Does "The Hobbit" count as one of the "Lord of the Rings?"

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 18, 2006 5:44:24 PM PDT
I think "The Hobbit" should be officially counted as part of the "Lord of the Rings" series?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2006 4:59:24 PM PST
buckeye*guy says:
I agree, it should have been the first movie done as well. I fully hope they return and make this movie or I will never forgive it. It sets up the entire adventure. Thanks for your posting.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2007 4:13:56 PM PST
CP says:
Of course. Although it was written first and in such a different style, it seems easiest to call it a prequel.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2007 7:46:11 AM PST
Greg says:
I just heard on the radio that they are making The Hobbit into a two part movie to be released sometime in 2010. Can't wait.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2008 12:12:52 AM PDT
The Hobbit it's an obvious prelude to LOTR, although it's written primarily for children.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2008 12:06:32 AM PDT
There was a huge window of time between when Tolkien wrote The Hobbit and when he much later finished The LOTRs. As someone mentioned, The Hobbit is clearly more oriented towards reading to children -- LOTRs is dark.... VERY dark! While one SEEMS a prequel to the other, they clearly have foundations in two different genres, albeit they both conveniently fall into the fantasy genre. I doubt that Tolkien had a clue about The LOTRs while he was writing The Hobbit -- maybe he addressed this at some point, but when you read them closely, even if he said it had been all planned out, I'd take that with a grain of salt.

Yes, the two movies are coming, very shrewd of the producers to somehow stretch The Hobbit into two films where they can collect twice the money. Oh, well -- my biggest issue is that we'll have to WAIT on Part II until they've squeezed all the cash they can from Part I. But I'm pleased that this much needed project is finally going to see completion.

Actually, it's rumored that Peter Jackson fell out on this one but the producers are forging ahead -- here's some information:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0903624/

I've read The Hobbit twice and LOTRs three times. Really just superb work and, like someone else said, I can hardly wait for The Hobbit Film -- but I WILL wait until ALL of it is available before attempting to view! And when I buy it, THIS TIME, I'm going to wait for the so-called "special extended edition" and not waste money like I did when I ended up buying the entire The LOTRs twice.

pat

Posted on Jul 8, 2011 12:04:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 8, 2011 12:14:50 AM PDT
debra says:
definitely so, the hobbit is the premise to LOTR it's the beginnings of the story. it may not be technically necessary to reading the LOTR i.e. you can read the LOTR without needing to read the hobbit and understand everything in the LOTR story line without being confused or feeling like you just entered a conversation halfway and don't quite know everything is going on. STILL... it should be read it gives a background into how the ring came into the possession of bilbo baggins which later then gets passed to frodo. and for those who want even more background into middle-earth the origins of the ring, sauron, elves, dwarves, humans, ect. you should definitely check out the Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales, in my opinion the very best two of the histories of middle-earth and is itself a novel in it's own right!

if you want to get accurate information on the movies you need to go to theonering.net they post things daily and work with the hobbit crew. imdb.com only shows what the actors/producers are doing and some of their works, if you want to know exactly the news of the cast and crew and what they are up to doing/filming in new zealand then this is the website to check out. i swear on the LOTR itself.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2011 12:12:30 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 8, 2011 12:15:17 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 8, 2011 11:30:42 AM PDT
The only thing about theonering.net is that they run it like a pack of nazis, never allowing the slightest criticism to stand. I have found You Tube [reporters interviewing Jackson in the hot seat] and other sites much more valuable in producing the *real* story behind some of these production events than the site which is run by rabid fans of the books/films.

theonering.net simply regurgitates all the film public relations blather.

But each to his or her own.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Apr 18, 2006
Latest post:  Jul 8, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Hobbit: The Lord Of The Rings
The Hobbit: The Lord Of The Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Paperback - April 1, 2010)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (6,188)