Does the lens come off? To change it? Which is better? the 135mm or 55mm ?
asked by Brittany Marie on October 16, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 answers
A
Yes, the lens comes off so you can change or upgrade it. I only have the 55mm lens, but it works well.
kelly answered on October 16, 2012
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Yes the lens is removable, that is a key feature of the DSLR cameras. Canon makes numerous lenses to suit a wide range of photo & video capture opportunities. Many can get very expensive, but there are plenty of consumer-friendly price points as well. I'm not a photographer, but have replaced the stock 18-55mm lens with an 18-135mm as my "walk-around lens" which gets a ton of use and a 100-400mm that I use for my son's baseball games and longer range shots requiring a more powerful zoom. Love the camera by the way, the ability to shoot photos AND video with one camera combined with all of the lenses is awesome.
Jeff Meeks answered on October 16, 2012

A
Yes, the lens comes off. I just bought it with the 18-55mm kit lens and plan to upgrade later.

As for which lens is better, it's a personal preference. Cost is a factor. The 18-135 offers greater range.
hermanator answered on October 16, 2012

A
Yes, on the T3i, the lenses are easily removed. Just push the release button on the left front side, and twist the lens off gently. Replace with any other compatible lens. Which is better, the 135mm or 55mm is a subjective question? Which is better, Ford or Chevy? The answer here depends on what you like to shoot and when. A 55mm lens on a cropped camera like the T3i will result in 55 x 1.6 or the equivalent of an 88mm lens, which happens to be very close to a perfect portrait lens. As for the 135mm lens, I can't imagine why I would own this lens. Rather have a 15-85mm lens which, at the 85mm setting, gives you the equivalent of a 136mm lens. So I have to wonder why you would want a prime 135mm lens for a cropped camera? HTH.
John Hart answered on October 16, 2012

A
Yes the lens do come off and its pretty simple to switch the lens. 135 MM is the better Lens you can zoom in alot more than the 55mm. If you decide to go with the 55MM lens alot of people than buy the 250MM lens but that lens is pretty bulky so the 135 is a good compromise in my opinion and you only have to worry about carrying 1 lens instead of 2.
mpatel01 answered on October 16, 2012

A
The lenses are interchangeable. It only takes a few seconds to change. You push a button and twist the lense off.

If you are new to photography, go with a versatile lense lie a 55mm-135mm. This way you can zoom in close (135mm) or have a wide angle view (55mm). If new, I would recommend you don't go with a single focal length lense like a 55mm or a 135mm. Hope that helps. Costco and qvc have a good bundle package on T3i. I am sure you can find on amazon as well. Bundle has camera, 2 lenses and a carrying case
bawa answered on October 16, 2012

A
yes the lens comes off.what lens depends on what you want to take pictures of......you don't sound like you know to much about cameras or lenses read up on both they DO NOT MAKE a 55 mm or a 135mm lens the 50 mm lens is a good lens. get the 1.8 cheaper on for 100.00 that lens works well for video.
Ted Hunger answered on October 16, 2012

A
Yes; you hold down a button and it will twist off. I don't have the 18-135mm lens, but I can tell you now that the 18-55mm lens has a very bad zoom and it barely zooms in at all! I do like macro photography and the 18-55mm lens is perfect to reverse for macro shots.
Jack answered on October 16, 2012

A
Yes, of course, it's an SLR, standard Canon EOS bayonet mount. Depends on what you want to use the lens for. I'd not get either of those, but a good Canon prime lens. Something in the 18 or 20-24mm range. Rent a Canon 24mm f/1.4. You'll be impressed. For a walk around wide-range zoom, try Tamron's 18-270. For something a bit sharper, try a Sigma 17-50 f/2.8. Canon's 16-35 or 17-40 is pretty sharp, but at F/4 for the 17, it's not much for low light.
TRJ answered on October 16, 2012

A
Yes. 135 is way better.
DK answered on October 16, 2012
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

See all questions about this product