The Great Gatsby
Used & New from: $0.01
Does anyone else hate this author? Sorry to rain on anyone's parade, but Hemingway was required reading when I was in school, so I had to read a number of his books. Whether he is capable of writing well or not, his topics, his life view, his personal life, make his books something I have avoided and will continue to avoid. I find I just have to speak up against this author whenever people talk about what 'great' books he authored. I get so tired of books and authors being elevated simply because they can use the English language well, despite the fact that what they have to say is something the world could happily do without. Nothing to inspire for me.
asked by Liz Beth on February 22, 2013
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 answers
A
vote
You have the wrong author. Fitzgerald wrote The Great Gatsby. No matter, though, who ever wrote it, I still don't get why it keeps making the lists. I've read it multiple times, and it does nothing for me, as a story, as literature, as prose. Completely overrated, in my opinion.
Diane Bourdeau answered on April 1, 2013

A
votes
OK, then. As Diane has said, Hemingway did not write this. Authors are usually not, ummm, interchangeable. In fact, I don't hate Fitzgerald, who did write this book, but like most of that other guy Hemingway, it has a certain mannered style of prose that passed in the Jazz Age for naturalism. It's not high-brow or elevated, it's just a style. If style in writing bothers you, you may not like this book. But the plot and characters are interesting. And it is generally recognized as an American classic of the 20th century. There haven't really been a lot of those, honest. And, as for old Ernesto, try starting off with The Old Man and the Sea. It is a chestnut of a sort, but I look at it as novel distilled down to pure Everclear. Also a classic.
Country Girl answered on July 5, 2013
‹ Previous   1   Next ›