Does this work with Xbox 4GB version?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 4, 2010 12:36:08 PM PST
Does this work with the 4gb version of the Xbox that comes with the kinect bundle?

Posted on Dec 6, 2010 4:52:20 PM PST
ZildjianKX says:
Yes, it does.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2010 7:08:53 PM PST
how do i know if we have the slim, just got it from walmart and its not very slim. i'm thinkin slim woudl be way smaller.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2010 11:12:58 PM PST
bota1999 says:
Check this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2122754

MattC

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2011 8:24:08 PM PST
Matt says:
Thanks for the link! Very helpful.

Posted on Jan 8, 2011 11:28:37 AM PST
W. Cain says:
Do you NEED the transfer kit if you're adding to XBox 360 4 GB version?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2011 12:18:35 PM PST
bota1999 says:
No, but check micosoft support website.

Posted on Jan 9, 2011 5:28:53 AM PST
I have the hard drive and did not need a transfer link as it is an addition to the 4 gb and not a replacement. However I have still not been able to play old x box games. I keep getting an error message saying game could not be downloaded. I have it connected to my wireless access. Does anyone know why this is? Is there something else I need to download first?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2011 10:25:53 AM PDT
did you get this exsact drive or did you get a cheeper one from ebay or even the $50 dollor one off amazon? I can help you if can answer this quesion.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2011 10:37:47 AM PDT
I got it from Ebay. It seems to work fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2011 10:42:01 AM PDT
The prob with Ebay drives is people don't install the proper partions to allow for the backwords compatablility. Have you tried telling your 360 to reformat the drive? MAKE SURE YOU GET YOU SAVES BACKED UP BEFOR YOU DO THIS, IT WILL CLEAR ALL YOUR DATA. the hope is that it will add this partition on the drive. Let me know if this worked, it not we can try somthing eles.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2011 11:40:47 AM PDT
Cheers. I will try this tonight.

Posted on Mar 31, 2011 10:31:23 AM PDT
E. Nebedum says:
Can it be used to play the old Xbox games like Fable 1?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2011 2:33:15 PM PDT
yes it can, if its an officle drive, by reading the coments on diffrent amazon pages this seams to be a problem, and I have Fable lost chapters and it plays just fine on my slim with a hard drive ( I am using a 20 gig from my old xbox in my slim, if you want to know how to do this re-post to let me know) but as long as you get a proper micrsoft drive it will have the partition to play old games. Check out Wikipidia for the full list of backwords compatible games.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2011 7:48:42 AM PDT
I tried formatting the hard drive but it still brings up the message that the game could not be downloaded. The games I have are on the list of ones that are playable. It does show on the list of storage options as being a Microsoft product.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2011 12:41:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 4, 2011 12:44:46 PM PDT
I have been digging into this issue more and more. It seams that people are making good knock offs. The only way to make sure you get a backwords compatalb drive is to go to the store and buy one. There are two more sujestion I can make two you. If you have an original 360 (not a slim) hard drive that is backwords compatable, you can use that in your slim by just taking out a few screws. (thats what i am doing now and works great.) and the secound is to partion the drive youself using a compter, its seems a bit harder but I know it works ( a locale indepented shop by me does it all the time)

Posted on Apr 4, 2011 10:07:19 PM PDT
Adam,

If I want to use my original 360 drive in my slim, all I have to do is take it out from its enclosure by removing a few screws? Is there anything else to this? Can you link me to some kind of guide, if you have one? Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2011 12:12:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 5, 2011 12:15:47 PM PDT
I just went on you tube and pulled up a couple videos. I just use a touqe screw driver took out all the screws slid out my dirve and pluged it into my slim. Now keep in mind this voids any warrenty on the drive. If you have to send you slim in for repair, make sure you take out your drive. keep in mind since you did not actually mod anything on your slim, your warenty is still valid.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2011 2:16:27 PM PDT
Cyprus says:
I realize this isn't a popular opinion, but I think it's worth putting the information out there so that people reading this can make an informed decision.

Be warned that using an old hard drive does have risks. It may not void the warranty on the Xbox, but it is most certainly a violation of Xbox Live's Terms of Service. Up till now Microsoft hasn't seemed to care, as there are plenty of people that have done this and it works fabulously. However, just because nothing has been done yet does not mean that nothing will be done in the future.

Some people claim that using an old Xbox hard drive is "undetectable". This is completely false. All Microsoft needs to do is see that you have a 20, 60, or 120 Gig drive connected to a system that only has an "official" drive size of 250GB. That's hardly outside their abilities.

Now, I'm not saying this should never be done. I agree that the $90 (currently) 250GB "official" drive is a total rip off. I just think that people need to know this process isn't without risk. I'd still vote to do it, but don't be surprised if someday Microsoft decides to disallow the use of older drives. I doubt that they'd ban anyone, so you could just get the "official" drive if that ever happens.

Again, just something to consider.

Posted on Jul 15, 2011 1:55:55 PM PDT
soren121 says:
If your Xbox came with Kinect in the box, it's guaranteed to be the newer 'slim' model. They never sold the old model with Kinect.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2011 5:30:36 PM PST
Rainer Rocks says:
Hey..thanks for this info..I wasn't sure it would be the slim version
with the kinect bundle..now my mind is at ease.

Thanks !

Posted on Apr 3, 2014 1:23:30 PM PDT
Tamara Panza says:
can it play original xbox games

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2014 2:28:39 PM PDT
Rainer Rocks says:
Some will play but not all. Xbox dot com has a list so u can check which games
are compatible.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  13
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Dec 4, 2010
Latest post:  Apr 12, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Xbox 360 250GB HardDrive - Xbox Slim Only
Xbox 360 250GB HardDrive - Xbox Slim Only by Microsoft Software (Xbox 360)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (523)