Customer Discussions > Lost Odyssey - Xbox 360 forum

Does anybody really play JRPGs on Xbox?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 18, 2008 10:02:08 AM PDT
Lance Ortiz says:
I find it interesting that there are more JRPGs on the Xbox360 then on the PS3 at this point. It seems like Microsoft is publishing these game or thowing money at companies like Square-Enix to get RPG exclusives. They are even getting FFXIII on the 360.

Now I don't want to stereotype anybody, but it seems to me people who buy the Xbox tend to like Sports games and First person shooters and play online a lot. People to tend toward the Playstation systems play RPG and 3rd person action games and platformers. Now I know there is a lot of crossover but these are the trends. So it seems strange to me that so many JRPGs are on xbox 360 and almost nothing on PS3.

Just thinking out loud. What do you think?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2008 3:36:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 28, 2008 3:37:05 AM PDT
Mike Auber says:
I played nothing but JRPGs (Eternal Sonata, Lost Odyssey) on the 360 since I got it and I'm likely to play many more (Infinite Undiscovery, Last Remnant, Tales Of Vesperia) in the future.

Compared to the previous gen Xbox, I think Microsoft made a conscious effort to try and broaden the userbase of this console.

I think at the moment there is more "everything" on the X360 than on PS3, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2008 10:52:58 AM PDT
LandSailor says:
I love role playing games most of all (I like other games too, don't get me twisted) I didn't own the first xbox because all they really had was FPS. I like FPS but I get burnt out on them real quick when that is my only games to choose from. MS said when they launch the 360 they were going to make RPGs for this system because they neglected that fan base on the last system.(also because there sale in japan were awful) I really took a leap of faith when buying the 360 and it paid off. And as Mike said they are trying to have more of a userbase.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2008 5:23:15 AM PST
Strike another up for rpg's on 360. I've bought about 5-6 in the last 2 months. I used to be a huge playstation fan due to the rpg's being on them (PS1/PS2) but now they are all on 360. But I also like the occasional Halo game, love a good racing game although forza 2 is the only one I really like on 360. (and I LOVE it) And I love me some COD4/5 ;) gimme camo perk + silenced submachine gun and I will solid snake an entire room full of people!

But if I am given the choice, I will choose the rpg 8/10 times.

I truly HATE sports games. Never bought one and likely never will. (from Atari 2600 to NES/SNES/N64/gameboy to Genesis/32X/Sega CD to PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP, xbox, dreamcast, 360 - not one)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2009 5:10:10 AM PST
It is obviously an attempt to get a stronger foothold in Japan with the Xbox 360 system. Sony and Nintendo are both Japan based, while Xbox 360, obviously, is US based... So in order to try to win over more Japanese users, they try making these games, which the Japanese are more likely to buy their system for. Specially when Sony is being retarded and not going after more RPG exclusives :-P They have nothing! It upsets me greatly... :(

Posted on Jun 9, 2009 12:33:54 PM PDT
S. Rau says:
I just bought an Xbox360 recently for the very reason that it had more RPG's than the PS3. I usually am more inclined to buy action RPGs for the PC, but I wanted to play some JRPGs for a change.

My only complaint is that Gauntlet: Dark Legacy is not compatible with the 360. I hope a decent Gauntlet is released for 360 in the near future =o

Posted on Jul 25, 2009 3:51:40 PM PDT
Amani2 says:
I played Tales of Vesperia and I like RPGs in general, so I'll be buying more for my xbox.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2009 12:39:02 PM PDT
I couldn't agree more. I bought the PS3 2 years ago in anticipation of FFXIII and it won't be out until 6/10. I also did not know that Square Enix was jumping ship or I would have bought the Xbox a long time ago. The PS3 is more powerful and it cries out for RPG games. I have a whopping total of 3 PS3 games and one came with the system.
Finally, I can afford the Xbox and bought it today. I already bought Mass Effect and I have some catching up to do with all the RPG's out for Xbox. Somebody at Sony REALLY screwed up when they let Square Enix slip away

Posted on May 30, 2010 1:54:56 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
I think it's weird in general what's happened to Japanese games...they've just sort of disapeared. Companies like Capcom say things like "we have to make games with more universal appeal!" and then proceed to make garbage with LESS universal appeal. Japanese RPGs are just...not anything I like anymore. Can't stand Tales/Ocean gameplay that dominates the genre, nor the awful writing.

Sakaguchi's stuff feels fresher than ever, since it continues to tell powerful stories, and has classic-yet-fresh gameplay he's been remixing successfully since the SNES. It has to be SO hard to mix things up like that-not make it anymore complex, just different enough to seem new, while still fun, hitting the right notes.

Posted on May 30, 2010 7:36:27 PM PDT
Fight Fantasy XIII, truly remarkable movie. NOT a JRPG though. Just FYI.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Jul 18, 2008
Latest post:  May 30, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Lost Odyssey - Xbox 360
Lost Odyssey - Xbox 360 by Microsoft (Xbox 360)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (181)