5.0 out of 5 stars Give me Tuscany immediately!!!!
I buy the books for a tiny bookshop in Arrowtown, New Zealand. We had a launch for this book a month ago and the author, Sarah-Kate Lynch was so funny and thought-provoking that the Q and A session went on FAR longer than we had planned.
Published on April 5, 2011 by M. S. Spary

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining
For any woman who has wanted desperately to have children only to find themselves unfathomably able to successfully bear even one, finding a photograph of your husband and a woman with 2 children who bear a similarity to him would surely be devastating. That's what Lily, career corporate woman extraordinaire had to face one morning in her husband's golf shoe...
Published on April 16, 2011 by Caroline Lim

5.0 out of 5 stars Give me Tuscany immediately!!!!, April 5, 2011
This review is from: Dolci di Love: A Novel (Paperback)
As we expected, we sold a lot of books on the day, but what we hadn't expected was the huge sales since then. Everyone has been coming in buying copies on their friends' recommendations and some customers are going out with up to six copies to give away to friends who need a cheer up.

It's the perfect antidote to a bad day. Love, humour, baking and beautiful, beautiful Tuscan setting - there's so much to love about this tender, comic novel and the only downside is realising you are just going to HAVE to go to Tuscany yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, April 4, 2011
This review is from: Dolci di Love: A Novel (Paperback)
I read it in one day -- loved loved it! I spent two and a half years living in a tiny town in southern Italy while my husband served in the air force... what a stitch --- it brought back so many memories to me.. now that I am much much older, I am seeing myself at the 'old guard of the town.... Sarah-Kate managed to capture my youth and my present at the very same time. If you have spent any time in Italy, this will bring smiles to your face. It is a keeper and I will re-read many many times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful read!!!, April 19, 2011
This review is from: Dolci di Love: A Novel (Paperback)
I loved this book!! It was a very quick read that has inspired me to plan a trip to Italy. The widows had me laughing out loud numerous times. What a delightful read! I cannot recommend it enough!

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, April 16, 2011
Caroline Lim (Lexington, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dolci di Love: A Novel (Paperback)

She books a flight to Tuscany, rents a car and reserves a hotel room and heads off to Tuscany to hunt down her cheating husband. But when she gets there, she meets 2 old arthritic sisters who take her under their wing, and unbeknownst to her, are founders of a secret league of Italian widows who orchestrate love matches. She meets her husband's love child, his mistress and finally comes face to face with her husband.

The secret league of matchmaking widows provide some wonderfully humorous moments. Their conniving antics when they first try to force seemingly innocent meetings between Lily and Alessandro, the widower, and then later, discovering who Lily really is, trying to orchestrate a reconciliation, provide comedic situations.

Woven through the comedy though, is the very real pain of a woman who seeks to fill a haunting hole in her life.

A feel-good book that is perfect for a lazy day.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pass on this one, September 13, 2011
This review is from: Dolci di Love: A Novel (Paperback)
This book started off so well, I was really intrigued by the main character and the interaction with her husband and her sister, but once she got settled with the old ladies in Italy everything just went downhill. The character starts to devolve, the plot got a little predictable and the ending was really terrible.

SPOILER**

How does she manage to have a fling with an Italian guy, then get pregnant after having 5 miscarriages? Then she gets back with her cheating husband and they raise the baby together in the same small village at the Italian father? Seriously?! On top of that, she turns out to be this amazing baker?

This book was really a waste, good thing I borrowed from the library.

3.0 out of 5 stars Way too Perfect, September 10, 2011
This review is from: Dolci di Love: A Novel (Paperback)
I enjoyed the authors note (at the end) more than the book. This book had such potential and I was disappointed that I was not "transported" to Tuscany. The characters are unbelievable in their reactions to life. If you like Hallmark TV movies, you will like this book. Definitely a light read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculously cliched story!, May 30, 2013
This review is from: Dolci di Love: A Novel (Paperback)
An utterly insipid story of yet another American woman falling in love in Italy. Repressed professional woman flees marital troubles only to be saved by an Italian romeo and therein rediscovers herself. Cliched characters, typical verging on boring descriptions of Tuscany. Is it me or does every American seem to believe that Italy = Tuscany (Prada, Armani, Ferragamo and those of its ilk)? While I tried to give this book and writer a chance, this book is like chalk (even chalk has a use!). Tasteless and contrived, the plot is formulaic and likely based on countless American-Italy romances already published. A note to authors and would be writers, for goodness sake, make an actual effort to explore the country you choose to write about! Enough of romanticizing Tuscany, flesh out a story before inflicting such nonsense on readers!

4.0 out of 5 stars Charming & Quirky, June 18, 2011
This review is from: Dolci di Love: A Novel (Paperback)
I laughed quite a lot reading Dolci di Love. I did find some of the dialogue out of synch with the age & locale of the several of the characters who were supposed to be speaking, but it didn't negatively impact my enjoyment of the book as a whole. I also surrendered to the improbability that so many Italian nonnas in their 80s & 90s would have a secret match-making network, complete with cellphones, and I just went with the whole shebang. I fell in love with the author's breezy sense of humor. I'd read anything by Sarah-Kate Lynch again in a heartbeat, though I think she'd be better off picking locales that suit her offbeat urban style of writing.

I found it a very interesting notion that a happy family could be made from such a happenstance. Though I won't reveal any spoilers, I do think the amount of forgiveness involved might be beyond the capabilities of most people. Still, I got a big kick out of this book, improbable as much of it was. Excellent humor trumps believability... in this case, anyway.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love as Only the Italians Can Do It, May 3, 2011
This review is from: Dolci di Love: A Novel (Paperback)
Reminiscent of Under the Tuscan Sun, Dolci di Love transported me to beautiful Italy where everything-especially love- is possible.

The realization that her husband has another family is, of course, devastating to Lily, but the part that spoke to me more was the realization that she had lost herself. Lily, like myself, suffers from infertility. The loss of children and the loss of motherhood is too much for Lily to bear. She has thrown herself into her work, and all of her relationships suffer for it. Sarah-Kate Lynch admits that she has not had her own fertility issues, but somehow she captured the pain of it so well that I would believe her if she changed her tune.

Fertility is not the main issue of Dolci di Love-all the ways that women lose themselves is the main conflict. Lily took her life back in Tuscany (with a little help from some very wise, meddling friends), but Dolci di Love made me feel like women can take their lives back anywhere, anytime. All we need is a little help from our friends and a reality check about how when we put ourselves first everything else falls into place.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dolce di Love, October 16, 2013
This review is from: Dolci di Love: A Novel (Paperback)
Lilly is a success in almost every conceivable way. Pretty, hard-nosed businesswoman and married to the perfect guy. But what she craves most, a child, she hasn't been able to achieve. And now she finds out that her perfect guy isn't so perfect after all.

The Secret League of Widowed Darners was amazing. The old woman who made up this club were lively, funny and the most well-rounded of the characters. I loved the parts of the book where they were front and center. Unfortunately, I didn't feel the same way about Lilly and Daniel. Lilly is a strong woman. And to me, Daniel just seems to be way to weak to be the person she is in love with. Their story just didn't feel right or believable to me. I just kept thinking that someone as smart as Lilly would need someone who was more challenging to make her happy. Daniel just came off as someone who was weak-willed, especially with his excuses for his really inexcusable behavior.

With my inability to enjoy the main couple, I just couldn't get into the book as much as I wanted. I'd love to read another book with the Secret League of Widowed Darners as that concept was great. But with me not enjoying about half of the novel's story, I have to say that I was overall disappointed.

Dolci di Love: A Novel
Dolci di Love: A Novel by Sarah-Kate Lynch (Paperback - March 29, 2011)
$15.00 $6.00