Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Audible Audio Edition|Change
Price:$17.95

on February 10, 2009
Jennifer Crusie is one of the best contemporary light fiction authors publishing. But 'Dogs and Goddesses' doesn't read like a Crusie book at all. She is famous for her attention grabbing opening sentences, the sexy tension between the major characters, and her laugh aloud lines. I didn't find any of that here. I strongly suggest that potential readers glance at the first page or two of this book; it pretty well predicts what is to come. Some people seem to enjoy it; I didn't. I found it difficult, even after I'd read half the book, to tell the three major characters apart. There were a few funny lines, but nothing like what I'd come to expect from Crusie. I've also enjoyed Anne Stuart's books in the past, and I can't find many if any traces of her strong characterizations and interesting plots here either. I should have known to read the reviews at Amazon before I bought.
44 comments|34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 10, 2009
I was such a fan of Agnes and the Hitman (Jennifer Crusie) that I couldn't wait to read something new by author Crusie. D&G started off clunky. Dogs began to talk after 3 women drank a magic tonic. The women's responses to the talking dogs were cliche. In fact, most of the book is a cliche. These authors, Rich, Crusie, and Stuart, have written several books on their own, yet together, the story felt as if was crafted by three highschool girls in their first creative writing class.
I couldn't help but roll my eyes during the cliche sex scenes. I finally gave up after chapter 10 (I usually give up after the 3rd/4th chapter if I don't synch with a book). I really wanted to like this book. I kept hoping it would get better-but it went from clunky, to better, to bad, to outright silly.
That's just me, though.
I will be looking forward to Crusie's new book w/ Mayer. Not giving up just yet.
on July 24, 2013
Jennifer Crusie and Anne Stuart are two of my very favorite authors whose books I can't pass up so this book was no exception. The story is so ingenious and funny that I reread it every so often just to laugh. It centers around three women who have various issues in their lives and come together in a small college town somewhere in Ohio. They find out that they were goddesses in past lives, they've become goddesses again and besides the fact that they can understand their dogs when they talk, they find their true mates. It's a fast, fun read with the usual twists and turns in the plot that make it interesting reading. If you like to laugh out loud when you're reading, this book is for you.
on May 13, 2011
OK, I am going out on a limb here, LOL, recommending this book. I am solidly a cat person.

Ii is the most phenomenal piece of fluff with a thoroughly ridiculous plot and is utterly delightful. I laughed out loud several times There are talking dogs, modern incarnations of ancient goddesses, one genuine ancient goddess and an equally ancient but gorgeous god king. Well, of course he is gorgeous. Is there ever an ugly male hero?

The book is more sexually explicit than I am ever comfortable with but even that is often quite funny. There are lanuage choices that make me wince but when when the ancient god king picks up the vocab, I laughed.

Over the years i've read many a Jennifer Crusie because they always make me laugh. I'm going to start reading the work of the other two authors.
on February 5, 2009
What can I say- I love dogs and goddesses... so I had high expectations for this book. Actually, I expected a series of separate short stories (since there are 3 authors) and instead was delighted to a 380+ page novel that warmed my heart and delighted me at every moment. Yes, I loved it.

The story is of three women (strangers really) who find themselves bound together as friends as they learn about their history, battle an ancient goddess, talk to dogs, find their true loves, and really come into their own individually and as a trio. Just imagine going to a dog class only to find an ancient goddess has summoned you there and you're expected to be one of her priestesses. Oh, and now you can talk to dogs (and they have definite personalities and opinions!)

I just love it- blending ancient with new, myth with reality... it's a super fun ride.The authors did make up their goddess and her history- a detail I think was wise. Based in modern day Ohio it was interesting to see how an ancient goddess would (NOT) fit in. She thought a plague would kill people, but it was for a disease easily treated these days. She expects people to bow down to her and obey... yet they don't. At the same time the three new goddesses are discovering their power, primal knowledge, and so much more. Reading from all four of these goddesses was a treat and made this a book I couldn't put down.

Smart, funny, and a total delight this book lit my inner goddess for sure! The path to being a goddess for Abby, Daisy, and Shar is paved with cookies, dogs, tonic, love, a temple, a goddess, and lots of female friendship. I can't wait to re-read it again and again.
on December 21, 2013
I liked the premise very much. I also liked the characters, and the dogs.

I'm not going to do a plot summary, except that an ancient Mesopotamian goddess has been revived- because of misspelling on Google, which i think was a brilliant touch!- and is not exactly up-to-date on current society. She drafts heriditary priestesses, most of whom have other plans.

I'm usually not a fan of "chemistry" as a way to determine True Love, but it works well here. The sex scenes are- unusually- very well written and don't go on excessively long, and the couple really seem to relate to each other outside of Passion.

Plus- one of Our Heroines is a 40-something woman, and she gets the REALLY hot dude!

Ok, the premise is silly, but tha's party what makes it a romp. It is NOT a serious book! but- if you like romance, and weird ancient goddesses, and dogs, and a somewhat twisty plot with supernatural elements- well, it's a hoot. I enjoyed it a lot, and will be re-reading it.
on January 25, 2014
Clever twist for a tomance . All the elements of a sexy, romance but with interesting spin . Use of mythology as a background and, of course, handsomne men is not unusual. But I loved that the women are friends and work together instead of clawing and scratching at each other. The incorporation of the dogs was the icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned.
A very enjoyable read. One of my favorite books to read,.
on December 8, 2012
I wanted to like this book because the author is from a small town like my own.

The description of a small town seemed third-hand, at best. Too, the story line seemed ridiculous. I'll put my copy on Book mooch for a while or just throw it in the trash.

Blah!
on July 18, 2015
This is one of the few books that I will re-read for the pure joy of visiting all the many characters, both human and canine. A laugh out loud book all the way through. What the dogs have to say is priceless and the situations unique. I have a paper back and an e-book of this .
on October 30, 2015
Dogs and Goddesses is an excellent paranormal romance romp! The three main female characters are literally divine and the dogs are some of the best and most adorable around. Don't miss this entertaining book!