 12, 2013 by gloria lombardi

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Words from the Heart, November 16, 2001
Arthur Gershman (Alexandria, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Does God Have a Big Toe?: Stories About Stories in the Bible (Paperback)
This is a delightful book either to give to your child, to read together with your child, to read yourself, or to refer to when you are asked that age old question, "Does God have a big toe?" The answer Rabbi Gelman gives is very sensible, "...God is not a person. God is special and invisible and wonderful and is the creator of the universe. God has made each of us in God's image. But God is not a person. And that is why God does not have a big toe."
This is a collection of 20 `midrashim' (plural for `midrash' or a story which is told about a story which appears in the Bible to illustrate a moral, i.e. a fable). The author explains all about `midrashim' in a Note at the beginning of the book in a style suitable for children. One handy feature of the book is that in the table of contents, each `midrash' is provided with the biblical citation from which the story is drawn. It is divided into two sections, one titled "Adam's Animals", the second "Does God Have A Big Toe?" and with a prologue about Genesis 1, the story of creation. Richly endowed with a half dozen illustrations by Italian primitive artist Oscar de Mejo, this book delights both the eye as well as the intellect.
There is a old Jewish saying, "Words from the heart speak to the heart." These words come from the heart. If you have an open heart they will speak to your heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern Midrash for Children and Adults, December 20, 2000
I wish that all of us could have a friend who can bring to life the dry Bible stories we think are no longer pertenant in our modern world. Mark Gellman could be that friend. His retellings of these familiar stories shed new light on man's relationship with God and creation. They are a great starting point for discussions with children and give adults reasons to spend time with some of the scriptures that we think we already understand well. The illustrations by Oscar de Mejo are also provocative and lend new insights into what could be tired old stories. It is sad that the Jewish tradition of midrash is not more accepted in the Christian tradition. Looking at the New Testament in creative new ways (without being condemned for being untrue to the exact word of the scriptures) might give followers of Jesus a better understanding of the their own traditional stories. Rabbi Gellman has a gift for allowing us to participate in these stories as insiders, rather than readers in another time and place. This is a must have if you want to cultivate an interest in the Bible and our relationship with our God--whether with children or adult seekers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought -provoking treatement of traditional bible stories, January 1, 1999
By A Customer
I used this book as a teaching aid in a Conformation class of pre-teen girls. It provided an additional alternative to the very patriarchal Genesis creation stories, in addition to helping them learn to think "outside the box" about scriptural stories in general. The girls loved the book and so did I. I've also heard some neat sermons based on the stories from this book. Grown-ups love it, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great reading aloud book, March 2, 2002
"rich__k" (Manchester, NH United States) - See all my reviews
This is one of my favorite books to read aloud in my k-3 (Quaker) Sunday school class. Marc Gellman's language just captures the interest of the kids. (The pictures are nice but unnecessary.) He tells wonderful stories with messages that speak on many levels. The youngest kids just enjoy a good story with great word pictures, while the older children realize that much more is being said.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great reading aloud book, March 2, 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent reading for all ages, November 17, 1998
By A Customer
I have used this book in teaching adults and children. There is information and thought- provoking ideas for all who read the stories. Anyone who is interested in learning more about the Bible will enjoy these stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun intro to stories ABOUT bible stories for all ages, May 16, 1996
By A Customer
Gellman's book is a humorous introduction to "Midrash",
Jewish stories ABOUT bible stories. (Note these aren't the
actual bible stories.) This book was a definite favorite of
my 4th grade Hebrew School class.

Very funny and also gently educational.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enthusiastic storytelling for audiences of mixed ages, July 8, 2012
Gellman retells many of the basic Bible stories in ways that teach God's love along with recognizable Biblical themes. The stories are simplified so they provide more sense of satisfaction and closure than the literal Bible stories. As a result, these make decent bedtime reading without generating unanswerable questions. The words are simple, so this can be an easy reader for elementary school students. "Does God Have a Big Toe" makes a good book for parents to read with young children.

This isn't a complex book targeted for adults, but if you found it in a doctor's waiting room, it would brighten your day.

If you need the King James version and you like fire & brimstone, this one definitely isn't for you. I left my copy at the local Unitarian Meetinghouse, where it will be properly appreciated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming tales, October 27, 2012
Rev. (Mills River, NC, United States) - See all my reviews
This is a collection of charming, theologically sound stories using familiar Genesis texts. Suitable for children and adults, with each brief tale incorporating a number of life-lessons. I use these in sermons, as introductions for worship, as invitations to membership and volunteering. The illustrations are delightful. Rabbi Gellman knows how to catch our attention, how to keep us engaged. He gives us reasons to think about the story later, and to apply it to our own experiences. This is my second copy--it resides happily on the shelf with the Bibles, the hymnals, and the commentaries. If I could only have one book of stories for children in my office, this would be it.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Grandchildren Love It!, March 19, 2006
Muisc Man RS (Los Angeles County, CA) - See all my reviews
I first read this book to my grandchildren when they were 4 1/2 and 6 years old. They didn't want me to put the book down! This book and "God's Mailbox" also by Marc Gellman are great reading-aloud books, and also a wonderful way to introduce the concept of God to young children. I'm about to buy several more copies for the other young children in my family. [I am actually the wife of "Music Man RS".]

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Does God Have a Big Toe?: Stories About Stories in the Bible
Does God Have a Big Toe?: Stories About Stories in the Bible by Marc Gellman (Paperback - October 30, 1993)
Used & New from: $0.01