Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Dog Days (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Book 4)
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Hardcover|Change

VINE VOICEon October 21, 2009
My son loves this series so of course I pre-ordered this book for him. It just arrived today and boy did he gush when I surprised him with it after school. I even got a hug and an "I love you!" before he disappeared with it for the remainder of the evening. He's about halfway through with it already and stopped himself so he would have more to enjoy tomorrow. He rereads them all anyways. I also flipped through it before he came home and chuckled at the parts, the boy reminds me of my own and is probably why he loves this series so much. It is very relatable to kids without being a bad influence. I love the humor and that it keeps my son reading!
44 comments|40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 19, 2011
SPOILERS. This book is not as funny as earlier volumes in the Wimpy Kid series. In fact, my family found it kind of disturbing. I've been reading it out loud to my kids - ages 7 and 11 - before bed, and while there are a few chuckle-worthy moments, most of it is a whole lot of lame. Greg is a whiny selfish jerk, the mom is perpetually clueless, the dad is a clueless jerk (who the heck forgets their wife at a gas station while on a family road trip and doesn't notice for almost an hour?), and even the grandpa turns out to be a jerk ("Oh, btw, I ran over your pet dog and then lied about it, isn't that funny?" and then dad gets mad and sticks grandpa with the brunch check on Father's Day in retaliation - how mature). Even when the father has to fix something Greg screwed up (like Mrs. Canfield's lawn), he doesn't make Greg responsible for his own actions, or even explain to the kid what he did wrong. Earlier books seemed more clever and funny, this one just feels like Jeff Kinney is running out of ideas.
on October 13, 2009
I think Dog Days is the best wimpy kid book yet. It is also a hilarious book. I love how it follows the story so well. There is a lot of unexpected parts in this book. It had an outstanding ending. I had waited one month for this book to come out. I think it was "totally" worth the wait. There aren't any new characters, but it does have a lot more of Rowley for people who like Rowley. I hope the people who buy this love it. (Review by George, Age 10)
VINE VOICEon October 17, 2009
My daughters and I eagerly awaited the latest adventures of Greg and company. We absolutely love the series and my daughters have read the first 3 books multiple times. We got "Dog Days" on Wednesday. One daughter read it that night, next daughter read it Thursday night, and I read it last night. While we liked it, the three of us agree that we didn't LOVE it. It was not nearly as funny as the previous books. For the first almost 3/4 of the book, Greg came across more whiney than funny and some of the stuff he talked about, like the hairy shower men, was just yucky. The book really got good when Greg started going to the pool to "hang out" with high school lifeguard Heather and the trip with Rowley and his family was great. It was just in the last 1/4 or so that I actually read some laugh-out-loud scenes. I did like how everything came together at the end.
on October 7, 2010
I really like your books. You have a great sense of humor and are good at doing cartoons. The minute I got the 3rd book I just started laughing meaning I really liked the book. So I thought the books were so great that I chose to put them in rankings:
1.#3
2.#4
3.#2
4.#1
I also have the movie that I got in the summertime and Have the movie novel and the Do-It-Yourself book.
I am so happy about the books and the type of books they are.
The only items left by you that I so want is the movie soundtrack, book #5 The Ugly Truth. Thank you so much for writing these books. More books by you I would really like. But if you can do that.
The last thing I am going to tell is that I have also gotten into the Big Nate series. The 5th book sounds so RAD. Please write more books.
VINE VOICEon October 18, 2009
The previous 3 Wimpy Kid books were laugh-out-loud funny throughout the entire books. That's what I was hoping for in this volume, but didn't get. I don't find constant whining and complaining to be funny.

The first 75 pages are written by a waste of a kid complaining about summer vacation, and nothing truly funny starts to happen until after that point. The middle 1/3 of the book is the best, and I found myself laughing aloud frequently. Unfortunately, the last part of the book finds Gregory resuming his whining, and the humor faded.

Overall, this was mediocre, and not up to the standards of the series.
on March 13, 2016
A great read. It's well written and I plowed through it in one sitting. I could not put it down. I laughed, I cried, I smiled, and I pondered throughout the entire book. You know you just finished reading something great when you get towards the end and you start to panic because you don't want it to end. I thought all the characters were well flushed out and added something interesting to the story. I don't know how I can write a review without giving away the plot, so all I can say you need to read this. You won't regret it.
on December 12, 2015
If you are already familiar with Diary of a Wimpy kid, you probably don’t need my review of this particular book because (honestly) it is just move of the same. If the quality has gone down between the books, my son hasn’t notices, and to me his continued interest is the most important thing. I suppose it would be best to start with book one, but my guess is that you could jump in anywhere without really missing anything. The books don’t seem to build on each other all that much.

In terms of the entire series, although the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books wouldn’t be my first choice in terms of literature, I give them 5 stars because my son absolutely loves them (has read them over and over again) and they are better and more educational than the Captain Underpants books that I used Diary of a Wimpy Kid books to wean him off. They expose young kids to somewhat sophisticated content and Vocabulary, and they get kids to enjoy reading. I also feel that they form a better bridge to more traditional books than a lot of the similar-styled alternative that are available.

One criticism I have is that (as I mentioned earlier) these books tend to lack any sort of story arc. The movies (if you are familiar with them) shifted events around to provide a story line and moral, but to me these books read more or less like just a bunch of events that happened, but since my kid thinks they are funny and keeps reading them I am fine with this. There is also the criticism that other people have made that the main character seems a little amoral, that he doesn’t make good choices and he doesn’t seem to recognize why some of his actions are bad or inappropriate. I suppose this is true, and if it is important to you that you have books where the protagonist serves as a perfect role model than this might not be the series for you. Again, I am not really bothered by it, because I figure that as a parent I can get my kids to understand when a character is acting well and when he is acting badly.

By the way, there is also a Diary of a Wimpy kid book (I forget its name right now) that discusses (in a child-oriented way) how the movies were made. My son loves that one as well, so if you are looking for something non-fiction you should really check it out.
on October 8, 2015
The Diary of a Wimpy Kid book series is actually one of my favorite kids collection that I, myself, find funny. I don't always find myself laughing out loud when reading books together with my son. The humor is this particular book is appropriate for a young audience and it's cute. It doesn't have any hardcore violence or foul language like a lot of books out there. My son has read the series, especially this book and the first one, over and over. The illustrations are too funny too.
If you have read the first one, then I think that it is definitely worth reading the rest in the series, but even if you read them solo they are good.
The vocabulary is not too difficult. My son has been reading the book series since he was five, but I'd say they are easiest for maybe a 4th or 5th grader to understand the most.
There is also a movie version of this book that my family has watched a number of times and like as well.
on July 5, 2015
When my son started the 2nd grade he hated having to read and saw it as nothing more than a chore and it was a fight to get him to do it. When seeing the books they were reading, I could completely understand why. I made various attempts to show him reading was fun and still it was just a chore to him and he'd constantly act like he couldn't read as well as he could to get out of having to read... until I started buying him the Diary of a wimpy kid series. He now has a greater love for reading and understanding that it can be fun and enjoyable. He went from complaining every time he had to read for class to being happy to do so and reads proficiently above grade level. He also likes discussing the books with me and telling me about what is happening. He is always very eager to get the next book in the series (and I have found amazon to have great prices on them) and has a very great sense of accomplishment when he finishes each book. The fact that this series has given my son joy in reading has been invaluable.