Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 20, 2007 9:21:28 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2007 9:56:19 PM PST
scifier says:
I have never seen any of episodes but I have heard this is a good show. I just wanted to know if it had a real ending or if the storyline ends without a conclusion before I decide whether or not to watch it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2007 7:11:29 PM PST
Michael Diaz says:
Yes it has an ending. A beautiful and terrifying ending.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2007 6:46:55 AM PST
I'd have to answer both "yes" and "no".
When the second season came to an end, the series had already been cancelled and brought back twice. Therefore, the writers weren't sure whether this would be the end or the series would be able to come back in some form. Also, there was a plan to produce a sequel movie which could wrap up any loose ends. Given this, they decided to go for the cliff-hanger episode that they had originally planned, even though they thought they would be cancelled yet again.
Unfortunately, Kyle MacLachlan said that he would not do the movie due to some other projects. Those fell through and he eventually came back for the film, but they had already started production of a prequel film (all they could do without the main character). They still planned to make a sequel, but the first film did so poorly at the box office that they never made it (also, David Lynch was so upset by the critical reaction, such as Roger Ebert actually booing the film at Cannes, that he no longer wants anything to do with the property).
So what we are left with is a cliff hanger which is only slightly addressed in the prequel, Fire Walk With Me. However, many fans have pointed out that this ending is actually a perfectly acceptable ending to the series (at least for the main plot) which I assume is Michael Diaz's opinion. Personally, I see both sides. I would love to see a resolution, but I am also quite satisfied with the ending we have. My advice would be to watch the series regardless. The whole story is so great that it is time well spent no matter what. I'd also recommend finding the books "Laura Palmer's Secret Diary" and "My Life, My Tapes: A Twin Peaks Autobiography of Special Agent Dale Cooper". They are out of print, but can be found, and both will add to your appreciation of the series.
Welcome to the obsession! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2007 2:10:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2007 6:15:43 PM PST
ImEzekiel65 says:
To casual fans of "Twin Peaks", the ending will more than likely leave them cold. And, I'll admit, I'd like to have seen a true ending, picking up where the TV series left off, rather than seeing "Fire Walk With Me", which, to me was a bit unnecessary. (Perhaps that one could have been made afterwards).

But at the same time, it didn't betray its own nature. It was unpredictable and bizarre. Quite fitting for the show.

Of course, being a huge "Peaks" fan, I would definitely say "What are you waiting for?", "Walk, don't run!", blah, blah, blah, that sort of thing. But it truly is one of the greatest TV series of all time. It's one of those shows that within the span of a few minutes, you're hooked and left wanting more. "Welcome to the obsession", indeed!

During its time on ABC, I refused to do anything or go anywhere whenever this show came on. No phone calls, no interruptions, no visitors, nothing. Did not want to be disturbed. [Heck, by this stage, I guess I already was:)] Every minute drew my attention. I didn't want to take my eyes off of it, not even for a second. This was a show you had to watch every week. Otherwise, you would have been lost.

So I've rambled on a bit. Guess that's the effect of this groundbreaking show.

So what are you waiting for? Walk, don't run, blah, blah,blah;)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2007 12:07:16 PM PST
Reed Hedges says:
The last episode is not a satisfying ending. However, the major story of the series *is* resolved before that episode.

It's just that it feels to me like the series was just starting to move on to another major story arc, when season 2 ends.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2007 3:10:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2007 3:11:02 PM PST
Jeff Kushner says:
The series has an amazing ending. Whether it is the intended ending or not, it is powerful, frightening and very satisfying. You will talk about it for years.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2007 10:49:31 AM PST
David says:
Personally, I love the ending the way it is. It wouldn't have been as shocking for all these years if the plot had continued and the loose ends would have been wrapped up. I think the ambiguous nature of the ending is part of what makes the town of Twin Peaks still so mysterious after all these years.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2008 11:49:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 10, 2008 12:05:19 PM PST
The simple and direct answer as to whether Twin Peaks actually ends is no, because the creators had planned the series to continue. ABC cancelled it, and Lynch may have had some warning of its demise, a chance to resolve or tie up some loose ends. But the last episode filmed actually ends as a season cliffhanger, not a series finale with everything tied up. Far from it. There was a big revelation (that would affect the show deeply had future episodes aired).

Yes, the basic mystery of Laura, not unlike the film noir classic of the same name, that starts in the very first episode, is resolved. So that plot point ends, but sort of continues in a way. I'd rather not spoil things in case you do watch the show. Twin Peaks was an acquired taste...at times mysterious, delightful and creepy, and sometimes frustrating and confusing. It was risky television.

When you watch the entire series and get to the last episode's final scene, you will probably wish it had continued. I wanted more. I wanted to know how they would continue the story based on the amazing development in the last episode they made.

Posted on Jan 23, 2010 10:52:15 AM PST
Uncle B says:
The show definitely ends with a cliffhanger, but the show is still powerful, beautiful and terrifying. I completely recommend the series, but be prepared that it won't be tied up neatly in a bow at the end.
I do strongly recommend that new viewers watch TPFWWM after the series. Even if it is a prequel the movie answers a lot of mysteries from the series, and there are thru flashforward dream/visions a little suggestion of what was going on right at the end of the series. With David Lynch chronological order isn't always the way to go.
I ahve heard that an independent comic company wanted to do TP comics following the end of the series and DL passed. I also heard a few years ago the possibility of Agent Cooper series of movies but I've heard nothing since. I haven't given up hope even after all these years that we'll get more TP someday!
I do strongly recommend reading the Diary of Laura Palmer book, it gives a lot of insights into the backstory and is a beautiful read in its own right.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2010 10:50:16 PM PST
Jamie Flower says:
Roger Ebert booed Wild at Heart at Cannes. I don't think he ever saw Fire Walk with Me.

Posted on Apr 30, 2010 10:51:55 AM PDT
compsciguy says:
He aslo booed Wolf Creek for being too violent and gory toward women. It's a horror movie; what did he expect?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2010 11:12:36 AM PDT
Jamie Flower says:
What does Wolf Creek have to do with Wild at Heart?

Posted on Sep 21, 2010 11:23:59 PM PDT
TheWriteGuy says:
The ending to the main Twin Peaks narrative (the murder of Laura Palmer) comes to a final close in the movie, Fire Walk With Me. It actually turns out to be both a prequel *and* sequel to the series. SPOILER: Annie in the future, held in the Black Lodge by Wyndom Earle, astrally projects to the past and tells Laura Palmer that the "good Dale" is trapped in the Black Lodge. At the end of FWWM, Laura finds Cooper (the "good Dale" who has been trapped since BOB switched places with him in the last episode of the series), and he saves her soul. (Time is amorphous in the Black Lodge -- it has no defined beginning or end.)

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 3:23:26 PM PDT
Kyle R. Hall says:
Awesome.

Posted on May 30, 2012 5:57:44 AM PDT
YES, it does have an ending, kind of a cliffhanger but still, if you manage to reach the final episode (which is awesome btw) you will be left with a lot of interrogants. But fear not, most of those interrogants can be cleared if you see the sequel movie "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me".
Anyway does it matter if it has and ending or not? Lynch's work has always been more about the ride than the endings.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2014 5:48:12 AM PST
K. W. says:
Ebert's criticism is a little suspect, since once he was working for ABC ( owned by Disney ), every Disney "family" ( aka movies for kids ) movie he reviewed was "wonderful."

Posted on Mar 23, 2015 2:38:21 AM PDT
K. W. says:
As to what happened after the final episode ( original series ), Mark Frost is writing the Twin Peaks book coming out in the fall ( this year ) about what happened to everyone since then. The new limited TP tv series in 2016 will be TP in present-day.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  15
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Nov 20, 2007
Latest post:  Mar 23, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Twin Peaks: The Complete Series (The Definitive Gold Box Edition)
Twin Peaks: The Complete Series (The Definitive Gold Box Edition) by Kyle MacLachlan (DVD - 2007)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (360)