5.0 out of 5 stars At last an authoritative book on the science of dog training
Published on July 21, 1999 by Steve Lindsay (slindsay@ix.net...

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic operant conditioning
Published on June 3, 2007 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars At last an authoritative book on the science of dog training, July 21, 1999
Steve Lindsay (slindsay@ix.netcom.com) (Canine Behavioral Services, Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How Dogs Learn (Howell reference books) (Hardcover)
Drs. Burch and Bailey have brought together their considerable talents to produce an important book for both dog owners and professional trainers. Dog owners will find the book to be a valuable resource for understanding how dogs learn, making their training efforts more positive and rewarding--both for themselves and for their dogs. The professional trainer will find the book to be an informative introduction to basic learning concepts and techniques; they will also appreciate the authors' balanced approach to explaining operant technology. Overall, the authors have done an excellent job of introducing operant methods (such as clicker training) and explaining how they can be used to improve the dog's behavior. Finally, the book is written in a lucid and accessible style, but be forewarned, there is not much in the way of entertaining fluff here, although the book is nicely illustrated with many wonderful anecdotes and examples that both the novice and expert will appreciate. Dr. Burch is a highly respected Certified Applied Animal Behaviorist, whose efforts to improve dog training and to develop humane methods for treating behavior problems are well-known within the dog world. Dr. Bailey is a Professor of Psychology at Florida State University. Among his impressive credentials, he is past editor of the Journal for Applied Behavior Analysis. If you are serious about dogs and training, you should read this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Professional Trainer, July 4, 1999
This review is from: How Dogs Learn (Howell reference books) (Hardcover)
As a professional police dog trainer this book is the only dog training book that I have read that addresses the heart of in my field training. Late in life I decided to learn about the science behind training and now a student of behavior science. This book should be a must read for every trainer. Information here goes directly to applied behavior modification something every trainer should have at very least a working understanding of.

4.0 out of 5 stars An In Depth View of a Dog's Reasoning, May 30, 2001
Scott Robinson (Woodland Hills, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How Dogs Learn (Howell reference books) (Hardcover)
A very good book for the more technical reader. Ever since Pavlov got dogs to salivate when he rang a bell, man has studied dogs and associated their behavior with ours. This book uses all that great dog data (60-100 years)to tell us more about dogs instead of humans. Novel idea. I liked it. A little dry. I read most books and hope to get something good I can use. This book more than met my expectations. "Behavior Problems In Dogs" I think Bill Cambell was as good or better. Both must reads for the serious trainer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic operant conditioning, June 3, 2007
This review is from: How Dogs Learn (Howell reference books) (Hardcover)
This book was a little simple for me, since I have and experimental psychology background. However, I did discuss it with a few friends with dogs, and found that they had no idea that they were actually reinforcing bad behaviors in their dogs. There are very good suggestions for gradually encouraging wanted behaviors and discouraging the unwanted behaviors. I highly recommend this to anyone who has not previously trained a dog. It is also a good checkup for experienced dog people, like me, to make sure we remember all the mistakes we could make.

5.0 out of 5 stars Concise and well written, May 21, 2006
This review is from: How Dogs Learn (Howell reference books) (Hardcover)
A very quick read, this book covers the science of behaviorism very accurately. While I personally didn't learn anything new here (but have read many books on the subject) this was the most concise book on the subject yet. It explains the important concepts without getting too technical but still telling you what you need to know.

This book covered most of what I learned in my undergrad Learning And Behavior psych course.

I reccomend this book to people not just interested in how to train, but interested in why these training methods work. I would also reccomend Pryor's Don't Shoot The Dog which covers the same concepts but relates it to humans as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rereading the good stuff- this is one of the best..., April 1, 2004
This review is from: How Dogs Learn (Howell reference books) (Hardcover)
Coming back into the world of dog training after a few years, I grabbed several of my previously owned books to review and redigest. I have only started to read "How Dogs Learn", and found the first chapter fascinating. It outlines, with just enough information without "too much" detail, the history of behavior and training from the scientists' and the trainers' perspective. I found it so helpful to have both histories and to be able to visually see how the two are now forming bridges to one another's vast databases of knowledge.
I also note that the author is very fair in her assesment of those "training forefathers", who though we as positive trainers might disagree with, truly made great investments in the dog training industry, and who deserve to be recognized for their contributions.
I recognized so many of the people involved, as well as the books, which are also mentioned (which is great- If I want to get into more detail, I know what to look for).
I still have much to read, but I am very excited about reviewing the principles of operant conditioning, and seeing more illustrations of how two worlds have begun to forge a united base of knowledge, which is sure to clarify and enlighten all of us trainers in the end.
Dawn D.
"NJHeart2Heart"

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for training dogs!, March 11, 2011
This book goes over timing, consistency and motivation, with these you can teach any dog any thing! Everything you need to know on how to train a dog is in this book! I am a professional dog trainer and every now and then I reread this book just for a refresher, there are a lot of new terms in it that might get a little bothersome at first, but after you learn them everthything starts to make sense... Almost like common sense, and you wonder why you didn't think of it in the first place

5.0 out of 5 stars Behavioral pricipal broken down to plain english., March 9, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: How Dogs Learn (Howell reference books) (Hardcover)
A very good look at the fundamentals of behavior. This book uses the work of many top behavior reseachers and makes it easily understandable. A must for every animal owner, not just dog people.

5.0 out of 5 stars How Dogs Learn (Burch & Bailey), March 22, 2011
This review is from: How Dogs Learn (Howell reference books) (Hardcover)
This book is stunning in academic detail... as well as offering various foundations on which to build one's own canine education program. This book provides explanations of the different types of training - positive & negative, reinforcement & punishment - as well as how the *why* each type will result in a change in behavior. After 35+ years of working with animals (from punishment based to positive reinforcement based) this book is a Gold Mine!

3.0 out of 5 stars Reads like a textbook, December 28, 2013
This book is great for reference. I gave it three stars because as a trainer who uses "inhumane" methods as defined by the book, I was not a fan at the obvious disdain the author had for the use of training tools such as prong collars and "shock" collars. Instead of addressing them in ways that people misuse them, it should have been written to address their original, training tool intent.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

How Dogs Learn (Howell reference books)
How Dogs Learn (Howell reference books) by Mary R. Burch (Hardcover - May 1, 1999)
Used & New from: $0.99