5.0 out of 5 stars Strong and lightweight best deal for price
I use this to mount my older Hi8 digital camcorder for recording beach volley ball tournements and it holds up well to the strong on shore breeze. This thing is made of alumninum and is very light for its size. Its also strong, I set up a Nikon DSLR and hooked my bookback in the middle of the tripod as counter weight. It was holding at least 15lbs. You can point it in...
Published on July 22, 2009 by cubano

3.0 out of 5 stars Small, but inexpensive
My old trusty Vivatar tripod snapped a rivet at the leg support, rendering that tripod useless. I needed a quick replacement and found this unit at a local retail store, on clearance.

The good:
* Price - for a compact tripod, I couldn't beat the price
* Lightweight
* Carrying bag w/shoulder strap -- must be completely retracted to fit the tripod...
Published on January 20, 2012 by The WB

‹ Previous | 1 2 324 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't Beat It For The Money, March 17, 2010
Mike Foley (Loveland, CO, US) - See all my reviews
I Just received my tripod, and was blown away by the quality, and the price. I have tried to find an affordable FLUID HEAD tripod for my camcorders for several years, and it seems they are harder to find than hen's teeth. After using a typical cheap tripod, with mechanics that are about as smooth as gravel, this tripod with all of it's features, and smooth action, is amazing for the price. I'd recommend it to anyone contemplating it's purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars Busted, March 7, 2011
G. Strimbeck (Trondheim, Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dolica ST-500 68-Inch Lightweight Tripod (Camera)
One of the plastic quick release levers broke off the first time I tried to use the tripod. Returned for full refund. I will never buy another Dolica product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Swivel issues, October 25, 2013
This review is from: Dolica ST-500 68-Inch Lightweight Tripod (Camera)
Swivel is sticky and very jerky when changing directions. I've tried every kind of lubricant I know and still no improvement. The tripod is useless to me in this state.

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective Mounting Plate - Poor Quality Plastic, May 20, 2012
Purchased this tripod at the end of December 2011 with the intention of keeping it at my house as a spare. Today was only the 4th time I used it. After mounting my Nikon on the tripod, I stepped back to take a remote shot. The plastic lever that holds the camera mounting plate in place snapped off and down went my Nikon DSLR onto a wooden floor. The camera luckily survived but the tripod is now useless. I have other Dolica products and have never experienced any problems. Unfortunatley, this model appears to have a poor quality plastic camera mount.

3.0 out of 5 stars Serves it's purpose........, April 6, 2012
This review is from: Dolica ST-500 68-Inch Lightweight Tripod (Camera)
Bought this to hold a pair of Celestron 15x70 binoculars. Not thrilled with how the tripod adapter for the binocs "locks" into place and this being a lightweight tripod combines for a slight wobble sometimes. But for binoculars up to this size the tripod is fine. The legs and head movements are satisfactory.

4.0 out of 5 stars Feels cheap, is cheap; relatively sturdy, December 18, 2011
This review is from: Dolica ST-500 68-Inch Lightweight Tripod (Camera)
This camera looks fine from far away since the aluminum portion of this product is pretty well-done. However, the plastic part isn't molded very well and you can see obvious jagged edges and uneven spots of plastic. I considered the possibility that it was just me getting a used product, but the picture when zoomed in on Newegg shows the very same defects.

Of course, I still give it four stars because for a ~25 dollar product (though I only paid half due to the promotion) if you were expecting much more... well, don't. It is relatively sturdy for the price and does crane up pretty high at 68 inches for shots needing that extra height. The legs are surprisingly solid (but doesn't pull out that smoothly) with a nice metal bar that connects to the center piece to ensure that they're all evenly spaced. Also of interest is that plastic hook, which despite reviews claiming it's ability to hold 15 lbs, looks fragile and resembles a slightly thicker coat hanger. A metal carabiner type of thing would've probably made much more sense, but at this price, I don't think they were going for what was logical.

While the semi-large mounting bracket does inspire some confidence in mounting a heavy DSLR, the tripod as a whole seems like it would top out at 5-6 lbs. Anyhow, if you're just mounting whatever DSLR with a kit lens, you should mostly be fine since I don't think anybody with a multi-thousand dollar set-up would even entertain the possibility of getting this tripod (or at least, I don't think they are). If my case, my GF2 with a small 20mm lens barely goes over a pound so I couldn't be bothered getting a tripod that costs substantially more than this.

Essentially, if you were looking for a cheap, disposable tripod to bring anywhere and one you don't mind throwing around and abusing, this is the one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't give it more than it's due: it's still a $30 tripod, December 28, 2010
Edit: After some dealing with its shortcomings, I found that the problems were unbearable, especially the tight elevation knob and jerky panning. I think that this may be due to a defective unit, so I will not change my review score. Nevertheless, I will be returning this for a refund and buying another tripod.

---Original Review---

I actually give this a 3.5/5, but Amazon doesn't allow half ratings.

I needed a budget tripod to record video with on a DSLR. I bought this because of the glamorous reviews it had gotten. I'm a bit disappointed.

Pluses:
- This thing is huge! Make sure that you don't underestimate its height, because I sure did.
- With all three leg sections unlocked, it's quite stable. I haven't tried it in a hurricane, nor is my setup anywhere close to the max load of eleven pounds, but it's nice.
- It's got a good bit of heft, and it feels solidly built for a budget tripod (good for a no-cost steadicam!).
- It has a handle on it, and it comes with a bag.
- It has TWO bubbles levels, aww yeah!
- It has a counterweight hook, albeit a plastic one
- Tilting (vertical panning) is quite smooth
- It can go into portrait mode with looks steady

Cons:
- It is NOT a "hydraulic fluid" head as the description states, nor did I expect it to be for this price.
- It IS a tension head, and although the vertical tension knob works wonders, the horizontal knob is crap in comparison
- The panning (horizontal) ultimately is smooth, but it starts with a jerk, with seems to be the result of a loose part (maybe just mine?)
- With only two or one extensions extended, it wobbles quite a bit, especially with panning
- Some of the knobs can get quite tight, making it hard to unscrew them, especially the elevator tension knob
- The elevator handle feels quite cheap compared to the rest of the tripod, and doesn't operate very smoothly
- The quick release comes out a bit roughly

All in all though, this is a decent tripod for the price (I got it for $20 with the Amazon Prime trial), and it will serve it's purpose. If I were to do it over, I would probably not buy this tripod again (probably going with a Slik or a Sunpak), but none of the cons are serious enough to warrant a return.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good tripod for the price., September 1, 2010
pdxpro (Oregon, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dolica ST-500 68-Inch Lightweight Tripod (Camera)
Actually bought this from another vendor, but at same price as Amazon.
Bought it for the price, but was very happy with its sturdiness and features.
I owned another inexpensive tripod purchased for the same price and this is vastly superior.
This does not feel like a flimsy, cheap tripod.

One negative for me is that the tilt control lever is on the left side of the tripod head. I'm right-handed and most other tripods have the lever on the right side. I guess I'll adapt to it.

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT FOR DSLR's, October 31, 2012
This review is from: Dolica ST-500 68-Inch Lightweight Tripod (Camera)
I bought this tripod with the intent to use it with my Canon Rebel t2i. It could not handle the weight of the camera with a larger zoom lens attached. The hinge intended for vertical panning could not handle the weight and allowed the camera to fall forward and the lens to hit a leg of the tripod. May be fine for small camera but DO NOT buy for DSLR.

2.0 out of 5 stars Terribly fragile, February 9, 2012
It arrived broken to pieces. The plastic crank to elevate the head was broken in several pieces, and the quick release for the camera platform was busted as well. At first I was going to return it for another one, but upon slowing down enough to inspect the damage, I decided that the head on this tripod would fly to pieces if accidently bumped up against something while packing it around in the case. Even the case was torn, upon arrival. I returned it for a refund and ordered the Davis and Sanford Vista Fusion (which, according to Tiffen.com, has a 10 year guarantee), instead.

‹ Previous | 1 2 324 | Next ›