Customer Discussions > The Giver (Giver Quartet) forum

Does Jonas die?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 12, 2007 9:43:08 AM PDT
My son's 8th grade class just finished reading The Giver. Half of them think Jonas dies and the other half thinks he lives. Does anyone have any ideas on Jonas' life?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2007 9:38:43 AM PDT
M. Bennett says:
This is the wonder of the book. You can make the ending however you may like it. Sometimes I think Jonas did die just like the story The Little Match Girl. Then sometimes I like to place him outside "the community" where he finds a place that truly values feelings and the old ways.
There are so many ways to look at the ending. I think it is best to find one which pleases you and end it that way.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2007 9:27:40 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 11, 2007 10:15:18 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2007 10:15:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2007 8:17:58 AM PST
Earthling says:
He lives! It seems that Jonas does actually live and finds a traditional community. As Jonas approaches the houses with Christmas lights he hears music and singing. He must really be hearing it since it was stated the Giver had never transferred any music memories:

'The Giver said, smiling. "I began to hear something truly remarkable, and it is called music. I'll give you some before you go"
Jonas shook his head emphatically. "No Giver, I want you to keep that, to have with you, when I'm gone."

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2007 12:06:10 PM PDT
J. Yoo says:
I have heard it is revealed in her later books (mainly the Messenger) that Jonas does in fact live and is now known as the Leader.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2007 8:59:40 AM PST
Doll-ar says:
yep, (SPOILER WARNING! SPOILER WARNING!) Jonas lives in Messenger. I myself haven't read Messenger, but I heard it from somebody. [quote="she"] Um, there is more. There's a sequel, Messenger, which proves that Jonas is, in fact, NOT . [/quote]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2008 9:26:26 PM PST
Years ago, the week right after my seventh grade class read this, my teacher wrote to Lois Lowry and asked her the things we all wanted to know.
The only one that I remember is "Did Jonas die in the end?".
Lowry replied that it is up to the reader to decide Jona's fate.
However she would like to think that one of two things happened;
Jonas died, and his memories and feelings were released upon the community (thus liberating everyone),
OR
Jonas lived and finally found a place where he himself could finally be free, and the Memories were either given back to The Giver and another Receiver was chosen, or he broke the community's barrier and everyone could sense and love and feel again.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2009 12:17:16 AM PDT
JR Corry says:
I emailed the author. Jonas definitely lives.

Posted on Jun 28, 2009 10:54:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 28, 2009 10:59:26 PM PDT
When I first read The Giver, I believed that both he and the child Gabriel died; I felt that it was a great commentary on the quality of life. I also believed that the ending was a great discussion point for students; therefore, I focused on what they thought more than what I thought. Of course, as others have indicated, "Messanger" the third book in the companion series brings "The Giver" and "Gathering Blue" and its characters together.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2009 7:20:51 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 11, 2012 1:06:06 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 1, 2009 10:12:42 AM PDT
Robin says:
What about the baby Gabriel?

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2010 12:21:46 PM PDT
Mrs. B says:
Or the Giver could be dead and have joined Rosemary, thus releasing his memories of music to the Community.

Posted on Sep 26, 2010 10:43:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 26, 2010 10:46:03 AM PDT
Rosie says:
"The Messenger" and "Gathering Blue" finish out the trilogy. They are well worth the read and I recommend using all three books in class as a lit study.

The books do not come right out and say what the fate of Jonas and Gabriel are. You must inference to figure it out.

Posted on Sep 30, 2010 5:56:24 AM PDT
L. Madsen says:
I just read the Messenger. Jonas lives and is now the leader of "Villiage," his new community.The members here proudly display the sled that he arrived on...
Gabriel's fate is never clealy stated. I was initially curious if he could be one of the other characters in the book who would be approximately the right age. However, as in the Giver, it was so distinctive to have blue eyes, and there was no mention of anyone else having blue eyes. So we're still left to wonder about Gabriel...

Posted on Sep 30, 2010 6:12:44 AM PDT
L. Madsen says:
I just read the Messenger. Jonas lives and is now the leader of "Villiage," his new community.The members here proudly display the sled that he arrived on...
Gabriel's fate is never clealy stated. I was initially curious if he could be one of the other characters in the book who would be approximately the right age. However, as in the Giver, it was so distinctive to have blue eyes, and there was no mention of anyone else having blue eyes. So we're still left to wonder about Gabriel...

Posted on Dec 11, 2010 6:45:05 PM PST
The reader decides for theirself whether Jonas lives or not- one of the many wonderful things about this book. It gives the reader a choice, a choice Jonas did not have.

Posted on Mar 29, 2011 7:28:50 AM PDT
S. Lindstrom says:
So he is close to death from the cold and lack of food, he closes his eyes to bring up the memory of the sled and the Christmas scene... so he can live? That scene was not real- he did not go traveling equipped with a sled that didn't exist in his town to slide down a hill to a house which only exists in his mind. He did this to ease the death of himself and Gabriel. How is the author going to finish the book this way and claim he lives?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2011 10:58:01 AM PDT
Post the email.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2011 5:20:11 PM PDT
Ulyyf says:
By putting his sled in a museum that houses the objects everybody used when they came to their little town in the forest.

It's an inane plot point in a weak book. I wouldn't think about it if I were you.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2011 11:08:45 AM PDT
L. Hurd says:
You should have given a spoiler alert like Doll-ar did. Thanks for ruining it for those of us who haven't read the sequels yet.

Posted on May 25, 2011 9:25:42 PM PDT
Jonas definitely lives. In the sequels Messenger and Gathering Blue it shows that he is alive and that Gabe is briefly described as a mischievous boy.

Posted on May 25, 2011 9:27:21 PM PDT
Jonas definitely lives. In the sequels Messenger and Gathering Blue it shows that he is alive and that Gabe is briefly described as a mischievous boy.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 7:02:12 AM PDT
You are probably right, but I do not like books without an ending!

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2013 12:02:42 PM PDT
Alicia Adams says:
Good point! Jonas couldn't hallucinate music when he didn't even know what it was.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2013 8:16:54 PM PDT
I thought he died too. Because why would there be the sled on top of a hill just randomly? That was odd.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  23
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  May 12, 2007
Latest post:  Aug 6, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Giver
The Giver by Lois Lowry (Paperback - January 24, 2006)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (7,094)