Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 23, 2007 11:59:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 24, 2007 12:04:22 AM PDT
Rudy says:
Let me say from the beginning I have been a Fan of old movies for years. I enjoy a good movie whether directed by Wilder,Ford,Curtiz,etc. But I am sorry IMHO I found this movie very dry. Many people have commented about the nuances and camera angles that others might have missed. That's nice but when I like a film it captures my attention,and I often find it memorable. Casablanca,Grapes of wrath,Some like it hot for example. This film did nothing for me. Sorry to say the Emperor has no clothes! However, I must credit Mr. Welles for the assuming the role at the age of 25! and although his acting abilities were commendable, I cannot say the same for the film.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2008 7:02:30 PM PDT
Your post does nothing for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2009 8:19:01 AM PDT
compsciguy says:
Your response to this post does nothing for me. If I don't like every single movie you like, are you gonna bash me and make fun of me? If so, then I can rightfully call you immature and childish.

Posted on May 19, 2011 1:12:01 AM PDT
R.S. says:
"It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit, and the emperor remains an emperor."

I hate the story of the Emperor's New Clothes. Its something morons say when they cant understand something or just don't dig it. If I don't like something I don't show up on amazon and tell everyone how bad my opinion of something is and yell "The Emperor has no clothes," like it's true just because I'm saying it. It's foolish to think your opinion is the only one that matters and that every film critic that has ever written a good review of something you don't enjoy is completely wrong. I mean, how egotistical are you?

Here's another good quote from John Cassavetes:

""It's not a question of understanding it. If you feel it, you feel it, stupid."

Posted on May 19, 2011 6:36:06 AM PDT
video voice says:
Rudy, you are entitled to your opinion. I know plenty of people that don't think Citizen Kane is a great film. I do however, and here's why. You say you like classic cinema, so if you get the chance to go back and re-view Kane consider it in comparison to the films of it's time.
The cinematography is beyond anything done up until that point (and some say still to this day). Most of the actors involved had been part of Welles "Mercury Theater" radio group and many of them launched their careers due to their performances in this film. The story is incredibly well written and it's execution was revolutionary for screenwriting (the story doesn't follow a linear path, but instead puts the pieces of Kanes life slowly together like a giant puzzle). The use of metaphors and symbolism both in writing and staging is phenomenal.
The film requires multiple viewings. The initial viewing just to follow the path of the story, and then subsequent views to catch all the subtle nuances that were missed the first time around. Sure it's not a film for everyone, but it definitely deserves the praise that it gets.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Oct 23, 2007
Latest post:  May 19, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Citizen Kane Collectors Edition [VHS]
Citizen Kane Collectors Edition [VHS] by Orson Welles (VHS Tape - 1991)
4.1 out of 5 stars   (1,220)