5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious and fun, couldn't put it down
Published on June 5, 2012 by Shannon Connolly

3.0 out of 5 stars Does this Baby Make Me Look Straight?
I purchased this because I wanted to understand how a gay Dad feels and thinks. I found that it really isn't much different from how a straight Dad thinks. It was reviewed as hilarious. While I did find it humorous, the word hilarious didn't apply. Cute, but I wouldn't purchase it again. And no, I am not homophobic.
Published 5 months ago by Jean T Siekman

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious and fun, couldn't put it down, June 5, 2012
This review is from: Does This Baby Make Me Look Straight?: Confessions of a Gay Dad (Paperback)
Funny, poignant, and achingly honest, "Does This Baby..." was impossible to put down. Every chapter held new surprises and laugh-out-loud moments that made me feel like I was right there on the rollercoaster of the parenting journey with Dan and his husband. From the uncertainties of how to discuss adoption with two children who are adopted, to how to appropriately flirt as a married, gay dad, Dan Bucatinsky expertly crafts his story in a unique, compelling voice that makes me only hope he will continue to chronicle his family's life as his children grow older. I'd be thrilled to see a Dan Bucatinsky book titled "Does This Teenager Make Me Look Old?" on bookshelves a decade from now!

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, creative, and sweet, June 5, 2012
I loved how Bucatinsky wrote straightforwardly and at the beginning of the book exactly how he and his partner came to have their two children, instead of stashing it in a poem on page 157 like a lot of authors. If you want to know how this particular pair of men came to have a family together, read the book! It's funny, thoughtful, and--this is both a strength and a weakness--very much like the myriad other stories out there of other parents' experiences with parenthood.

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting Read with LOL Humor!, June 15, 2012
Dan is such a fabulous writer, you will be smiling and giggling into the night enjoying his valuable insights into human behavior. This is an important book, not only for gays and those accepting of gay lifestyles, but for those who haven't yet been lucky enough to know marvelous gay people and realize how silly their prejudice has been. Bravo Dan!

-Jacqueline Marcell, Author 'Elder Rage, or Take My Father... Please! How to Survive Caring for Aging Parents', International Speaker on Eldercare & Alzheimer's

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put it down!!, June 15, 2012
I LOVED this book. Hilarious, poignant, and resonant. Gay or straight,
parent or not, this book is a must read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartfelt & Hilarious, June 12, 2012
Dan Bucatinsky has written a memoir that every parent can relate too! It's smart & insightful without being all knowing and preachy. It's funny and heartfelt without being sickeningly sweet and overly gooey! It's just the perfect combination of wry humor and heart that makes you realize that every parent is searching for answers on parenting and every parent questions the choices they're making as they raise their kids and more importantly every parent at some point is gonna have to pull or smell their kids finger one day! Bravo For A Book Well Done!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, June 12, 2012
D. Shapiro (Tucson, Arizona USA) - See all my reviews
Don't let Dan Bucatinsky's laugh out loud book distract you from the truth that this is really a book about what families are and can be. It's a lucid look at modern fatherhood too -- I was particularly struck by his writing about adoption and the interplay of being a son and father. Like many comic writers, his timing and eye for the poignant is terrific. Bravo. Snort. Cry. More please.

5.0 out of 5 stars So spot on it's scary., June 9, 2012
A. GOLDSTONE (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
My partner and I are going through everything Dan and Don went through. It's crazy how spot on this book is about the adoption experience. This is an absolute must for anyone thinking of raising a child in a same sex household. It's also laugh out loud funny and incredibly moving (yes, I teared up when Dan was describing his Father's last days). I know what I'll be buying all my friends for Christmas this year....

5.0 out of 5 stars Required Reeding For All Parents! (or if your're thinking about becoming a parent), June 6, 2012
Just finished Dan Bucatinsky's book and really loved it. Having raised a kid, I really identified with the aspects of unconditional love and the hilarity of the unexpected foibles, all coupled with trying to be a good parent and not really screw up your kids.

I loved the heart in the book and really thought the story of their family was just great. I'd add this book to the required reading list for people thinking about being parents and getting ready to be parents.

Does This Baby Make Me Look Straight?

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, touching and totally true., June 11, 2012
Ulysses Dietz (New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
Dan Bucatinsky doesn't know everything about being a parent. Frankly, he knows about as much as I do. But that's because Dan, like me, is a gay dad, raising two kids with his husband (yes, we use that term, legal or not, so lump it). "Does This Baby Make Me Look Straight?" is a comic memoir of two men's journey to fatherhood. It is not the first of its kind, and I hope it won't be the last. I'll probably write one myself someday. When the kids are out of the house. Do I agree with everything Bucatinsky says? No, of course not. But I agree with everything he feels, and that's more to the point.

I always pick up these gay-dad memoirs when I hear of them, because they are always rewarding. The level of reward depends entirely on the skill of the writer, and Bucatinsky is an especially gifted comic writer. This is no surprise, given that he's an actor and writer and has actually been in real movies. (He's also adorable, and from what I've found, his partner Don Roos is handsome.) But there is something particularly gratifying about reading this book because of the passion that Bucatinsky puts into his story-telling. Inside many of the laugh-out-loud stories of the couple's misadventures in parenting are sharp, painful little darts of truth; truth that brings you up short and makes you gasp a little. Sometimes makes you cry.

There was not a page in this book that didn't resonate for me, for the choices my partner and I made as we sought to become parents in a world where gay dads are still far from the rule. It is hard to describe the pleasure, indeed the joy, it is to read a story that reflects our own; to have the affirmation that what we have done was indeed the right thing, for us and for the children who became ours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, July 6, 2013
It is a light hearted and very moving read about two gay men and their two kids. As I am sure you can guess the writer mostly discusses trials and tribulations of parenthood, but also reflect on himself and his husband, how being parents changed them both and all expected and seemingly surprising thoughts I think every parent (or want to be parent) may recognize. The writing is really awesome (I laughed a lot), if the topic is something you can tolerate, I can highly recommend this book.

Does This Baby Make Me Look Straight?: Confessions of a Gay Dad
Does This Baby Make Me Look Straight?: Confessions of a Gay Dad by Dan Bucatinsky (Paperback - June 5, 2012)
$14.99 $11.44