4.0 out of 5 stars The Usual Dummy Fare
On the day I'm writing this, nine reviews of Dog Photography for Dummies precide mine, all of them rating the book five stars. Now that I've finished reading the book from cover to cover, I'd say a five star rating is overly generous.

Published on November 27, 2011 by Spudman

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for snapshots
As a professional pet photographer, I got this book through the Vine program to see what was being taught to beginners. I have to say, I wasn't overly impressed with what I saw. The information, while directed towards beginners, was on par with helping them create cute snapshots, not true portraits a customer might wish to purchase. Most of the information is geared...
Published on March 22, 2012 by S. Stinson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars The Usual Dummy Fare, November 27, 2011
Spudman (Pasadena, MD United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

For me the book is somewhat helpful, but being a book for Dummies it dwells on the obvious and tries to cover every aspect of photography and dog photography, including choice of equipment and dog psychololgy. Of the 18 chapters 6 are devoted to the actual process of taking dog photos. Most of the other chapters are about photography basics, post processing and displaying photos, the ins and outs of starting a dog photography business and giving back by helping shelters.

The text is understandable and clear with ample photographs to exemplify what is explained in the text. For the most part the sample photos are very good, but I wish there were more of them. The post processing tips are helpful and well illustrated, though the choice of two complicated and expensive programs (PhotoShop and Lightroom) is a bit disconcerting. I would think a Dummies book would choose cheaper and more mainstream programs like Photoshop Elements or the free Picasa.

It seems kind of odd and out of place to include so many chapters at the end about establishing a pet photo business and how to conduct photo shoots for and with clients. I wouldn't think that someone good enough to consider making a living from photography would read a photography book for dummies.

There is small segment about the problems of photographing predominantly black or white dogs. Having two white dogs I was hoping for some helpful tips, but disappointingly there's nothing here that I hadn't already read in other photography books.

If I were to grade this book, I'd award it a B; Dog Photography for Dummies is well organized and can be of help to many pet owners, but this 300 page book could have been fifty pages shorter without sacrificing any pertinent content.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, October 13, 2011
This review is from: Dog Photography For Dummies (Paperback)
I absolutely loved this book! Written in a way that was both entertaining and educational, I gained practical tools to finally capture the images of my little guy that I have been trying to get for years. As an added bonus, the tips provided in this book have proven helpful throughout my photography and has actually made me a better artist. I will definitely be recommending this title to all of the dog lovers in my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!!!, October 14, 2011
This review is from: Dog Photography For Dummies (Paperback)
A must for any dog owner who is like me - who wants to capture all of the adorable things your dogs do, but the pictures end up looking horrible! I love that they included a chapter on photographing a black dog - for me, this has been next to impossible. I'm charging up my camera right now so I can use the tips I've learned!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Pet Photography book I have EVER read!, January 28, 2012
This review is from: Dog Photography For Dummies (Paperback)
I am a pet photographer who has just started out (been in business for less than two years) and I have been buying pet photography books so I can expand my knowledge as much as I can. I have bought and read at least twelve pet photography books, and this one is by far the BEST I have ever read! It is so detailed and gives you lots of pointers, tips and hints on what works best and what to never do. This book is bursting at the seams with photography ideas and skills to practice, safety tips, how to photograph pets in a variety of settings and situations, how to deal with problems that will come your way and even how to make your photos the best they can be with step-by-step photo touch up skills on the computer and the best ways to present your photos! I read the entire book in 3 days and plan on re-reading it several times! It's THAT GOOD! It doesn't matter if your a beginner or have several years of experience under your belt, this book is sure to help you improve your pet photography! Great job, and Thank You to Kim and Sarah! I will keep this book close by for the rest of my photography days! Absolutely love love LOVE this book!!

~ Brooke
Brooklynn Photography Pawtraits

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for non-photogs, January 4, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a three year old golden retriever. I can never seem to get a picture of her that really captures her personality. This book was great for giving some ideas on angles and shots that highlight your dog's individual charm. Things like how to get them into a particular pose, how to address 'performance anxiety (ie spastic dog)', different photo shoot locations to try (as well as things to be mindful of for each type of location). I love the fact that they have marked the book for quick reference so you can skim the book after you read it to find what you are looking for. They also highlight suggestions for normal point and click cameras in case you haven't thrown down a few grand on expensive equipment. Like the other books in the Dummies series, it is extremely easy to read and comprehend. Anyone that has a dog that is a member of the family would find value in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped me understand my camera better, December 29, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This book not only provides tons of practical advice on how to get good pictures of your dog, it also explains DSLR basics in a truly understandable way. Although not really a camera book, it helps you make sense of the things your camera does and how you can use it to get the results you want. Loaded with great color photos and laid out to be easy to read and make it easy to find things, it is a book both to read all the way through and to use as a reference. It uses simple language and leads you through various processes in an easy, step-by-step manner. The authors not only tell you how to use your camera to capture the shots you want, they also let you in on secrets for getting your dog to pose on camera and do the types of things you want to take pictures of. A number of things I never quite understood about my camera before became much clearer to me as I read this book. If, like me, you have a dog that is constantly doing things you wish you could capture on film, you'll appreciate this book. Even if you have a sweet but laid-back dog that is not a "performer," the stunning pictures you can get will be treasures in your family album. Unless you are a professional dog trainer AND a professional photographer, there is probably something in this book you don't already know about photographing dogs that will help you take more photos of your dog that are original, natural, and definite "keepers." I'm glad I got it, and it will be fun to try out the techniques for getting my dog to pose and use my newfound understanding of my camera settings to capture the shots the way I really want them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reviewed by a Doggie, December 15, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We've read our share of the "For Dummies" series of books, to which we hold much praise for. So when the opportunity presented itself to receive a copy of the book, "Dog Photography for Dummies," we jumped at the chance, and gave the honor to our doggie reviewer, 'Bailey Be Good.' Bailey is an 18-month-old Belgian Shepherd mix. The following review is told from Bailey's point of view.

Dogs and photography? Since I have my own blog, I couldn't resist. As I pawed through the pages of this book, I saw a lot of doggie photos, read a lot of tips, and learned a lot. Some of what I learned included working with doggies to get the best shots, tips on indoor and outdoor lighting, and different types of photography equipment. I think my most favorite chapter was the one that talked about taking close-up shots of doggies, like their noses, tails, and eyes... I admit though, I really enjoyed looking at the doggie pictures!

Here's the Good Stuff:

*The book is for dummies! That means that ANYONE could read it... even me. Teehee!
*There are 18 chapters full of content!
*The information in each chapter is clearly organized, really detailed, and very easy to understand.
*Explains how to get doggies to be the best subjects, by using trickery, bribery, and toys!
*Teaches how to use indoor and outdoor lighting to your advantage.
*Reviews all types of photography equipment, including cameras, camera settings, lenses, memory cards, etc.
*Explains composition, and all types of photos, including posed, action, candid...
*Includes information on how to edit your photos with editing software such as Photoshop.
*There's an accompanying `cheat sheet' online for the book -- great for a quick read and review.

Here's the Not-So-Good Stuff:

There may be a few words in the book that I had trouble reading, but hey, I'm a doggie! We're not supposed to read! (Teehee! I'm just kidding. There's nothin' under this heading to see.)

My conclusion?

I recommend this book, "Dog Photography for Dummies" -- if you photograph doggies for fun, or for business, you're sure to find something in this book to help improve your skills. We did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely helpful guide for the novice or the pro, October 21, 2011
This review is from: Dog Photography For Dummies (Paperback)
FINALLY! I have always had trouble getting good photos of my dogs. This book is wonderful. It is an easy to read, practical guide to getting that perfect shot. And it's not as hard or expensive as I imagined - the tips they provide are invaluable for the lay photographer and even beneficial for a pro as well. I especially loved chapter 9: Zooming in on Close-Ups and Details. Those tiny details are all it takes to elevate a good picture to an amazing picture! If you are thinking about starting your own side business taking pictures of dogs and cats or you just want to get a great shot of your Fido, this is your book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, June 21, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As all the books in this "Dummies" series, Dog Photography is great. Tips for great shots, easy to understand text, examples, and humor all make a great guidebook!

4.0 out of 5 stars Summary of the book: PATIENTLY WAIT FOR THE GOOD PICTURE, June 12, 2012
Summary of the book: PATIENTLY WAIT FOR THE GOOD PICTURE
The author opens your mind to understanding that you are not always going to get a good shot just because you are in the mood of taking pictures. You must be patient and wait for a good picture and there might even be times where you will not get a single good shot......but don't get mad at fido, he's just being himself. After reading some of great tips offered here I had a nice photo session with my dogs.....totally recommend the book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Dog Photography For Dummies
Dog Photography For Dummies by Kim Rodgers (Paperback - October 25, 2011)
$24.99 $18.41