Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now

Format: Board book|Change

on May 15, 2003
If you are incapable of letting loose and hamming it up for your child, DON'T buy this book! In the course of this book you are required to make a bunch of different dog noises. Actually, as you look at the dogs, and at how the different barks are spelled, your barks will surely evolve into very different barks, and this will leave your children howling with laughter.
Caution: if someone else has already read this to your children numerous times, try to listen to them before you read it aloud, as your children will correct your barks!
This is another of the Boynton books that is short enough to hold even the littlest guy's attention, and begs for interaction. Even children who are not yet speaking may find themselves howling at the moon with the doggies.
This book is great for family collaborations. Different family members are sure to be better at differnt dog sounds.
11 comment|151 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 28, 1997
My daughter loves to hear me read this book and I love to read it. It's a counting book that has ten different doggies with different barks. My daughter's favorite is doggie number three. He says ...nnn...nnn...nnn... We both die laughing every time we read it and we read it a lot. She is 20 months and I am 34.
on May 14, 2000
When we first read Doggies to my daughter, she started laughing hysterically. We had heard little laughs before but, this was much more than that. Soon, all three of us were on the floor laughing like mad. Since it was my birthday, it made for the greatest gift I could have received. We have the book memorized and will often recite it in the car or on a walk. Our daughter, Annika, loves the moon and always touches it when we get to the howling dogs. Plus, my mother-in-laws dog, Winnie, joins in the fun when we are at grandma's house. We recommend this book to everyone who has a baby and have made it a standard gift for all of our friends who are parents-to-be
Jeff and Kristen Danielsen
on February 28, 2000
I gave a copy of Doggies to my nephew Jordan when he was about two years old. It must have been a hit: in a letter, his Mom wrote to tell me that the next time I visited, she and her husband would bind me to the couch, plop Jordi beside me and make me read Doggies to him over and over and over and over and over...
on May 11, 2015
I bought this little book because my toddler loves dogs and she loves to make barking noises. She loves to carry this book around the house. She enjoys flipping through the pages, pointing at the dogs, and barking. There is not a storyline in the book but, for the price you really cant go wrong. This book brings her so much enjoyment.
review image
on June 14, 2000
My 15 month old son has been "reading" this book since he was about 10 months old. He'll turn a page and read "woof, woof", he turns another page and reads, "aaaaaooooooooo". His delight in "reading" it himself is obvious. What a wonderful way to instill a love of reading in the very young!
on June 12, 2015
Cute, but I wish there was more of a variety in the dog pictures. As you can see in the photo, the same dogs are repeated on each page with the addition of one new dog. It's still a really cute book that's really fun to read with the kids.
review image
on October 30, 2004
I'm 14 months old and this has been my favorite book for months! My mommy and daddy read it to me with all of the effects which makes me crack up. I imitate a number of the sounds when I see Doggies on the street. Like other reviewers, I agree it isn't all that helpful in teaching counting, but I'm too young to understand that anyway. Not only does this book continue to keep my attention, but it taught me that books can have fun surprises, which has enabled me to be willing to try other books (you'll know what I mean when you get to six dogs, and nine dogs). Overall, I'd highly recommend this book for very young babies, especially the children of dog-lovers who know exactly what nnn-nnn-nnn means in dog-speak.
on June 28, 2006
We adore the majority of Ms. Boynton's books, but I cringe when my son decides he'd like to hear this one. It is simply barking in different volumes and "languages" and drives ME crazy....and I have 7 dogs!

However, Ms. Boynton knows children and my son enjoys it everytime. He doesn't choose it as often as some of her other books...like Barnyard Dance or the The Going to Bed Book.
on April 20, 2015
Story time with my 11-month-old is always the same - she tugs at the book, chews it, flips the pages like a maniac, and is generally restless and impatient like babies tend to be, while I try to make something up or go from memory because I can't see the page for long enough to actually read. That is, until we got this book. For the first time ever in her life, she just sat there, looked and listened, without even touching the book, totally mesmerized! Occasionally a sound from down the hall would catch her attention, but she'd immediately look back at the book! She sat still and paid attention until the end. I couldn't believe it. Maybe it was the crazy dog sounds? I don't know what it was, but for the first time I felt like I was actually reading a book to a kid, not just wrestling. It was awesome. This is our new favorite book!