5.0 out of 5 stars Simply love it
I can't say enough about this bed. My 15 year old cocker spaniel has a tendency to urinate in his bed sometimes. With this beg, all i have to do, is wipe it and it's new again, no need to wash any item in the washing machine or need to throw it away. My dog loves it because it suggles his body when he lays on it.
Published on December 29, 2012 by Tulip

1.0 out of 5 stars What a disappointment!
Published on January 14, 2012 by Research Hound

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars What a disappointment!, January 14, 2012
In March 2011, I purchased two of these beds (not from Amazon) in XL to try. I've spent a lot of money on dog beds over the years, including making them myself in my quest for a durable waterproof bed that can withstand sun, dirt, mud, water, hair, toenails and abrasive surfaces. The cover on these beds seemed to fit that bill perfectly. Unfortunately, about 10 months after my purchase, during a routine clean-out/checkup of the dog house where I keep one of the beds, I found that the rubber-type teflon coating on the backside of the cover had started peeling off in a 6" x 6" area, allowing water to get in. I duct taped that area, but when I checked on the bed a month or so later, I found that the coating had started to crack/split in several other places near the original defective area, again allowing water in and causing my poor dog to have to sleep on a damp, mildewy bed AGAIN. I will also say that the dog that uses this bed is not incontinent or destructive, so this was not user-caused damage. I have contacted the manufacturer, Hagen, who told me the beds have a 1 year warranty, so per their request, I have submitted pictures of the area and a copy of my invoice. Hopefully they stand behind their product as they claim, and although the rep I talked to said this issue was nothing she had ever heard of before, I have kind of lost faith in these beds. Luckily this happened before the 1 year warranty was up, but even if it had happened at the 2 year mark, given that this particular bed is completely inside a huge doghouse with still plenty of room (no crimping up of material), that only one dog uses and is not destructive, and it never sees sunlight or other things that might cause a breakdown in the material, I feel for the cost of these beds, they should last much, much longer.

As far as the inside of the bed goes, it is like a half filled bean bag chair that shifts around very easily, causing very large, hard areas that are impossible for the dog to lay on. After smoothing the bed out, holding it down, and having them get on it as I released it, I ended up with a dog taco, which none of my dogs liked. I've experimented by removing some of the fill, all of the fill, adding regular stuffing and everything else I can think of to try to make the beds work. The only solution I have found was to remove the entire inner shell and replace it with old bed pillows and/or one of my orthopedic beds that remains flat and offers good support, since one of my elderly dogs who is rather short cannot climb over large compacted areas of this bed to lie down. That makes for a very expensive cover that now appears to fail in about 9-10 months. What a shame, as I had such high hopes for this bed. It seems very durable and possibly would work fine for inside use with a dog that does not have any liquid issues, but there are cheaper beds out there that would serve that purpose.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible, horrible, horrible, April 26, 2012
I bought this bed because I'm washing too much dog bedding every week and wanted something I could just wipe clean with a damp cloth. I also needed a bed with a non-skid bottom to put in the living area where we have new laminate flooring.

I put this in my Doberman's large crate and when I saw her the next morning, all the stuffing was pushed up on one side and she was buried and trapped in the flat half of the bed. She hated the sound of the bean-bag stuffing and could never get her weight shifted to prevent all the stuffing from piling up on one side. I pulled out all of the bean-bag stuffing and filled the canvas cover with old blankets. I thought this bed had a non-slip bottom so it would not slide on my laminate floor, but it does not -- it was all over the room, so I just put it in her crate. If it weren't so large, I would have returned it. Additionally, the seam along the bottom would not keep out water if this were used outside....it has places that pucker along the velcro seam. Awful design. I do not believe this is waterproof because when I removed the white liner that contained the bean-bag stuffing, it had 2 stains on it after 1 night (from her drool, I'm guessing). The manufacturer should consider using a foam pad in this canvas cover and putting the non-slip bottom on and call this an indoor bed. I really needed a non-slip, cushy, wipe-clean bed. Major disappointment and waste of money. I've since bought a large plastic tub dog bed with rubber non-skid bottoms and am going to try that with blankets in it....but I'm still left washing too much dog bedding every week. (((sigh))) She has to have a bed in my office, my bedroom, her crate, and the living area.....

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not Buy, September 10, 2012
This is a horrible product that didn't last or live up to the expectations set by the company. It is easily torn up and has MILLIONS of little foam balls in it. It's not soft/smooth. I would absolutely not recommend it to anyone.

2.0 out of 5 stars Awkward Bed, July 1, 2013
This review is from: Dogit X-Gear Weather Tech Waterproof Dog Bed, Black, Extra Large (Misc.)
I have two outdoor living wirehair pointers. I wanted this bed by the slider since my dogs lay on the pavers to see in the house. The bed is more like a bean bag. One dog can lay on one side and they sink into the beans and the other dog really cant lay on it. Super awkward bed and very uncomfortable for my dogs that only use it because they have too. They are very uncomfortable when laying in the bed but use it anyway. I wouldn't buy another one. Its slick, hard, over filled, just sucks. I will try to remove beans or whatever is in to try and make it more comfortable.

4.0 out of 5 stars awesome dog bed, January 31, 2013
my dogs really like this pillow it is big enough for both of them to use and i don't have to
worry about it getting damaged by the rain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply love it, December 29, 2012

1.0 out of 5 stars Flawed concept of support, October 4, 2012
The beds look good and do repel water but they don't work well as beds. They are filled with small beads that shift noisily as the dog tries to get on the bed. The beads all move out from under the dog's body, making the bed lumpy and leaving a big depression in the middle with no support. I've tried to figure out how to remedy the problem but there is no easy solution. My dogs hate these beds (I bought two) and no other dog I've offered them to will use them under any circumstance. I'm terribly disappointed and feel that I wasted my money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Dog Bed, May 5, 2012
I was looking for a water proof dog bed for my 11 year old GSP, who has been having some problems with hold it all night long. So we ordered it hoping it would meet our need. Well when it arrived all of our dogs (4) loved it and it has become the center of attention for who ever can get to it first. It is big and has a lot of loft, and is easy to clean. We have been very happy with the bed and will purchase another one when the time come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted, December 29, 2011
I ordered this bed for 2 dogs to share. It is big enough for 2 german shorthairs who do not mind curling up together. It is very tuff and perfect for the mud room where they will dry off ( that is where the waterproof will keep from having a soggy, stinky bed to deal with) before coming into the rest of the house. It was worth every penny and I have no doubt it will be around for years. In summer I plan to put it on the deck for them. This is a well made and thought out dog bed.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this bed for anywhere a wet dog might be ..., September 8, 2014
I love this bed for anywhere a wet dog might be or if the weather is wet. I bought one that sits under a table on my deck. It's been there for 4 years and my female German Shepherd would live out there on that bed if I let her. I just now replaced the pillow because it is getting micro-tears from exposure to the sun for all those years. I also bought 3 more, in addition to the one, that will go up to our cabin on the back covered porch where the dogs will go until they dry out from swimming. Awesome beds that are easy to maintain and last forever.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›