Does Word reveal codes One of the most frustrating things about Word in the past is that you can not see many of the formatting codes. WordPerfect was far superior in that regard. I'm wondering if the new 2007 Word allows the user to see all of the formatting codes.
asked by Steve on January 10, 2007
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 answers
A
Since I haven't used WordPerfect, I am not sure of what extra format codes there are, but I recommend that you download the Office trial which is available at: http://office.microsoft.com/

You can have it run in a browser if you don't want to download the whole program (i think it works in a citrix type environment) or you can download the whole program.
Insert Name Here answered on January 12, 2007
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
There are fundamental differences in the basic design assumptions between Word and WordPerfect which mean that you will never, ever see anything like WP's "reveal codes" in Word. For a great description of why, see these two brief articles on the Word MVP site:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General

Articles titled:
"Is there life after Reveal Codes?"
and "How Word differs from WordPerfect"
Lorin Ricker answered on January 17, 2007
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Great information. Thanks for answering the question. It's too bad we'll never see it, but it's nice to have the answer
Steve answered on January 18, 2007
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
There is a "reveal codes" function in Word. In the toolbar click the paragraph character (a backward "P" with two lines instead of one). This will show codes in Word. I don't know about Office Word 2007, but I can't imagine they would take it away.
Kristi C. answered on January 29, 2007

A
This "reveal codes" thingy in Word is to real Reveal Codes in WordPerfect as Velveeta is to Brie.
Amazon Customer answered on January 31, 2007
Comment | 4 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Could not agree more. Wild salmon to farmed salmon.
Steve answered on January 31, 2007
Comment | 2 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I used WordPerfect for years from Version 5 through Version 10. We've been using Word at the office now for the last 3-4 years, and while I've grown accustomed to Word, the one thing I miss the most from WordPerfect is the Reveal Codes...nothing Word has given us (though I haven't seen version 2007) is comparable to the funcionality of WP's Reveal Codes. I hope Word 2007 has addressed this issue.
P. J. Merrill answered on February 1, 2007
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Word 2007 has a feature in its styles section - Under Style Inspector, click the Reveal Formatting button. This will show you font style, paragraph style, etc.
Judith answered on March 27, 2007

A
I am getting a message that the spell checker isn't checking part of my document because it was marked do nmot check. That is why seeing codes are needed.
James Briggs answered on May 7, 2007
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
If you are a Wordperfect user, MS Word just sux. That's all there is to it. Word does unexpected things and Word documents just misbehave. There is really nothing you can do about it. If a Word document starts to misbehave so badly that it is unrecoverable, you must start a new document and slowly cut and paste the misbehaving document into the new one a little bit at a time to get rid of the gremlins. You just cannot see the offending reveal codes like you can in Wordperfect.

If you are forced to use MS Word, just protest, and stop the monopoly train. Like I said, MS Word just sux. Why do you think that most lawyers use Wordperfect?
A. GRAY answered on April 5, 2010
Comment | 1 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

See all questions about this product