4.0 out of 5 stars Fun with Goddesses
By Jennifer Crusie, Anne Stuart, and Lani Diane Rich
Published by St. Martin's Press, 2009

Review by Debra Louise Scott

Published on March 3, 2010 by Debra Louise Scott

2.0 out of 5 stars I should have known better....
Published on February 10, 2009 by the Peripatetic Gardener

2.0 out of 5 stars I should have known better...., February 10, 2009
Jennifer Crusie is one of the best contemporary light fiction authors publishing. But 'Dogs and Goddesses' doesn't read like a Crusie book at all. She is famous for her attention grabbing opening sentences, the sexy tension between the major characters, and her laugh aloud lines. I didn't find any of that here. I strongly suggest that potential readers glance at the first page or two of this book; it pretty well predicts what is to come. Some people seem to enjoy it; I didn't. I found it difficult, even after I'd read half the book, to tell the three major characters apart. There were a few funny lines, but nothing like what I'd come to expect from Crusie. I've also enjoyed Anne Stuart's books in the past, and I can't find many if any traces of her strong characterizations and interesting plots here either. I should have known to read the reviews at Amazon before I bought.

2.0 out of 5 stars Gave up after chapter 10, February 10, 2009
I was such a fan of Agnes and the Hitman (Jennifer Crusie) that I couldn't wait to read something new by author Crusie. D&G started off clunky. Dogs began to talk after 3 women drank a magic tonic. The women's responses to the talking dogs were cliche. In fact, most of the book is a cliche. These authors, Rich, Crusie, and Stuart, have written several books on their own, yet together, the story felt as if was crafted by three highschool girls in their first creative writing class.
I couldn't help but roll my eyes during the cliche sex scenes. I finally gave up after chapter 10 (I usually give up after the 3rd/4th chapter if I don't synch with a book). I really wanted to like this book. I kept hoping it would get better-but it went from clunky, to better, to bad, to outright silly.
That's just me, though.
I will be looking forward to Crusie's new book w/ Mayer. Not giving up just yet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun with Goddesses, March 3, 2010
Dogs And Goddesses
By Jennifer Crusie, Anne Stuart, and Lani Diane Rich
Published by St. Martin's Press, 2009

Review by Debra Louise Scott

You bake cookies and suddenly an orgy breaks out all around you. You click your Bic pen and stuff just `happens' to people. Painting your kitchen gives you an orgasm. And, oh yeah, the dogs are talking to you. No, I mean really, they're TALKING! To badly paraphrase a song: Who let the Gods out? Woof, woof, woof, woof!

Dogs And Goddesses is somewhat akin to Neil Gaiman's American Gods at least from the standpoint of ancient deities living ordinary lives and having to work their way around modern conventions and conveniences. But whereas Gaiman's gods are schlepping around America with their own agenda, using the protagonist like a pawn in their game, the three main characters of this story have to deal with deity inside their heads competing for control over daily life in an otherwise sleepy college town.

When a Goddess from Mesopotamia (a fictional contemporary of Ishtar) is called into being at the site of a transplanted Ziggurat, aided and abetted by a family that has remained loyal to her from ancient times, the three women find themselves caught up in a war of divine proportions. The Goddess, accompanied by her retinue of dogs, tries to set up her temple like it used to be in the old days, but times have changed and it's not so easy to get people to worship and swear blind allegiance anymore. She's not pleased and unleashes divine mayhem.

The Three along with their dogs go through a great trial and error period learning to control the heritage they discover inside themselves, a good part of which is an eroticism of mythological proportions! It takes all of that and a sacrificial God to turn the tables on the Ziggurat Goddess.

This cleverly written book is a fun read, and will ring bells of recognition to anyone in the esoteric arts who has experienced the odd sensation of having deity `in your head' in the form of ritual invocation or as some traditions would say, `riding'. It's especially fun for dog-lovers, hearing the canine perspective of the human's world.

5.0 out of 5 stars dogs, goddesses, cookies, and friendship, February 5, 2009
What can I say- I love dogs and goddesses... so I had high expectations for this book. Actually, I expected a series of separate short stories (since there are 3 authors) and instead was delighted to a 380+ page novel that warmed my heart and delighted me at every moment. Yes, I loved it.

The story is of three women (strangers really) who find themselves bound together as friends as they learn about their history, battle an ancient goddess, talk to dogs, find their true loves, and really come into their own individually and as a trio. Just imagine going to a dog class only to find an ancient goddess has summoned you there and you're expected to be one of her priestesses. Oh, and now you can talk to dogs (and they have definite personalities and opinions!)

I just love it- blending ancient with new, myth with reality... it's a super fun ride.The authors did make up their goddess and her history- a detail I think was wise. Based in modern day Ohio it was interesting to see how an ancient goddess would (NOT) fit in. She thought a plague would kill people, but it was for a disease easily treated these days. She expects people to bow down to her and obey... yet they don't. At the same time the three new goddesses are discovering their power, primal knowledge, and so much more. Reading from all four of these goddesses was a treat and made this a book I couldn't put down.

Smart, funny, and a total delight this book lit my inner goddess for sure! The path to being a goddess for Abby, Daisy, and Shar is paved with cookies, dogs, tonic, love, a temple, a goddess, and lots of female friendship. I can't wait to re-read it again and again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreadable!, March 18, 2009
I used to be a huge Jennifer Crusie fan. Her writing in its finest form is fun, funny, and sexy as hell, ideal fare for beach reading, a sick day, or just a good, hearty laugh. This book, written in collusion with Anne Stuart and Lani Diane Rich, featured a painfully contrived plot, main characters virtually indistinguishable from each other, and action that had the remarkable dual qualities of being both overcomplicated and boring. This book is all plot device and no fun whatsoever. At best I found it mind-numbing and at worst I found it grating. This book was a total waste of my money, time and patience. It will be finding its way into the nearest book donate bin.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't read this book because you are a Crusie fan..., March 2, 2009
Yes, Jennifer Crusie is one of the three authors who wrote this book but it is not a typical Crusie novel. In 'Dogs and Goddesses' the three main heroines are cleverly written as women in their 20's, 30's and 40's so the reader can find at least one to connect with. As they embrace their inner priestess-ness (and open a coffehouse) they each meet the love of their lives. The men are each sexy in their own way and there are basically three separate romances going on in this story. The "plot"(and I use this term loosely) centers around an ancient Goddess who re-appears in a small college town in Ohio with big dreams of world domination. Unfortunately for her, a good minion is hard to find in modern society and the only things worshipped are celebrities and thin thighs. What's a goddess to do? (besides down Paxil)- that's where our heroines come in and what ensues is a funny, sexy story which manages to poke fun at our culture without offending. Bottom Line: There is magic, talking dogs and only the thinnest excuse for a plot. Read this for the laughs and the pure escapism and I think you'll enjoy it. As for us Crusie fans...we'll have to wait for her next solo effort.

3.0 out of 5 stars Crusie fans - don' t give up, March 5, 2009
Some reviewers are bashing Jennifer Crusie for this book ("Jennifer Crusie used to Rock"). It's the collaboration in this book that's the problem, not Crusie herself. There are 3 female leads in the book and it's obvious that each author took one story line (for those who can't tell, the middle-aged professor seems to be Crusie's character - you have to admit her dog is funny); this is the same format they followed with the Unfortunate Miss Fortunes. While the book isn't terrible, it's also not good, because this combining of 3 authors' approaches has created something that's generic rather than disctinctive. There are little flashes of Crusie's sparkle and wit, but the book doesn't carry through on them, and having 3 lead characters means that each story arc is basically a short story rather than a full-length book. So, characters and relationships don't develop fully in the way many readers (this reviewer included) would prefer. Crusie is not a fast writer - which normally shows in the high quality of her books - and her last full novel (with Bob Mayer - Agnes & the Hitman) was hilarious, so I'm not giving up on her. Readers should just know what they're getting into when they buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this, February 21, 2014
I have read this book 4 times and still will read it again. It's like watching your favourite movie over and over. Funny ,a little racey well written. Love it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't believe Jennifer Crusie's name is on this book., August 17, 2009
The only reason i bought this book without hesitation was because i saw Jennifer Crusie's name on the cover. I'm a huge fan of hers, i've read almost all her books and though my favourites have always been her solo stuff, i did quite enjoy her past collaborated works as well. Unfortunately, i can't say the same for Dogs and Goddesses. This book was a terrible mess! My review is going to sound like a compilation of other negative reviews here because i too share quite a few complaints with the other reviewers. I'm used to Crusie writing about pet animals and they usually sound cute and amusing, but the talking dogs in this book was just plain annoying! The pace was slow and uneven, the expected Crusie-style witty dialogue was nowhere to be found, and the 3 female characters weren't particularly distinctive or endearing (i couldn't tell who was who after a while). I literally couldn't bring myself to finish this book, and that's something i seldom do (definitely something i NEVER did with a Crusie book before!). I stopped midway and gave up. This was a very disappointing book; i don't really know the other 2 authors' work so i didn't expect anything from them, but i still can't really believe that Jennifer Crusie actually had a hand in this. It's a good thing she had such a strong body of work before this so i can convince myself Dogs and Goddesses was a one-time fluke. The next time i see Crusie's name on a new book cover, i'd still buy it in a heartbeat, and hope she brought her usual sassy talent to the table. In the meantime, like all her other bewildered fans, i'll go re-read Bet Me for the umpteenth time, just to remind myself why she was a fantastic writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars best book ever.........., July 13, 2014
I loved this. The story line laced with animal human interaction was spectacular!
Really hope there are more like this!