Customer Discussions > Breathers: A Zombie's Lament forum

Does Not Compare to Brooks

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 25, 2009 6:59:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 25, 2009 7:02:45 PM PST
I received an ARC, and I haven't finished reading it yet, so I'm not posting an actual review.

However, I don't think this book should be compared to the Zombie Survival Guide. While both are considered humor books, the tones are completely different.

Don't misunderstand me -- I've enjoyed what I've read so far in Breathers, but if I had purchased this book expecting something like the ZSG, I would have been disappointed, and unable to enjoy the story for what it is.

I think it's a disservice to Browne to be compared to Brooks, instead of just saying, "If you like zombie stories, but are craving a new twist...read S.G. Browne's..." something to that effect.

Posted on Feb 28, 2009 10:08:19 AM PST
Harkius says:
I agree. It is a disservice to compare this to other zombie stories. Much as it is a disservice to compare most "Chick Lit" to Jane Austen.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2009 3:54:08 PM PST
Generally speaking, I wish publishers would stop using comparisons as a way of promoting books. Someone like Browne has tried very hard to be original as possible, and I think people would enjoy the book a lot more if they simply approached it as a zombie story -- literally.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2009 2:11:27 PM PST
Justin G. says:
It seems like a valid comparison to me. Sure, they're different books, but they're both zombie humor books, and that's not exactly a wide open genre.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2009 6:25:18 PM PST
My point is that they could have promoted the author's own work more -- Browne's book would sell without mentioning Brooks.

Posted on May 7, 2013 6:30:32 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 7, 2013 6:30:50 AM PDT]

Posted on May 7, 2013 6:36:58 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 7, 2013 7:07:27 AM PDT]

Posted on May 7, 2013 6:42:49 AM PDT
T. Austin says:
I would list Breathers as sentient zombie fiction. I've been looking for this subgenre in film (In the Flesh) and literature, and have noticed its growing popularity. Seriously, I'm thinking about compiling a list of all sentient zombie fiction and then contrasting and comparing them, with Breathers of course being one of the more significant entries.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2013 6:05:03 AM PDT
"Contrasting" being a key word...something like that makes more sense.

I forgot all about this post until the recent replies, but I still stand by my OP: ZSG is in a guide format, and Breathers is a story.

Peter, I think that would be great because there are a lot of people who seem to think that zombies books are comparable to zombie movies, and I think the zombie-lit genre has evolved far more than zombie films.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Feb 25, 2009
Latest post:  May 11, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Breathers: A Zombie's Lament
Breathers: A Zombie's Lament by S. G. Browne (Paperback - March 1, 2011)
4.2 out of 5 stars   (153)