Does it make SMOOTH humus? Our current processor can't produce the fine-grained texture of commercial humus...too chewy. If we found the right processor, with the amount of humus we eat, that would make the purchase worthwhile by itself. Is this the one???
asked by Jeff A. Tomboulian on May 23, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 answers
A
votes
Thank you, Constance! I will give it a shot. Just don't get downwind, unless you've eaten some too...

(5 weeks later) Now that I've bought and tried it, I can say that YES it is awesome for hummus, not to mention almond butter, cole slaw, and everything else we've tried. We make this raw food version of hummus, where you just sprout the garbanzos for a few days, and THAT even gets smooth with this machine. Our friends couldn't stop inhaling it. And with what we've saved on the hummus and almond butter alone, we've just about paid for the thing already. Wow.
Jeff A. Tomboulian answered on May 26, 2009

A
votes
Yes, chickpeas, garlic, lemon and this machine and you are good to go-although the 11 cup makes enough for a week.
Constance, loves books & dogs in no... answered on May 26, 2009

A
votes
I just made hummus for the first time today and it worked great. I used canned garbanzo beans for mine. I would recommend adding only half the beans @ first, then the liquid (lemon juice, tahini, and olive oil) then the parsley, cumin, salt and pepper and THEN add the rest of the beans. I did all the beans first and it got REALLY thick and stiff pretty fast and took a little longer to mix the rest of the dry herbs and seasoning. So next time I'll split the addition of the garbanzos. It did a great job on mincing my parsley and garlic as well. Your spatula comes in very handy with this dish. P.S. my tahini was really separated before use so I mixed it a little by hand (which can be a real chore) and then poured the whole lot into the cuisinart to really get it blended well. Don't think I could have used it otherwise (the paste had really hardened).
C. Salazar answered on September 13, 2009

A
votes
While the dried garbanzo beans may seem like a bit more trouble, the final product is really delicious. Soak the beans overnight, cook the next day until quite soft, start with about half a cup of the cooking water and half the beans, gradually add more beans, garlic, and lemon juice to taste..I found that you can skip the tahini by using sesame oil to taste, I also add a few splashes of olive oil and some cumin..By replacing most of the oil with the water and lemon juice, you end up with a lower calorie product. By using lower calorie tortillas, homemade hummus and 'extras' {i use Marzetti roasted red pepper relish} and eating this for lunch, along with a piece of fruit, I lost 18 lbs in 3 months, will little else changed in my daily meals... I have had my Cuisinart classic, in which I make hummus and many other recipes for over 20 years..
emess answered on April 13, 2010

A
vote
It has a plastic blade that it supposed to be used for kneading dough although I have never used it myself.

As for the Humus... How SMOOTH do you mean? I am sure it could handle that without any problem. We make Pesto in ours all the time and that is about the same consistency as Humus we have eaten. In our experience though, we tend to turn to our blender for most sauces and spreads since the results are a little finer consistency due to the design of blender blades versus food processor blades.
G. Harkness answered on August 27, 2009

A
votes
Is there a dough hook for making bread?
vap answered on August 23, 2009

A
votes
Can you use this Cuisinart to chop fresh herbs?
D. Chase answered on September 13, 2009

A
votes
Certainly! That's easy, although if you pulse it for more than a second or two you will get mush.
Jeff A. Tomboulian answered on September 13, 2009

A
votes
You're correct about the stiffness & thick consistency of the beans. I did the same as you. I had to laugh. My tahini was too thick to mix in the jar with a knife, so I dumped it all out into the processor and WALLAH! Done. I will TRY to remember use only 1/2 of the beans at a time. Good review! Thanks for your hints.
ItsOnlyMe answered on September 29, 2009

A
votes
All this info on hummus and tahini has been so helpful. If I open up the tahini and it's hardened, I probably would not have thought to process it. I'm going to attempt to make hummus according to the ingredients listed above in my Cuisinart Pro Classic tonight!
K. Garren answered on October 1, 2009
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›