5.0 out of 5 stars Worth your time to read
Published on February 16, 2008 by Teacher Jeanne

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
I was really disappointed with this book, having enjoyed his last one. In fact, there are multiple instances in this book where he suggests reading "It's All Too Much". I'd take his advice one step further and say read that book and skip this one, as this is really only applying the principles from that book to the kitchen.

There's nothing groundbreaking here -...
Published on March 31, 2008 by Jay Dreyer

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, March 31, 2008
This review is from: Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat?: An Easy Plan for Losing Weight and Living More (Hardcover)

There's nothing groundbreaking here - basically, clean up your kitchen so you'll use it. Stop eating out, reduce portion sizes, plan ahead about what you'll eat for the week and think about what you're putting into your body. That's it. Common sense stuff everyone knows but finds difficult to put into practice.

I'll say it again, if you haven't read "It's All Too Much", do yourself a favor and get it now. That book was life changing in how it forces you to think about your stuff and your relationship with it. This book doesn't come close to that, at least for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth your time to read, February 16, 2008
Teacher Jeanne (Alta Loma, California) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I have read the first three chapters of this book and find it to be easy to read and understand and full of valuable information. If you're like me and you're just discovering that your living space is a reflection of your own body then you will find this book enlightening. I come from a family of fat cluttered people. Since starting to read this book, and watching Peter on Oprah, I have started to declutter both my house and my body. It is not a diet book with recipes and calorie counting. This is a book about how to change your relationship with food and clutter. I look forward to continuing this book and continuing my less cluttered life.

**********************************************************************
Update: I am still reading this but stopped to pick up his first book in the middle. He gets to the point where he says he is not going to rehash his whole first book. He only spends 10 pages on your whole house before focusing in on the kitchen. So this book is now paused while I check out the first book that is supposed be more of a step by step to declutter your whole house. I don't think you HAVE to read his first one, but I want to do this all the way so I am going to myself. I still think this books is worth the time and investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank You,, Peter!!, February 11, 2008
Peter Walsh continues to lead us in the journey of a less cluttered life. This is not a diet book, it's a life changing book. In his own no-nonsense style, Peter shows us that an over-stuffed life can lead to an over-stuffed body. Peter reminds us that we are a society of too much. He attempts to remind us a clean, organized lifestyle will help us to find the path that will take us to a healthy body and spirit. No recipes, no meal plans, no caloric values most of us know the basics already. This book is about changing the way you operate in your life from your home living situation to what you put in your mouth. It makes you think using a organized mind instead of a rushed disorganized mind. If you enjoyed his book "IT'S ALL TOO MUCH" and you need to lose some excess body clutter, read this book. It just might change your life

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Insightful, April 5, 2008
The title of the book is certainly an attention-getter, but I wasn't sure whether a clutter expert really had much to say about overeating and struggling to lose weight. I'd never read any of his other books or seen him on TV. What motivated me to buy this book was a review I read in People magazine. Peter Walsh said that he saw a connection between overstuffed bodies and overstuffed homes. Knowing that I was definitely a part of his demographic, I was curious to see what he had to say about it. I found his book intelligent and informative. He takes a down-to-earth, no-nonsense kind of approach to addressing the issues, but is also funny and human (as opposed to, say, something more clinical and "professional".) He makes no claims to be a weight-loss or nutrition or fitness expert. He writes as someone with lots of experience in helping other people organize their lives and get out from under things that are weighing them down. As I read through the book, I found myself highlighting many passages that resonated with me. In one quote, he kind of sums up the whole theme of his approach to weight loss: "The starting point for change is the vision you hold in your mind for the life you want to live." This is not a book for people looking for the next miracle diet. This is for people who want to make serious and lasting lifestyle changes. Another quote that resonated with me: "An imbalanced relationship with food doesn't have a place in your best life. At the very least, overeating is a hurdle to achieving the life you want. At its worst, it's life-threatening. You can't invest time in any better work than this. It's an investment toward the life you want for yourself." I fouind this book to be inspirational and motivational, and copied some of his quotes into my diet journal to help keep me on track. I recommend it to anyone struggling with these issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth it if you're ready to make a change., April 16, 2008
Kelly Fine (Vacaville, CA) - See all my reviews
I bought this book along with his other one "It's All too Much!". I suggest reading the first book, then this one because it sets the ground work and you'll get an understanding of where he's going. It was so freeing to get rid of stuff in my cupboard that "maybe I'll make someday". I had pudding in there that was 10 years old. I then made menus, and did grocery shopping. I made what I shopped for, and with the exception of buying fruit /veggies and sandwiches one night, we had enough for a week and a half! This is because in the book he tells you not to bring in anymore stuff until you finish what you have, or use it to plan the next week's menus. This is a great way to save money and be more thoughtful about what you're making. I've only had the book for a month, so whether I'll lose anything remains to be seen. I have dieted since high school. I know tons about nutrition, portion sizes, fat, calories, exercise, etc. This book is not going to give you the latest and greatest fad. It is about getting to the bottom of what's in our kitchens and clearing our heads to focus on what we all know about healthy diets and nutrition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clutter Makes Your Life FAT, September 9, 2008
This book goes beyond Peter Walsh's "It's All Too Much". In that book he focused on the clutter in our homes. This time he deals with that clutter first and then on how it affects our "butts." He maintains that if our lives are filled with clutter then our eating habits are probably chaotic and filled with excess and junk too.

Walsh delves into the kitchen to clear it of useless gadgets and food clutter.

I especially like Walsh's one size does NOT fit all approach, "You'll notice that I'm not being specific about foods you keep and what has to go. when it comes to healthier living one size does not fit all. We are individuals, and you need to make a commitment to decisions that work for you." And, "We both know you are perfectly aware of what you should and should not be eating. So enough of the charts and tables and portion measuring devices that clutter your life."

His book is packed with great lists to work through, and tons of practical, encouraging tips and some obvious but perhaps forgotten lines:
Chew your food
Eat your vegetables
Get a good night's sleep
Don't fill up on bread
Don't talk with your mouth full
Your eyes are bigger than your belly

His food clutter principle, "Recognize and celebrate every meal you enjoy. It will remind you of the great things a meal provides, beyond just the food." Walsh even pays homage to the practice of saying grace before a meal, "The expression of common prayer forced everyone at the table to stop, pause, and reflect."

He ends with some really terrific "Don'ts":

Don't start with the "stuff", start with a clear idea of the life you want to be living.

Don't obsess. I care about you. I can't stand the idea of your turning into one of those people whose whole life is spent figuring out how not to eat a single potato chip.

Don't count calories or eat fake foods or go to someone's house for dinner and tell them you brought your own meal.

This book is really encouraging and really practical.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, but BEWARE ordering this, November 24, 2008
Not long after having bought this book on Amazon.com, I received a 'free trial' package for "Wu Yi Tea," a weight loss tea. I have never heard of this stuff, much less ordered it; however, since this was mailed to the same address as my Amazon order, out of curiosity I searched Amazon.com store on weight loss teas, and THIS book is one of the recommended items with the tea product.

The "mystery tea" was billed to the same account that the purchase of this book from Amazon was, within days after my book purchase. A charge of $4.95 (which ended up being "for shipping & handling") appeared from a company called QFL, Inc. Check them out on the BBB website (they have an "unsatisfactory" rating):

[...]

Coincidentally enough, the unwanted tea shipped to the SAME address that the previous book order had been shipped to (it wasn't my home address). How can something that I didn't order be billed to me AND shipped to a friend's address by accident? Good question.

Other than this scary experience that no doubt is just starting to take shape, the book itself is very good. It is EXCELLENT. I was a diehard packrat, and this book provided a perspective I hadn't anticipated -- it just made SO much sense. Just buy it elsewhere. If you do buy it from Amazon.com, PLEASE monitor your billing account for a charge from QFL, Inc. for $4.95.

4.0 out of 5 stars Same song, second verse -- still good, March 18, 2008
Blue Sage (New Mexico, USA) - See all my reviews
For those who have read Walsh's It's All Too Much, much of the material will be familiar. However, Walsh and co-author Hilary Liftin manage to give a fresh spin on Walsh's basic premise, that it's not about the stuff or the fat, it's about living the life one is meant to live. No recipes, no menus, no exercises, just plenty of practical suggestions for making constructive change. Does it work? Yes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not done w/it yet, but worth a read., March 19, 2008
ChickWAView (Bartlett, IL United States) - See all my reviews
Peter Walsh addresses one's pant size in a way that I've never seen addressed before. He is one of the few people who hit the nail on the head for me. He took everything I have ever known/read about weight loss and got to the point. For me, it happens to be that chaos sends me snacking and in search of comfort food.

It helped me, a relatively organized person until recently, get a few more things organized and working the way I want them to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Peter Walsh Does It Again!, April 13, 2008
Peter Walsh has produced another great How To book, this time drawing a connection between the clutter around us and the clutter ON us. What he has to say makes great sense to me--enough so that I'm quitting dieting, getting rid of my clutter and letting my efforts just spill over into helping me achieve my weight loss goals.

Used & New from: $0.01