Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Does Quantum of Solace Blu Ray require HDMI connection

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 31, 2009 11:16:57 AM PDT
Dave B says:
I have a 9 year old 38" tube HDTV that has been great. Great quality but only component connections. I have one of the original Blu Ray players, the Samsung BD-P1000. I just updated my firmware to the most recent update and Quantum of Solace still won't play. It gives me a message that HDMI connection is required. Does this mean this is one of the first Blu Ray DVD's that are not allowing component connection to keep us from copying the DVD via the component connections?

Posted on Mar 31, 2009 9:59:24 PM PDT
I am having the same problem. I contacted Samsung but after three emails, they tell me it must be my receiver. I doubt this but I had already returned the disc and bought the DVD edition and so I am unable to verify. Are you running your component cables directly to your tv or switching through a receiver?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2009 9:00:34 AM PDT
Dave B says:
I am running the cables through a component switcher. I returned the Blu Ray DVD as well and ordered the standard def DVD. I do know that when Blu Ray began the plan was to limit the quality coming out of the component connections for copy protection purposes. Maybe this is the first DVD with no component output. The HDMI has good copy protection. Right now I can copy movies via my component connection into Final Cut Pro in 1080i via a Kona video card. I know the movie companies don't want this happening. I have no need to do this since I just want to watch the DVD. Anyway, I hope enough DVD's get returned so the movie companies get a message that disabling component output means people in my position will have to buy new HDTV's.

Posted on Apr 4, 2009 12:00:33 AM PDT
M. rayburn says:
I am having the same issue coming from my Samsung BD-P1000 and Component setup. This sucks.

Posted on Apr 8, 2009 10:05:16 AM PDT
Alphaman says:
PS3 with component cables, through a Yamaha RX-V2500, to a Mitsubishi via component -- no problem, plays beautifully. HDMI enables HDCP, which prevents you from "stealing" something you've paid for. They'll have to take my Mits and component cables from my cold, dead, clenched hands...

Posted on Apr 8, 2009 10:42:50 AM PDT
It sounds like the BD-P1000 is the common factor with the problem then. Thanks Alphaman it sounds like I just need to upgrade the player not the TV.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Mar 31, 2009
Latest post:  Apr 8, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions