Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 18, 2009 6:33:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2009 6:39:15 AM PST
Gail Doby says:
Yes is the simple answer.

I received an advance copy of Andy's book in the mail with a sticky note attached..."Hey, Bub! So you got this cool book for free..." I'm not really a "Bub," but it was a cute note anyway.

After reading the first few chapters of Word of Mouth Marketing, I thought, "nothing new here." I read further, and all of a sudden, I had four of my own sticky notes filled with promotional ideas for my business.

I emailed Andy and asked him to do an interview. He graciously accepted. Why did I do this? I was looking for a speaker for our Interior Design Summit, and it occurred to me that his deceptively simple message could be used by the small interior design firms that are struggling to stand out in the crowd.

When the economy is down, why spend money on elaborate brochures and slick advertising? It doesn't do nearly as much as giving someone something memorable.

What does Andy's gift of the free book do for him? He gets in front of an audience of thousands of interior designers in early March and shares his startlingly simple ideas that can help them create their own buzz (and probably sells hundreds of his books in the process - in fact, we will give some away to our attendees).

Bravo, Andy! Thanks for your generosity. You truly understand the principle of reciprocity.

By the way, when I asked Andy how I received this freebie in the mail, here is the short story. He told each of his students at Northwestern to pick one person to whom he should send his book and they sent out 50 advance copies. Someone picked me. Why? Probably because I use Web 2.0 marketing everyday.

Thank you very much for picking me, whoever you are. Be sure and contact me through my website so I can send you a thank you, too. http://www.DesignSuccessU.com
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  1
Total posts:  1
Initial post:  Jan 18, 2009
Latest post:  Jan 18, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Word of Mouth Marketing: How Smart Companies Get People Talking
Word of Mouth Marketing: How Smart Companies Get People Talking by Andy Sernovitz (Hardcover - November 1, 2006)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (184)