Does this sound as lame to everyone else as it does me?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 13, 2012 5:18:23 PM PDT
P. Taegel says:
"War is Personal for the Entire Family -Medal of Honor Warfighter goes beyond the battlefield and reveals the heartbreaking side of war, told through the eyes of military families. With a story written by Operators from this community, Medal of Honor Warfighter unveils intimate insights into the sacrifices of the warriors on the ground - and their families."

Oh dear lord this sounds awful and depressing. Where I wholeheartedly agree that war is terrible and painful and futile, this is not the emotional experience I seek when I purchase a video game. The last MOH had great mechanics, but the story was so dour and blah that it left me cold. And this seems to have been the consensus on that game. So who thought it would be smart to make a game that is even more serious and self-important?

Posted on Mar 19, 2012 2:37:12 PM PDT
J. E. Martin says:
Where are you finding this consensus? All of this is nothing more than your opinion and perspective of the game which is very different from my own. If what you're looking for in a game of this genre is based on mod-ing your weapons and going for kill streaks, then you've certainly got a selection to choose from. As fun as they are, I've found them pretty emotionally and compellingly sterile.
An aspect of the MoH series that I find so much more "real," I guess, is the effort they place in making the story more intimate and personal that we can feel even a hint of what these guys go through and, yeah, you're right, it's dour. That said, I guess the emotional response you're looking for has more to do with the adrenal sort.

Posted on Mar 19, 2012 3:01:06 PM PDT
P. Taegel says:
The consensus I am referring to is the mediocre market performance. This title ought to have dominated, but it tanked. I suspect the reason for this was the fact that there wasn't much of a story. It was basically go here and kill people. Then go there and kill people. In the meantime, some senator was making decisions that kind of screwed over the soldiers, and a general was caught in the middle. Does he go along with orders or do right by his guys? Pretty cliche territory and executed with minimal emotional punch. For as "unrealistic" as Modern Warfare is, I found myself a thousand times more invested in the characters and their struggle. Think about it. What memorable characters can you name from the last MOH? I dare say some video game developers were responsible for the story -- not professional writers.

Posted on Mar 19, 2012 4:58:20 PM PDT
Deadlyice says:
im just interested in the multiplayer

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 6:00:27 AM PDT
Greg says:
No not to me I liked MOH better than BF3.
I believe developers rush games to try to beat COD.
If I owned a game company, I would do summer releases after gamers get COD burn out and not sweat holiday sales.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2012 4:36:33 PM PDT
David Careca says:
I believe you have it wrong here.the general consensus of people who actually played the Campaign is that it was vastly superior to the others from COD/BF..The plot was pretty memorable...Rabbit,Mother,Preacher,Dusty for me were great characters,could they have done more with it,probably...but I certainly prefer it to chasing fictional Russian bad guys all over the globe.MOH 2010 put the player smack dab in the middle of Afghanistan as US tier 1 teams conducted "Operation Anaconda",they took narratives from real life operators,used real gun sounds in the actual game..sure MOH was flawed in some aspects but it's head and shoulders above COD in terms of realism.

As for why it did not do so well,simple...COD has appealed to the lowest common denominator of FPS players...no tactics,ridiculously overpowered weapons(grenade launchers/shotguns)zombies,killcams..and these players want less risk,more reward.Kills are easier and require less forethought than in MOH.

Other reasons why MOH did not do so well was DICE and their lack of support for this game...the game was rushed first of all.did not get patched enough,offered little in terms of DLC...and of course was released two weeks before Black ops.

I own Black Ops and haven't played it since I got this game..which was late last year actually...its a ton of fun the SP alone for me is worth the full price,yep its 3 hours to beat but again the competition's aren't that much longer..the MP has its flaws,hit detection,lag,and map design in some spots are weak but its been a thrilling experience for me...now its more rewarding than when I first got it because of the steep learning curve.I hope for the new Warfighter that they don't totally overhaul it,just for starters give us more maps,weapons..tweak some of the issues out and just support it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 4:01:54 PM PDT
J. E. Martin says:
Heh, that sounds somewhat conflicted...irreperably pointless story yet personal investment into the memorable characters that are woven into it. I can appreciate that. I can see the basis for your point of view. Not sure the reason, but I was equally drawn to the characters. I suppose this is why I find myself so ready to defend the game. I do, however, disagree with your stance on the story, but I concede it may still hold some credence in the premise of your argument.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 4:14:53 PM PDT
J. E. Martin says:
Solid, spot-on, particularly your second pp as per sales illustrating "success." Great observations. I don't play MP, so base my consensus with your points strictly on the campaign play, but I so appreciated the effort toward realism in MoH over anything I'd seen in any CoD. CoD has name recognition borne from what you touched on in pp2 and that's the only thing the franchise has over MoH. Yeah, so I'm a MoH fanboy.

Posted on Apr 13, 2012 10:49:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 13, 2012 10:50:02 AM PDT
MoultonHawk says:
The story was pitched by two tier 1 soldiers, but the game was called Warfighter, MOH picked it up and used it for the story. I expect this game to be worse than the last one. Especially since Dice isn't involved right ? Graphically didn;t look that great saw it on gttv show last night.

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 7:03:53 PM PDT
LuCiFeR says:
Call of Duty has sucked majorly after World At War. I gave up on that series years ago. Battlefield 3 is the dominate king in the world I live in with the other thousands of players. This title looks great but for a FPS I only purchase for the multiplayer and being able to choose from some different countries is extremely appealing to me as I'm burned out on using Russian/American. How many games let you play Norwegian special forces!!?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012 5:33:12 AM PDT
K. Lynn says:
Have to agree with a lot of this. I had both MOH and COD. I say had cause when it came time to trade in a few old games. COD went in the bag. I still play MOH.

I persoanlly like the fact that the ending is all sunshine and roses. "Rabbit" dies. That happens in war, people die so this character you played and maybe got a lil invested in, doesn't make it. Yeah depressing but that was the idea. It doesn't always end well. Not everyone kills the bad guys then sits and light up a cigar as if they don't have a care in the world anymore. (See end of MW3).

I am also tired of chasing made up Russian enemies around the globe. Although the variety of missions and locations in MW3 was great, (who didn't wanna fight through a torn up NYC? Only thing better would have been LA.) The story of chasing this guy was getting OLD. Now you wonder...where do they go next?

What I'd love to see is a game where, like in SOCOM you team up with allies from the other units like SAS, Spetsnaz, GROM, CGIN or South Korean SEALS. That would be fun. Change of dialog, foreign humor. It could be a blast.

But overall let's all be glad if this doesn't turn into another game like HOMEFRONT. Man was THAT disappointing.

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 5:34:06 AM PDT
K. Lynn says:
Have to agree with a lot of this. I had both MOH and COD. I say had cause when it came time to trade in a few old games. COD went in the bag. I still play MOH. I persoanlly like the fact that the ending is all sunshine and roses. "Rabbit" dies. That happens in war, people die so this character you played and maybe got a lil invested in, doesn't make it. Yeah depressing but that was the idea. It doesn't always end well. Not everyone kills the bad guys then sits and light up a cigar as if they don't have a care in the world anymore. (See end of MW3). I am also tired of chasing made up Russian enemies around the globe. Although the variety of missions and locations in MW3 was great, (who didn't wanna fight through a torn up NYC? Only thing better would have been LA.) The story of chasing this guy was getting OLD. Now you wonder...where do they go next? What I'd love to see is a game where, like in SOCOM you team up with allies from the other units like SAS, Spetsnaz, GROM, CGIN or South Korean SEALS. That would be fun. Change of dialog, foreign humor. It could be a blast. But overall let's all be glad if this doesn't turn into another game like HOMEFRONT. Man was THAT disappointing.

K. Lynn

Posted on Aug 22, 2012 8:10:00 AM PDT
Rev says:
Well after the BS both EA and DICE have done recently with the Premium crap, i myself have decided to boycott all future titles released by them. i will play what i already have but thats it. im not dropping another dime on their greedy companies. Their games (BF series and MoH series) have the best quality of gameplay (engine and mechanics) compared to others like CoD which i no longer support after the Black OPS mess that still isnt fixed. Oh well. i dont expect anyone to follow suit. getting tired of these half a$$ed FPS's anyways.

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 7:16:43 PM PDT
LuCiFeR says:
Yea i was NOT happy about the premium bs. I am getting NHL13 next. I gotta get a fix off the fps for awhile?

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 8:50:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 1, 2012 8:51:40 PM PDT
Ogun says:
What premium bs? I thought premium was better than elite!

If this game is as good as battlefield 3 it would be well worth it.

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 8:48:56 AM PDT
JabbaThePutt says:
The multiplayer beta/demo on 360 is fun but I still think BF3 on ps3 is better.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 9:10:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 16, 2012 9:11:33 PM PDT
Tim Drake says:
You would rather have your fake-as-crap action movie CoD, the most unrealistic game ever made? News Flash: This is how war REALLY is. It's not stylized with perks and killstreaks. And some people DO play games to delve into the story.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  12
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Mar 13, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Medal of Honor: Warfighter - PS3
Medal of Honor: Warfighter - PS3 by Electronic Arts (PlayStation 3)
3.9 out of 5 stars   (387)