Does A Song of Ice and Fire Ever Get Less Depressing?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 14, 2011 7:20:09 PM PST
mfarmer says:
I just finished reading "A Clash of Kings" and was struck by how unremittingly depressing the storyline was - nothing good ever seems to happen to any of the characters you like, and there's a constant background of savage brutality, particularly to peasants and women.
I really want to like this series, but I'm not a fan of the tone this series is taking and I don't want to keep sinking time into it if there isn't going to be some kind of a payoff.

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 9:01:04 AM PST
Matt Riley says:
We don't know yet. The series isn't finished, so we obviously can't know how the series will resolve. But I can tell you that the brutality doesn't let up anytime soon. "Valar morguhlis" (All men must die) is a phrase that pops up later (in Storm of Swords, I think) and succinctly describes the final purpose of all of Martin's characters.

That said, the entire series is TOTALLY worth reading, in my opinion. Just don't get too attached to any of the good guys. (If it can even be said that there are any 'good guys' to be found.)

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 12:36:58 PM PST
Everett says:
When one stops to think on it, the lack of pure 'good guys' is really descriptive of all the world leaders. Real life; dark; depressing. :)

Posted on Jan 24, 2012 7:25:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 24, 2012 7:29:03 PM PST
Whitey Fords says:
I can assure you that if found "A Clash of Kings" depressing, "A Storm of Swords" will make you want to cut your wrists or jump off a tall building. Martin is a sadist. Real life Everett? Come on. If my family got screwed as much as the Starks do, I probably really would have jumped off a building by now. Then again, if my family were the Starks, George R.R. Martin would have killed them all off by now.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 12:10:32 PM PST
Nope. In fact it gets worse. If you haven't read book 3 by now, you probably shouldn't... It is even more depressing than book 2. In fact, now that I think about it, I can only think of one good thing that has happened so far in book 3 (950 pages in).

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 6:37:33 PM PDT
I agree with those above, just stop reading if you don't like the tone in Clash of King because Storm of Swords is MUCH worse. I stopped reading it a bit past half way through when yet more of the "good' characters died. Many of the characters I cared about are dead and those left have been through so much I have just stopped caring. This series really goes past dark and gritty and into the the realm of what is the point of anything.

Posted on Apr 8, 2013 4:27:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 8, 2013 6:48:14 PM PDT
MamaM says:
I really like ASOIAf, but am starting to feel the depression. Can anyone recommend a similar series/story where there's some more happy moments, justice is served and a hero or two might make it and get their revenge? With a nice love story intertwined? ;)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Dec 14, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 8, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire)
A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire) by George R. R. Martin (Hardcover - 2000)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (3,663)