Customer Discussions > The Tudors: Season 1 forum

Does This DVD Set Have English Captions?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 2, 2008 3:02:03 AM PST
MN Sunny C. says:
Hello All,

Since my hearing is not the greatest, I need to have English captions. Could anyone that owns or has seen a copy of this DVD set please confirm if there are, or are not English captions on this DVD?

Thank you very much for your time reading this and hopefully for replying to this too!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2008 6:23:20 AM PST
Z. Tang says:
no.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2008 6:11:24 PM PDT
A. Reap says:
Sorry Minnesota. I too have some hearing difficulty and was upset when i bought the DVD set it does not have captions. I do not know how severe your hearing is, but for the most part the DVD set has good sound quality and there are only a few times I could not understand what was being said. I hope this helps.

Also The Tudors books that they have right here on amazon are script books of the series.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2008 9:01:50 PM PDT
M. Small says:
I rented my DVD from Netflix and yes, it has captions in English. I too am hard of hearing and want those captions.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2008 7:35:41 AM PDT
E. BJORNSSON says:
I bought this from http://amazon.com, and there are definitely
closed captions on my set. I'm not sure why anyone would
tell you differently.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2008 10:59:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 8, 2008 10:59:32 AM PDT
Jenna W. says:
I rented the first DVD from the set from Blockbuster in Canada and it did not have captions. The box did not have any of the CC symbols on it either.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2008 8:19:37 PM PDT
hexian says:
This set does not use dvd format subtitles, however, the video signal does include the standard vertical blanking style of closed caption as is broadcast on television. This works perfectly fine on my composite DVD/TV setup. However, my progressive DVD player/component connection setup cannot display these, and I would assume no similar connection could either.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2008 10:04:11 AM PDT
mimihopps says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2008 3:00:41 PM PDT
Stormy says:
Okay, so i bought mine and it said it did but i was not able to get to it so i was straining trying to hear everything.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2008 6:38:10 AM PDT
I have high frequency deafness, so I can't distinguish a lot of consonants, especially in a high-pitched voice. Though English is my native language and I have no trouble with standard British or American pronunciation, the difficulty in understanding made the series unwatchable for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2008 6:44:19 AM PDT
The copy I rented from Blockbuster clearly stated it had closed captions; however, the cursor skipped over the closed caption choice on the menu when I tried to select it. I have a DVD player built into my RCA TV set and was using that. I keep the closed caption feature on the TV on all the time, but no captions showed as I played the DVD. Any ideas how I could get captions? Thanks.

Posted on Mar 3, 2009 6:04:46 PM PST
Cynthia Ewer says:
I'm returning mine, as I am hard-of hearing and cannot watch television without captions.

Closed captions do not display on HDMI connections from my upsampling DVD player; in order to watch this DVD with captions, my choices are either to degrade the signal by switching to lower-quality inputs or treat the eyes while straining to speechread this story.

I'm most unhappy. The disks are going back.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2009 6:54:14 PM PDT
M.A. says:
The disks DO have captioning, you have to use your TV's closed caption/subtitle function, you cannot access it with your DVD player's CC button.

Posted on Mar 10, 2010 1:30:04 PM PST
T. Kviz says:
The copy I purchased clearly stated it had closed captions; however, the cursor skipped over the closed caption choice on the menu when I tried to select it, just as others have indicated.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2010 12:55:18 PM PDT
R. Roeth says:
I too cannot access the closed captioning on this DVD.

Posted on Jan 1, 2011 10:52:48 AM PST
I bought the entire series "The Tudors" for my mother and although there is clearly a closed caption feature on the set-up selections the cursor repeatedly skips over it. Anybody have any idea why this would happen? We tried to access the captions through the television (a new model Samsung) and it says there are no captions. I rented the entire series on DVD from Netflix and it did have closed captions.

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 12:02:40 AM PDT
jane eyre says:
i bought the complete series of "the tudors" and it has the closed caption feature on the "audio selection". but, it skips over it and you are not able to use cc on this dvd set. anyone have any clue what is going on?

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 3:48:29 PM PST
Russ says:
The Tudors - The Complete First Season

I too had difficulty getting the closed captions to display. I discovered that the captions are not from the DVD menu, but they are in the video stream. So enabling closed captions on the TV receiver should cause them to display. That did not work for me. I then read elsewhere that the nature of these DVDs is that the captions will not work when the DVD player is connected to the TV via an HDMI cable; only a composite cable will work. I have another DVD player connected via composite; that however did not allow me to display the captions either. (Although when using composite cable, the TV CC menu did offer the customary CC1, CC2, ..., T1, T2, etc. - when HDMI was used, those were not available). I was finally able to display the DVD with closed captions by playing the DVD in my notebook PC connected to my TV via HDMI. A right-click on the DVD on the PC allowed me to enable the captions on the PC, which then correctly displayed on the TV. A bit circuitous, but at least I can now enjoy the DVDs (I am severely hearing-impaired). If anyone knows of a less cumbersome method, I would like to learn about it!

Posted on Oct 4, 2013 7:57:55 PM PDT
I also bought the complete series and ran into the same problem others have noted: advertising for the captions on the package, gold lettering in the setup menu declaring that it is captioned for the hearing impaired, and disk software that skips over the gold lettering. Yes, the captions are indeed there--if you fast forward through the disk, they pop up on frames here and there. The only difficulty is that the disk manufacturer neglected to include the software that turns them on. It's interesting that the DVDs from Netflix seem to work and the DVDs from Blockbuster and Amazon don't. I figured they must be knockoffs and returned them.

Posted on Jan 11, 2014 1:34:02 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 11, 2014 1:34:32 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 11, 2014 1:34:40 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 11, 2014 1:34:47 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 11, 2014 1:35:12 PM PST
I tried all of the suggestions abobe. Some of my discs will play subtitles, others will not no matter what I do. I'm so disappointed.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xaad6c48c)

This discussion

Participants:  19
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  Mar 2, 2008
Latest post:  Jan 11, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Tudors Season 1
The Tudors Season 1
4.4 out of 5 stars   (1,366)