Published on July 9, 2012 by Justin J Wheeler

3.0 out of 5 stars Read the books!
If you're looking for Walt Longmire or any of the cast of characters in the books, look elsewhere. I watched the first couple of episodes on TNT and thought I'd take a look at the books. I've become addicted to the books, the TV series not so much.
Published 18 months ago by Margaret Hamlin

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a Brilliant Modern Western That Doesn't Insult Westerners, July 9, 2012
Justin J Wheeler (Los Angeles, CA, US) - See all my reviews
I stumbled upon Longmire on Amazon Prime and was surprised I had never heard of it...it made me realize that all of the fancy behavioral targeting that Google, Amazon and Facebook do aren't a finely-honed craft yet. How could I have never heard of a show that is so perfectly targeted to me? I am a male in my mid-30s, I love police dramas and Westerns, I own a Ford Bronco, I own and shoot firearms, I grew up in Utah and currently own ranch property in Idaho, and I regularly purchase Filson, Carhartt and other clothing worn and featured on the show. The show is set in Wyoming, the lead drives a Bronco and wears Filson & Carhartt clothing...15 years from now I could be him.

Yet even with all that, I'd never heard of this gem. Longmire combines all of the elements of a great Western with those of the modern Cop drama, and wraps both neatly into a comfortable and extremely realistic presentation of Wyoming life. The show is brilliantly filmed as well, with shots that the vast majority of television shows simply do not dare to attempt, but Longmire balances artistic shots (like a close up shot of a teardrop hitting his dirty boot when Longmire has to tell a woman her husband has been killed) with classical Western-theme shots: fans of High Noon and Lonesome Dove will feel right at home.

In a world of formula cop dramas and over the top western-themed shows filled with anachronisms and melodrama, Longmire is massively refreshing, engrossing and wonderful. Conflicted, complex characters, well developed story lines and a sense of realism not generally allowed out of the Hollywood Polish machine.

As a resident of a Western state, I feel like there is finally a show that represents Westerners as real people. Intelligent, passionate, flawed & conflicted, but above all real people. Wyoming isn't fly-over country filled with fly-over simple folks who don't represent enough Electoral votes to worry about when it comes to producing good, quality television programming. In an era where Hollywood is so focused on preaching to us with News Room or telling us we're nothing but dumb hillbillies mostly missing teeth, it was amazing to find a show that got it, and so perfectly.

If you're a Westerner, you'll love Longmire. It won't insult you and it's very well produced. If you're a non-Westerner, may want to check it out to help you realize not everyone who lives between CA and NY is a Yokle or a school-teaching drug dealer. This is how good TV can be.

Summing up: Extremely well acted, written and produced, Longmire is the best show I've seen on TV (in this case on Amazon) this year. I heartily recommend it and want to say THANK YOU to A&E for having the vision to let this show be produced and aired.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Western Mystery Series, July 16, 2012
If you like Big Sky Country and mysteries, this series seems like a perfect marriage of the two. It is worth watching for the scenery and rustic interiors alone. Based on a popular mystery series by Craig Johnson, the sheriff, Walt Longmire, is skillfully played as an independent, compassionate but tough lawman who is recovering from the death of his wife. Australian actor Robert Taylor plays this role but leaves his accent down under. At first he seemed nondescript to me. Couldn't pick him out in a line-up, but his magnetism grows on you. He has got an abrasive and occasionally annoying female deputy, Vic, whose impulsive energy is the perfect foil for his understated demeanor.

Series that are based on novels seems to have more depth of detail and nuances. Look forward to seeing future episodes. I think this is going to be a popular series as it has the essentials: likable detective, inspired casting, gorgeous setting, rustic western decor, complex plots and characters, and interesting dialogue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Authentic Western Mysteries (a review of the whole first season), September 6, 2012
The Rocky Mountain West, including Wyoming, is a unique part of the country. It isn't the Midwest, and it isn't even remotely like the West Coast. Here, for better or worse, the old mountain man ethos lives on--the rugged individual, fighting alone, up against Nature Red in Tooth and Claw. The worst teeth and claws, though, belong to fellow humans.

Sheriff Walt Longmire is feeling a little old and tired, and he's still grieving his wife's death, but he keeps on because he's driven to fight those evils and to protect the young, the weak, the vulnerable. His best friend, Henry Standing Bear, is a Cheyenne who owns and runs a bar--the Red Pony--out on the border of the rez. Henry keeps well in touch with his spiritual roots, and his laconic but peppery advice keeps Walt in line.

Then there's Walt's grown daughter Cady, a lovely--and pretty hot--lawyer; there's Branch, the handsome, up-and-coming deputy who wants Walt's job; there's Victoria Moretti, the blonde, no-nonsense deputy from Philadelphia Walt trusts, and The Ferg, who is also a deputy and would like to be a good one when he grows up; there's Ruby, the office manager who keeps him tethered to the community no matter how far he wanders into the wilderness of mountains or his own mind--the list of great secondary characters goes on and on.

The Western natural settings are authentic (though not actually shot in Wyoming), and the brooding wide open spaces join the cast in creating stories that blend the recent half-civilized past with the not-quite-civilized present. The actors are well-chosen for their parts, especially Robert Taylor as Walt, Lou Diamond Phillips as Henry, and Bailey Chase as Branch, and they all do a stellar job of portraying their characters. The dialog is NOT crisp--we westerners don't talk that way--it's real and telling.

If you like stories about the genuine contemporary West, or if you like character-driven mysteries, you will love these episodes. My only criticism, the eternal caveat of a reader, is that the filmed stories are not as good as the books that inspired them, even though author Craig Johnson was a close adviser. Enjoy the television episodes--and then find Johnson's terrific books to really enter Walt's world and get to know him and the other characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Longmire is the Justified of the summer!, July 8, 2012
I have only ever paid for 2 tv programs, Justified, and now Longmire. Once I saw the pilot episode, I knew A&E had a hit. I am really excited to see what this season has to offer and am already left wanting many seasons to come. Thanks A&E!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Real West, June 12, 2012
I have read all of the Walt Longmire books and met the author a number of times since he and his wife live about 80 miles north of Casper, Wyoming where I live. The feel of the series, so far, is very like the books and has the same sense of the wide open country and gritty people. The books do have more humor, but that may come out as the series goes along. The tv programs share most of the charactors from the books while creating new stories. I think that Taylor does a great job creating a believable Walt along with the rest of the cast. I do hope that they show more background shots of Wyoming and the Big Horn Mountains even though they are shooting the programs in New Mexico. One minor nit to pick on the first show is Walt calling a flock of ravens a kindness. Being a birder I know that a flock of ravens can be called a "unkindness" as anyone who has seen ravens at a carcass will agree. I think that this is the best Western themed show in tv since "Gun Smoke". jot

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the books but still worth watching, July 2, 2012
Sandy "WR Gma" (Wood River, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I discovered the first book as a Kindle Daily Deal and quickly became enthralled. I knew there was supposed to be a series coming, checked and found it here. I watched all 4 of the first ones over the weekend and found them enjoyable. (I appreciated the opportunity to sign up for all as they become available, paying along the way. This way I don't have to keep checking to see if there are new ones to watch.) I'll continue to work my way through the books, though, and treasure every minute reading his exceptional writing. If you have to choose, pick the books. They last longer and are exceptional compared to enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars The first show to get my attention in forever, August 14, 2012
It is the only TV series I have ever recommended to my close friends. If you hold onto the belief that there are still some good people left in this country, you will enjoy this series. Sheriff Longmire has some issues that he is working through, like all of us, but he is doing his level best. His generation has hit it's peak, but he still has valuable wisdom to pass to the next. Any series that deals with Indian culture and issues is welcome, especially in the present tense. Watch the Pilot first.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is what Westerns used to be, June 25, 2012
A. D. Wilkerson (Gaithersburg, MD USA) - See all my reviews
I started watching Longmire because it's filmed in the state of New Mexico and I have friends there. However, I continued to watch it because it's the old fashioned kind of western with a modern day twist. Longmire reminds me of people I know in the Southwest, warts and all. Lou Diamond Phillips makes a nice counterpoint to Longmire's character. The plots are tight and the characters are well drawn -- no one is a cardboard characture. The topics are modern day problems such as religious tolerance and the drug trade. You get the feeling that if Marshal Dillon had lived in modern times, he'd be just like Longmire. Bottom Line: Highly recommend it..

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done, March 9, 2013
D. Kohfield (Anchorage, AK USA) - See all my reviews
This series is refreshingly good television. It isn't often I give anything five stars. The entire package has to come together in a way that exudes quality on every level. If I had to compare this series to something I deem to be of similar quality, I'd compare it to the Jesse Stone, made-for-TV movies starring Tom Selleck. Not the norm -- definitely a cut above. Well done.

3.0 out of 5 stars Read the books!, January 23, 2013
Notwithstanding, the characters are not Craig Johnson's; but the stories have been hacked to the point of non-recognition. One of my favorites "a Cold Dish" was taken apart and put back together with no heart and little of the original story in place.
Although I like Lou Diamond, he is no Henry Standing Bear; Kaytee Sackoff not only does not bear a physical resemblance to Victoria Moretti, but could not be farther from the essence of the character; and, how can anybody in their right mind think Cady Longmire could be in a relationship with Branch Connelly. Robert Taylor makes a passable Walt Longmire, but lacks the humor and intellect that comes with the character.
His relationships with both his daughter and his deputy (Vic) are given short shrift, or scarified for the sake of good (what!)TV, as is his relationship with his boyhood best friend Henry Standing Bear. These relationships are in large part of what makes Walt Longmire who he is.
Watch the TV series and enjoy it; but, don't read the books if you do; or, better yet read the books and leave the TV series alone.

Dog Soldier