Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Size: 68 inch|Change

on April 6, 2010
Love it! Pans smoothly, very easy quick release plate and sets up in a snap. I think it is very sturdy. Seems well constructed and has a nice black canvas back with a strap for slinging over your shoulder. It says it can take up to 11 pounds. The tripod weighs a little over 4 pounds. I use my husband as my personal sherpa, so he can carry it when we trek out together.
You can also tilt the plate and lock it for vertical shots.
Got a great deal on this baby, very happy! Super easy to use.

October 2013: It broke. I can't even say exactly how it happened. My kids put it in the bag and when I went to use it again, it is like it's neck is broken. Just flopped around. I wish I could be more forth coming on HOW and the precise mechanism that seemed to snap, but I couldn't quite figure it out. In it's defense it lasted a while. My kids used it constantly for making their movies so it was put through abuse. I am now searching for a replacement.
on December 6, 2009
I bought this for use with a Canon HF-200 camcorder. I had been looking at lots of lightweight tripods, and finally decided on this one. Using it primarily for indoor use (gymnasium) but have used it outdoors. I am very pleased with it.

Pros
-Sturdy construction
-Easy to setup/use
-Very stable
-All directional movements have tighteners to prevent unwanted movement or gravity's pull
-Very smooth panning
-Quick release pad attaches securely to camera and tripod- metal screw (not cheap plastic)
-Lightweight
-Simple leveling system (single multi-directional bubble)
-Entry level price
-Includes zippered carrying bag w/ adjustable strap

Cons
-None with the tripod itself, but the "instructions" consisted of a double-sided 3X3 glossy card pointing to the various parts, but no explanation. I'm OK with that, I've used a tripod before, it's not hard. For the complete novice, it might be frustrating.

Bottom line:
Unless you are with Nat Geographic or plan on "extreme" videomaking, this tripod is perfect. Very impressed. I've seen plenty of other tripods with less to offer for more money.
on November 28, 2014
I have been loking for a tripod for awhile, then I found this Dolica ST-500 68-Inch Lightweight Tripod. The price is met my budget and I was surprised by the quality and features of this tripod. It is lightweight, has 3-section legs with locks that can be adjusted, 90 degress vertical platform and 3 way fluid panhead. It is also includes a tripod bag. You probably will find a lighter, more sturdy famous tripod brand but you won't find one with this mix of features at this price.
on May 20, 2012
Purchased this tripod at the end of December 2011 with the intention of keeping it at my house as a spare. Today was only the 4th time I used it. After mounting my Nikon on the tripod, I stepped back to take a remote shot. The plastic lever that holds the camera mounting plate in place snapped off and down went my Nikon DSLR onto a wooden floor. The camera luckily survived but the tripod is now useless. I have other Dolica products and have never experienced any problems. Unfortunatley, this model appears to have a poor quality plastic camera mount.
on March 17, 2010
I Just received my tripod, and was blown away by the quality, and the price. I have tried to find an affordable FLUID HEAD tripod for my camcorders for several years, and it seems they are harder to find than hen's teeth. After using a typical cheap tripod, with mechanics that are about as smooth as gravel, this tripod with all of it's features, and smooth action, is amazing for the price. I'd recommend it to anyone contemplating it's purchase.
on March 1, 2015
I know a lot of people love this and I did at first too, but unfortunately I have to recommend against buying this one. I bought this in 2013 and it arrived broken, right before a trip of course. Amazon replaced it next day and thankfully the new one was fine.

After getting the replacement I was quite happy. It definitely isn't great for live pans on video but it was sturdy enough and I did love the light weight, carrying grip and the case. So far so good and it made it through a trip to Hawaii and a trip to San Francisco without much in the way of a problem.

It was in late 2014, about 18 months in, that this thing finally failed me. I was coming back from a trip to Maine and went to use it for a shot of the coast and as soon as I unlocked one of the legs the rivets that hold the leg to the center popped out (never to be found) and suddenly I was a leg down!

Now while I did say I got 18 months out of it, I didn't mention that I only used it for those 3 trips. The rest of the time it was basically in its bag in a dry place in storage. There was absolutely no reason for it to have failed the way it did other than shoddy materials.

Hope that helps someone out there. I will not buy another Dolica and am now in the market for a more reliable tripod that will last me many years. I would not buy this again and cannot recommend it for anyone who wants to get many years out of their next tripod purchase.
on July 11, 2014
Pros: cheap, lightweight,Good for point and shoot light weight caneras.
Cons: made up of plastic totally so the knobs, handles are not very accurate and stable , i was unable to keep equipment stable. The crank up down mechanism is also made up of plastic so doesnt work smoothly sometimes. I ended up returning it.
on October 24, 2014
Been all over town trying to replace the tripod I gave to my son, glad I didn't find anything because this Dolica is better than anything I saw at twice the price. For a lightweight, feature filled tripod I don't believe you can find anything to match it for the price. Although I miss the fluid head on my former heavier tripod, the carry handle, Counter weight hook and swiveling rubber feet more than make up for it. It has the bubble level, pan head and 90 degree vertical angle my other tripod had as well, plus it weighs half as much and has it's own carry case as well. I use it for mounting my binoculars and spotting scope along with the occasional camera. For me, it is exactly what I need for my usage.
on April 6, 2012
Bought this to hold a pair of Celestron 15x70 binoculars. Not thrilled with how the tripod adapter for the binocs "locks" into place and this being a lightweight tripod combines for a slight wobble sometimes. But for binoculars up to this size the tripod is fine. The legs and head movements are satisfactory.
on August 2, 2014
I purchased this tripod and was surprised at how well it performed. A year later my tripod is still holding my telescope as solidly as it did on day one. I'm impressed. We grab that scope several times a day, swinging it to watch a deer, a passing ship or to see what prices are listed on the local McDonald's windows. The legs haven't collapsed even a mm. in a year. The head piece does require periodic re-tightening, but I've never had a tripod that didn't. When the price of this tripod was recently lowered, I bought one for my daughter and a second one to mount my DSLR on. The current price is amazing!