Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

on November 22, 2012
I just finished reading "Doing More With Less" and I must say that needed to force my way through to the end of this book. This is likely the result of me not being in Piasecki's target audience. I already consider myself to be a frugal individual and an environmental advocate. I found Piasecki's writing to be self-absorbed and self-promoting. I also found the book to be extremely repetitive. I would challenge those with an electronic version of the book to count the number of instances of "frugal" (including "frugality") and "more with less". However, on page 142, Piasecki writes, "I did not want this book to be repetitive, as much as incantatory..." In my opinion, the incantations in this book were all too recurrent. This book certainly is not for everybody.
on January 23, 2013
I picked up this book because the blurbs and information seemed to be about frugality and following the lessons of Ben Franklin.

Just FYI this "book" is really just 6 chapters, 155 pages total of larger than normal type and a healthy dose of charts. Piasecki talks in very vague terms but manages to say very little in droning blocks of text.

I found very little that was tangibly helpful. The whole tome didn't seem to amount to more than some general droning about the current state of business in the author's views. His sports analogies about "knuckleheads" ruining hockey games somehow being in business didn't make much sense to me. I enjoyed the themes of frugality and interconnectedness, but none of this ever got fleshed out to a practical level.

Considering the amount of name dropping, references to pop culture and number of times the author self-aggrandizes about his other books (mentioned OFTEN throughout the text) I wouldn't really recommend this to anyone. If you want to give it a try it's a quick read for most, but if you want some tips for the individual Money Secrets of the Amish: Finding True Abundance in Simplicity, Sharing, and Saving is a good one, and there are scores of good management books I would recommend above this, almost anything.

Glad I only checked this out from the library instead of buying.
on May 22, 2012
I read several chapters with the hopes that this book would get interesting and make some meaningful points, but in my estimation it never did. The content of this book reminded me of the economic psycho-babble of the looters in Atlas Shrugged. I would probably re-title this book "Doing Less With More". This book was a total waste of money.
on April 19, 2016
There is no actual information or guidance on how to do more with less in this book. Instead,
the author talks about a variety of topics, but I couldn't really say what the point was. There weren't any stories to anchor any chapters, but comments that come and go with no purpose.

EXAMPLES

In one chapter, he says something like "and that's why I don't think peer-reviewed journal writing is very important," but I'm not sure what he's talking about or why.

In another chapter he talks about his single mother taking in foster kids [the perfect real-life topic to address doing more with less], and instead of going through lessons he learned from his mother, it leads to a comment about how the school principal once brought him into the office to ask if his "Mexican brother" and his "black brother" were really his brothers, as they claimed, and he said they were. And then there's nothing else about this.

The title offers so much opportunity to discuss actually doing more with less. Time management (break things into 4 categories: important/urgent thru unimportant/non-urgent). Sure, this was covered in the 7 Habits book, but at least it has value. This book has none.
on June 1, 2012
This book "Doing More with Less" wasn't what I expected and I was disappointed after reading it. Price was good, but surely wasn't what I expected, even though I did peruse through a few pages before buying.
on July 13, 2015
Doing more with less is a new way of life. Dr. Bruce Piasecki's writing provides an inspirational framework for how we should handle our wealth as individuals and as organizations. The world is changing. Bruce does a wonderful job of melting his experience into the book and gives future leaders a hopeful photo lens to cure the world's problems. It's a fresh of air to see someone confidently stress the art frugality in an era where using and doing "more" is presumed "better," which isn't always the case.

After reading this piece, which was my first of Dr. Piasecki's, I was drawn in and wanted to read his other books. I had the pleasure of meeting Dr. Piasecki on vacation in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Bruce is both courageous and honest, sincere and caring all in one mold -- a mix I rarely found in people.
on April 10, 2015
Initially a required reading in one of my Executive MBA classes, I read; and re-read this book for its didactic messages. Bruce vividly paints a picture through his observance of globalization challenges, sustainability, and how people all over the world are adjusting to the new Digital Age! As Managing Director of a boutique strategic management firm, this book inspired me to consider more than the cookie cutter approaches to business consulting, but to also consider the humanistic and environmental cost when advising clients. This book is in my top 5 of motivational writings, including Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell, Even Eagles Need a Push by David McNally, I Moved Your Cheese by Deepak Malhotra, and The Art of War by Sun Tzu.
on March 14, 2012
This is an excellent read that is as relevant to the aspiring business professional as it is to a retiree. In these tough economic times frugality and resourcefulness are more important than ever, and the author does an excellent job in demonstrating to the reader how to live these qualities in everyday life. Furthermore, Doing More With Less is well written in that the author is able to maintain an artful and entertaining narrative while still communicating clearly the underlying lessons of the book.

I would recommend this book to anyone interested in self-improvement. I feel I have learned a lot from reading Doing More With Less, and it only took me one cross-country flight to finish it!
on October 30, 2012
Bruce Piasecki's words really spoke to me. As a Senior in college in environmental sciences, I agree with many of the points that Bruce presents about modern consumerism and current systems. We as a society need to change our beliefs and behaviors. I was inspired by this book to start a job search in a meaningful field where I can work in a fashion that could help change these societal patterns. It has given me direction on how to proceed professionally in a way that is productive to society.
on April 23, 2012
I'll admit that when I picked up Bruce Piasecki's latest, "Doing More With Less - A New Way to Wealth," I remembered, not so fondly, a previous boss's admonition to do more with less. At the time, this imperative -- delivered without any clear guidance on how to accomplish it or what it really meant -- led to widespread irritation and burnout among those of us who were just trying to keep up with doing the same, not more, with fewer resources. But Piasecki's point is different. Hearkening to Ben Franklin's encouragement of thrift in his work and writing, especially in "The Way to Wealth", Piasecki says that success in business (and life) will be marked by a commitment to "competitive frugality," a term he uses to describe the power of restraint that forestalls error and fosters creativity and innovation. He sees the world's megacities as emblematic of a larger trend toward competitive frugality that is born of necessity. Where more people than ever before are leaving rural communities for urban areas, which in turn compels local politicians to compete for "the greenest" stature among their peers, I can understand Piasecki's logic as well as his connection between the concepts of competitive frugality and sustainability. Overall, Piasecki's book strikes me as a more optimistic take on an observation made by many in the environmental and human rights movements that we must observe constraints in extraction of natural and human resources to avoid environmental and social crisis on our collective horizon. To get there, Piasecki notes, we must each commit individually to the idea of competitive frugality before we can achieve a collective vision.