Does it expose the water to plastic, or just steel?
... thanks for the answers! Summary: It seems pretty good, except that apparently the lid does have BPA, which is both unhealthy and unnecessary (there are non-BPA plastics).
[UPDATED] asked by Stephen Cataldo on December 26, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 answers
A
Steel. The exception of course is boil off can condense on the plastic lid. But that said once it boils it shuts off. So that's a minuscule amount.
Josh answered on December 26, 2012
Comment | 6 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Steel only. There's a 'maximum fill' line that would prohibit the water from reaching the plastic lid even when it's boiling. However...even before water reaches the boiling point it produces steam. The steam rises and does contact the lid. I agree with Josh that it's really insignificant. I've had a plastic hot water pot and it was a whole different story. You could smell and taste the plastic.
PrimoCat answered on December 26, 2012
Comment | 5 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
No, the inside of the kettle is entirely stainless steel. No plastic indicator inside (which I do not want or need) That is the reason I bought this product after researching. I bought 2, one for home and one for office, everyone likes it, use it everyday.
esther hua answered on December 26, 2012
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I believe it does expose water to the plastic when it reaches boiling point, because the top/lid of the container is made of plastic. I hope this makes sense.
LovestoBuy answered on December 26, 2012
Comment | 3 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The top is made of very hard plastic. the interior and the pour spout are metal. There may be some condensation that collects on the plastic and falls back into the heated water but it would be extremely small and insignificant.
D. BAKER answered on December 26, 2012
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The lid is plastic of some sort, although I do not know exactly what it is composed of. I typically boil my water with the lid open. I use mine to make tea and I put the tea bags directly in to the tea kettle to steep, again with the lid open just to be on the safe side. I do not overfill it such that the water boils up to the plastic. I love mine, but will purchase a larger unit with the continuous heating so I can use it throughout the day for hot cups of fresh tea. This unit simply boils the water and shuts off with no other extra functions. I like the safety factor of it shutting itself off. I have been very happy with this appliance overall, with no problems whatsoever. I recommend it for simple boiling of water.
My Sacred Soul answered on December 26, 2012
Comments (2) | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Only the lid is plastic.
RC from CT answered on December 26, 2012
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Steel only. There's a 'maximum fill' line that would prohibit the water from reaching the plastic lid even when it's boiling. However...even before water reaches the boiling point it produces steam. The steam rises and does contact the lid. I agree with Josh that it's really insignificant. I've had a plastic hot water pot and it was a whole different story. You could smell and taste the plastic.
PrimoCat answered on December 26, 2012
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The inside is all steel. The only plastic inside would be the lid.
Li Noel answered on December 26, 2012
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
No. The inside is
esther hua answered on December 26, 2012
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

See all questions about this product