Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?: A Rock 'n' Roll Memoir
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Drowners Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Showing 1-10 of 84 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
on May 10, 2011
If you were hoping to find out things about the band and Steven your sort of in luck.But you must wade through another 300 or so pages of Tyler complaining how everyone else is an a**hole and he isn't.After reading about how he has tried quitting drugs about 50 times you yell "enough already".I am a recovering addict myself and yes people slip but when he's telling you that he's snorting lunesta?? you just want to scream.As far as his ongoing battles with Joe Perry,again it's Joes fault it's Joes wifes fault it's the managers fault ETC.

He does surprise you with his musical knowledge as far as writing music and playing it,but again it's like pulling teeth to get to the good parts.Some parts were very interesting but again when he starts giving reviews of Re-Habs as you would a restaurant it gets very old very quickly.

Save the money and get this from your library.
22 comments|51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 22, 2011
I'm a rock 'n roll fan and also a mental health professional that's been in the field for over twenty years. Tyler's book is an interesting read for the most part, but problably not for the reasons he intended.

Tyler basically comes across as completely self-absorbed and narcissitic. All his various problems and addictions are caused by unfeeling band members, managers, wives, girlfriend, etc. Nothing is his responsibility. In one section that's unintentionally funny, he talks about his serial infidelity (it's a rock 'n roll thing) and blames his wife for being unfeeling and uncaring. Doesn't she know screwing a lot of women is a job requirement? Why can't she understand Steven's just doing his job? He ends the chapter talking about how lonely it is to be a rock star. Poor guy.

Other than Joe Perry, his fellow band members are barely mentioned. Tom Hamilton co-wrote "Sweet Emotion" and Brad Whitford co-wrote "Last Child," two of the band's biggest hits; yet you never learn anything about them personally, or what they contributed to the band. Tyler does thoughtfully mention the various band members penis sizes (surprise, Tyler is the biggest dick).

To be fair, the book was entertaining for the most part. Tyler is obviously a talented singer and songwriter. However it's hard to get beyond the overweening self-absorption. As a mental health professional, the book is almost a treatise on narcissism (lack of empathy for others, grandiosity, a sense of "specialness" and entitlement along with the belief no one understands their "specialness").

If one wants to understand Steven Tyler's chronic drug dependence and endless rehabs that is where you start. A talented man.....not a very good human being.
99 comments|12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 15, 2011
I was excited to get this book, something I've been looking forward to for a couple of years. But it is not something I feel compelled to keep reading like some books make me want to do. I feel like Steven was likely using as he penned some of the chapters. Otherwise why such glamorization of something that took so much from you. At 63, I think that one would care more about what his children and grandchildren who may read the book would feel. I would care about their feelings and would take care not to trash their mothers and I wouldn't dedicate a book that that to my mom. The way he talks of women is disparaging.
Truly, the noise in Steven's head does bother me. I didn't think it would. I've been a fan for so many years. "Walk This Way" made me think I could understand the band and generally understood their personalities. There is a dichotomy between Steven's true self and his public persona. And what I thought I knew of Steven doesn't come through in his book.
I think fans of American Idol that are buying this will think so much less of Steven. I wonder what Tyler thought the masses would think of this. However reading these reviews many think the book it great, so perhaps I'm just wrong.
His long time "blue army" can put these stories in perspective. They can also pick them apart because we know our stuff! There are so many errors in the timelines and the songs etc etc. I thought that's what editors do-- or their staff check things like that. Even the pictures are dated incorrectly.
His story of the child he refers to as "Little Oral Annie" will likely shock the American Idol fans that buy his book. If facts are checked she was actually younger than 16.
I battled that in my mind for a while when I first heard of it. I let it go because I thought the things Steven and the rest of Aerosmith have done for me in my life, outweigh this.
I am in the middle of the book so I will wait before I decide completely, but right now I feel so disappointed because I really don't want to think this is what Steven wanted to leave as his legacy. At least not the Steven I've met as a fan not a friend, but still he was kind and soulful, not brash and mean.
This book was obviously cathartic for him, but what you say when you want to get something off your chest may not be something you want to be published for millions and be the legacy you've left with your name as the author.
44 comments|15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 5, 2011
Reading about rock stars and their insane lives of excess is one of my guilty pleasures. I find the rise to success intriguing and then there are always the drugs, the girls, the inevitable rehab, more rehab and the stories behind the story. You know, how a song originated, what the lyrics really mean, why he fell off the stage. Then there's also the feuds with band mates, personal relationships and dirty little secrets of other stars they party with. It all makes for a delicious, entertaining read.

Steve's bio is no different, all the goods are here, and he doesn't hold anything back (understatement) the only thing is in order to get to "the goods" you have to wade through utter randomness to find them. Yes Steve the noise is your head does bother me because most of the time I can't keep up with what you're talking about.

This is written exactly how Tyler talks (and sings) with a what-will-he-say next, conversationally feel to it. And while its fun it's also bizarre, crazy and at times difficult to follow. Jumping all over the place without a logical timeline and obscure song lyrics and poems thrown in whenever he feels like it. He wants to sniff J.Lo, he's doing lines on tour, he's driving around in a yellow convertible with some hot babe, suddenly he's back in school, he's married, he's in rehab, it's all Joe Perry's fault, this is what black tastes like, I like to walk naked in my garden and talk to fairies.

Page 90 "I sat down at the drums and wrote the drum line for Walk This Way. You want the story now or when we get to Toys in the Attic? Hey, I never said this was gonna be a completely linear read. How could it be? (Ha!) But we're on DRUMS so... what the f---"

Anyways maybe if I were a true Aerosmith fan I would have appreciated this more, I don't know? As it was though once I was able to turn the noise down there was a lot of interesting stuff here because at 63 and with 40 years in the business Steve has seen and done it all with everyone.

As expected theres a ton of drug use here which actually gets kind of boring after a while I will admit though at being surprised when after12 years of sobriety, a slew of health problems (Hepatitis C, false brain tumour diagnosis, torn ACL, broken blood vessel in throat and all the problems with his twisted feet) sent him spinning out of control with an addiction to post surgery pain meds and back for an 8th stint in rehab in 2009.

He goes into great detail about his wardrobe and scarves which I'm sure will interest some and although his "brother" Joe Perry's name is mentioned throughout we learn little about their ongoing love/hate relationship. We also hear about his wives (3 and counting), his children (4 and counting) and how Aerosmith always came before his family. I personally found the sections on song writing super interesting; the process, what the lyrics mean or in his case don't because sometimes he just likes how the words feel on his tongue. Cheers

With 32 pages of great photos fans will lick this up however I could only give it 3 stars because it took me ages to finish and at times drove me mad.
on June 6, 2011
Like many Americans, I was drawn to read Steven's memoir through his role on American Idol-aperfect addition to the show, I might add! To that end, it is voraciously apparent that he has done is fair fair share of drugs, and a smorgasbord, at that. The book is written just as Steven is talking, which is great! He is exceptionally colorful in his descriptions, which is what really kept me turning the pages. What was so incredibly tiresome was his CONSTANT reference is drug use...over and over and over. I realize it was/is a problem, but the 300 plus pages was enough! Just as Steven's thoughts jump around on TV, so do his thoughts in this book, making it difficult to read at times.

Overall, a fun read, but could have been cut by about 75 pages.
on September 11, 2015
a good story... it is somewhat amazing Tyler and his band lived through it. but I was never a big fan of his music and was not a fan of this book either. About half way I lost interest and never finished it.
on May 30, 2011
Sex, drugs, and rock and roll. That is what Steven Tyler is known for, and that is what he writes about. Self indulgent, self absorbed? Sure...but he talks about how managers and promoters all catered to the band, made sure they had what they wanted...food, drugs, girls...you name it. And as he ages, he tries to stay clean, but his life on stage has taken a toll on his physical health....to a guy who makes his living dancing and prancing, has to be difficult! He is lucky to be alive, after all that he his done to his body, but he isn't going to go into old age quietly. His personality comes through in this book, and people who are complaining about it being too raunchy and graphic should realize that this is a story about his life. What would be the point of sugar coating it?

Like other reviewers, I had trouble following the book in places, especially in the beginning. Steven has ADD, and if you didn't know that before you read this book, you'll figure it out pretty quickly. A little tighter editing would have helped, but would that have taken away from his personality? At times, the book became tedious, as he went on and on about the excesses of the 70s. I wasn't shocked by anything I read, after all, this was what the band was known for. Kind of funny, at times while reading some of his over the top tales, I had flashbacks to Spinal Tap! That mocumentary wasn't too far off, was it? Steven even references that movie in the book.

Overall, it was a fairly interesting read...I just wish I hadn't bought it, but borrowed it from the library. This book is really only for true fans of Aerosmith or children of the 70s. Fans of Idol won't get it.
on June 21, 2011
If this book had been written by somebody else I would have dismissed it at someone trying to destroy Steven Tyler's image to sell books. I mean, I expected the requisite debauchery and mayhem that comes with a rock 'n' roll bio, but he truly comes across as one of the most unlikable people in the history of music. From the persepective of a psychological study, however, I found this book fascinating. He discusses his time at Sierra Tuscon and is dismissive of the doctors saying, "After I left there, I had six or seven isms hung around my neck: drug addict, alchoholic, sex addict, codependent, family concerns, anger management....oh, and did I mention compulsive narcissism?" The funny thing is, he'd spent the previous 267 pages of the books proving he was every single one of those things! And the part where he's enraged with his ex-wife for cheating on him was almost too much to be believed. Basically if you want to like Steven Tyler don't read this book. If you want a look inside the head of a very messed up person I highly recommend it.
on December 8, 2011
Steven Tyler is a very intelligent, talented and colorful character, and I've loved him since the '70s. I was surprised the book rambled on so much and was so disjointed. It really made it hard to follow and didn't keep me interested. The photos were the best part of the book, and I ended up just skimming chapters looking for interesting parts. Sorry Steven -- but heavier editing would have helped.
on January 30, 2013
Had it not been for the audio-book, I doubt I could have read it as Mr. Tallarico/Tyler seems to ramble a bit. The audio is excellent because it's well-read (hat's off to the narrator (who is not Tyler).

I've read many musician auto-biographies and would rate this on the slightly better-than-average. In my opinion the best are Miles Davis (and I'm not a big jazz fan), Keith Richards "Life," Clapton, Patti Boyd, Dave Mustaine, Slash's is good too, but it made me dislike GNR even more that I had to begin with. The best autobiography so far has been, , believe it or not... David Lee Roth's autobiography.

Tyler's is upfront and peronal but tends to ramble a bit to things that I believe only he can relate to, so at times, I believe it loses the listener or reader.

What I like about this, is that it's in-your-face, no-holds-barred musician/entertainer telling what it was like for him and his fellow Aerosmithers rise to fame.

At times he refers to much of his lyrics of which if you are not a true listener and fan, will lose you in his recitation and analyzation of his songs.

I'd recommend getting the audio versus the book. I think the book will lose the reader. On the other hand because it is so well-spoken (kudos to the narrator), it's as if you are sitting with Tyler himself having a couple of burgers and a couple of beers listening to him tell his story.

I recommend the audio version only.