Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 5, 2012
Funny, poignant, and achingly honest, "Does This Baby..." was impossible to put down. Every chapter held new surprises and laugh-out-loud moments that made me feel like I was right there on the rollercoaster of the parenting journey with Dan and his husband. From the uncertainties of how to discuss adoption with two children who are adopted, to how to appropriately flirt as a married, gay dad, Dan Bucatinsky expertly crafts his story in a unique, compelling voice that makes me only hope he will continue to chronicle his family's life as his children grow older. I'd be thrilled to see a Dan Bucatinsky book titled "Does This Teenager Make Me Look Old?" on bookshelves a decade from now!
on November 24, 2013
This book is fairly witty and fun but after a while, it starts to lose its luster and I felt like chapters were added on just to make the book longer, rather than having something interesting to say. It started off pretty well, with the chapters being in more chronological order, giving you the feeling like you're reading more of a story. However, about halfway in, the chapters start to become more disjointed and just a telling of random anecdotes.

Though the humor is never really "laugh out loud" funny, Bucatinsky is a good writer and his quirky wit shines throughout. I guess that it didn't connect for me after a while because I don't have kids or a life-partner. If that's your situation, then you'll probably appreciate it more, as a way to compare experiences. But for someone just reading it casually, it left a bit more to be desired...
on June 15, 2012
Dan is such a fabulous writer, you will be smiling and giggling into the night enjoying his valuable insights into human behavior. This is an important book, not only for gays and those accepting of gay lifestyles, but for those who haven't yet been lucky enough to know marvelous gay people and realize how silly their prejudice has been. Bravo Dan!

-Jacqueline Marcell, Author 'Elder Rage, or Take My Father... Please! How to Survive Caring for Aging Parents', International Speaker on Eldercare & Alzheimer's
on June 5, 2012
I loved how Bucatinsky wrote straightforwardly and at the beginning of the book exactly how he and his partner came to have their two children, instead of stashing it in a poem on page 157 like a lot of authors. If you want to know how this particular pair of men came to have a family together, read the book! It's funny, thoughtful, and--this is both a strength and a weakness--very much like the myriad other stories out there of other parents' experiences with parenthood.
on June 11, 2012
Dan Bucatinsky doesn't know everything about being a parent. Frankly, he knows about as much as I do. But that's because Dan, like me, is a gay dad, raising two kids with his husband (yes, we use that term, legal or not, so lump it). "Does This Baby Make Me Look Straight?" is a comic memoir of two men's journey to fatherhood. It is not the first of its kind, and I hope it won't be the last. I'll probably write one myself someday. When the kids are out of the house. Do I agree with everything Bucatinsky says? No, of course not. But I agree with everything he feels, and that's more to the point.

I always pick up these gay-dad memoirs when I hear of them, because they are always rewarding. The level of reward depends entirely on the skill of the writer, and Bucatinsky is an especially gifted comic writer. This is no surprise, given that he's an actor and writer and has actually been in real movies. (He's also adorable, and from what I've found, his partner Don Roos is handsome.) But there is something particularly gratifying about reading this book because of the passion that Bucatinsky puts into his story-telling. Inside many of the laugh-out-loud stories of the couple's misadventures in parenting are sharp, painful little darts of truth; truth that brings you up short and makes you gasp a little. Sometimes makes you cry.

There was not a page in this book that didn't resonate for me, for the choices my partner and I made as we sought to become parents in a world where gay dads are still far from the rule. It is hard to describe the pleasure, indeed the joy, it is to read a story that reflects our own; to have the affirmation that what we have done was indeed the right thing, for us and for the children who became ours.
VINE VOICEon July 6, 2013
It is a light hearted and very moving read about two gay men and their two kids. As I am sure you can guess the writer mostly discusses trials and tribulations of parenthood, but also reflect on himself and his husband, how being parents changed them both and all expected and seemingly surprising thoughts I think every parent (or want to be parent) may recognize. The writing is really awesome (I laughed a lot), if the topic is something you can tolerate, I can highly recommend this book.
on December 7, 2013
Good book. A wee bit sanctimonious at times. Author feels need to remind us that he is young and hot while his significant other is old and decrepit. True wit should be a rubber sword that makes a point but doesn't draw blood. That said, when the book turns towards the kids being raised, this book shines and is an enjoyable read.
on June 12, 2012
Dan Bucatinsky has written a memoir that every parent can relate too! It's smart & insightful without being all knowing and preachy. It's funny and heartfelt without being sickeningly sweet and overly gooey! It's just the perfect combination of wry humor and heart that makes you realize that every parent is searching for answers on parenting and every parent questions the choices they're making as they raise their kids and more importantly every parent at some point is gonna have to pull or smell their kids finger one day! Bravo For A Book Well Done!
on June 6, 2012
Early in his book, Dan Bucatinsky mentions that he and his partner found inspiration in Dan Savage's wonderful book, The Kid. I did, too, and read that book as a very young gay man who hoped that one day I would have a family of my own. Later, when I was pretty sure that I would be alone forever, I found a lot of comfort in Bucatinsky's touching film, All Over the Guy. Today, as a gay man raising two adopted sons with my husband, I read Does This Baby Make Me Look Straight as someone who absolutely recognizes the anecdotes, the humor, and the challenges that come with being a gay dad.

Bucatinsky describes, in deeply personal detail, his truth. And it's a truth that I recognize easily. From concerns that your family's homestudy reads as "too gay," (whatever that means) to your children fighting over which parent they want to drive the car, you hear Bucatinsky's sense of humor about the absurdity of life. When he describes meeting parents who want a token gay friend, I laughed and pointed the passage out to my husband. "We've been right there, too!" I said.

There are some missteps in the book. Bucatinsky describes his parents' concern that being fat is a terrible thing, and he seems to understand the negative impact that had on him. But he's so concerned that his daughter will think it's ok to be fat that he hedges on telling her not to call another child fat. (As if any kid in America is lacking for messages about body image!) And when he describes being manipulated and lied to in a horrific way, the worst thing he can find say about the perpetrator is that she was fat. These moments stand out because Bucatinsky is otherwise incredibly self-aware.

Usually, though, the book is warm, funny, and perceptive. I stayed up later than I intended to reading it, and my sons made sure that I didn't catch up on that lost sleep in the morning.
on June 9, 2012
My partner and I are going through everything Dan and Don went through. It's crazy how spot on this book is about the adoption experience. This is an absolute must for anyone thinking of raising a child in a same sex household. It's also laugh out loud funny and incredibly moving (yes, I teared up when Dan was describing his Father's last days). I know what I'll be buying all my friends for Christmas this year....