Dolica WT-1003 67-Inch Lightweight Monopod
Size: WT-1003 67'' LightweightChange
Price:$16.94+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

TOP 500 REVIEWERon March 22, 2012
EVALUATION
This is a full-size monopod---not a gorilla of a monopod, but full-size. Ironically the very same monopod is sold under different brandnames as a "light weight", as a "heavy duty", and as a "professional" monopod---it is NONE of these. Given that it is actually an average weight (at best), light-duty, amateur monopod, it is an excellent design, and a very good value.

The monopod is NOT "professional grade", meaning that it probably will NOT stand up to abuse, and/or constant use, and/or a heavy cameras with a 1000mm lens. Nevertheless a careful pro who occassional uses a monopod for a small to medium-size camera (or is careful to balance larger loads) would probably be very pleased with it. It does everything a monopod should do, and does those things well. It operates quickly and easily, and is very sturdy, proving solid support. Read the 1-star reviews carefully, but take them "with a grain of salt."

IDENTICAL MONOPODS WITH OTHER BRANDNAMES (may be cheaper)
Except for a very slightly different grip, the Dolica is absolutely identical with the Vivitar VIV-VT-67 67-Inch Monopod or the AmazonBasics AmazonBasics 67-Inch Monopod. Except for a green case, the Opteka MP100 67" Professional Heavy Duty Photo / Video Monopod is absolutely identical to the Dolica. Exactly the same monopod is sold under the "Digital Pro" brandname.

VITAL STATISTICS
> Length: 21 ¼" long fully-collapsed; 67" tall fully extended
> Diameter: uppermost section is 1"; foam grip 1 3/8"; strap ferrule 1 ½"
> Weight: 14 oz; case 3 oz; total 17 oz

FEATURES
> Maximum Height: 67", more than tall enough for most purposes.
> Minimum Height: 21", 23--24" with a (virtually required) ballhead/tilt-head is a little tall for some closeup nature subjects.
> Head (camera threads, etc.): The design is odd, with an free-wheeling plastic collar around a small metal stem (and camera threads), the collar is free-wheeling so that it will not scratch the base of your camera--but you still have to rotate the monopod or your camera to screw them together, or apart. (A few confused reviewers thought that they could just turn the collar to attach/detach the camera, and when that didn't work, they thought it was broken. Turning the collar doesn't do anything, that's just the way it is). Reportedly the metal stem breaks off if you put it under alot of strain (such as a heavy camera). Then, because the attached collar is free-wheeling, it is very difficult to remove the stem from your camera. If that happens, I suspect that you could glue the collar to the stem with a little crazy-glue and then easily unscrew it from your camera. The problem is best avoided by simply NOT attaching your camera directly to the monopod. Instead always used a "quick connect", a tilt head, or a ball head (see below).
> Lanyard: adequate for hanging the monopod from a hook, but too weak to rely on for as a walking stick hand strap.
> Grip: Foam rubber, provides good grip and cushion.
> Body: Channels prevent rotation.
> Thumb locks: Operate quickly and smoothly, and lock securely---actually just a tad too easily. I fear that with a little wear, that the locks will slip. Unlike the less convenient "twist to lock" design (used on many other monopods/tripods), you can't just "twist harder"---there is nothing you can do if the lock doesn't hold. Honestly, I am torn about applying a little silicon grease to the locks to minimize wear, and the concern that the grease might encourage slipping. If you get one with tight leg locks, the silicon grease is highly recommended, it will both make the action smoother and protect against wear---lightly apply to the levers where they rub against the monopod column. Permatex 22058 Dielectric Tune-up Grease - 3 oz. Note that unlike petroleum grease, silicon grease does not damage plastic or attract dirt.
> Tip: Metal tip for hard surfaces; plastic tip screws out over metal tip for indoor surfaces. Neither tip can come loose and get lost. The metal tip is not particularly sharp, and the plastic tip is not soft. That is, the metal tip might slip on smooth rocks, and while the plastic tip will protect most indoor surfaces from scratches, it does little to protect your camera from the jarring of impacts (which is VERY bad for cameras). Therefore it is best NOT to leave your camera on your monopod if you use the monopod as a walking stick. A "quick connect" such as Sima Quick Connect for Tripod can be handy.
> Case: Rugged, attractive black nylon, with full-length zipper and an adjustable shoulder strap. Unfortunately the case will not close with a ball head attached. The usual plastic fittings will not rust, but can be broken by abusive use.

AS A TRAVEL MONOPOD
At 21" collapsed the monopod is too large to fit in most airplane carry-on luggage. Airport security will probably confiscate it if found. 17oz is on the heavy side for travel. For travel, I use a very similar Norazza Monopod-lightweight TD140, which collapses to 15 ½" x ¾" diameter, weighs only 7oz, but is too short (52") for birding and some other situations. But see my review for suggestions about extensions.

AS A TRAVEL MONOPOD / WALKING STICK / HIKING POLE
A proper hiking pole needs a substantial strap, so that you do not have to have a death-grip on the grip for hours at a time. The supplied lanyard is totally inadequate for this purpose and cannot be replaced with a more substantial strap. However, if use a ballhead, you can install the ends of a replacement strap beneath the ball head. I have not found replacement straps for sale---but you can make one from a 12" length of 1" black nylon webbing you probably have lying around form old equipment---use a soldering gun to cauterize a ~1/4" hole in the webbing, 1/2" from each end. For travel, when I will be hiking, I use a Stansport Outdoorsman Trekking Pole which has camera threads (and therefore can be used as a monopod), and has a very sharp metal tip for gripping ice or rocks and a very shock absorbing rubber tip for indoor surfaces (but I use the rubber tip outdoors to protect my camera from jarring).

ESSENTIAL ACCESSORY
MANY reviewers report that the head (where your camera screws onto the monopod) can break off attached to your camera, and then can be difficult to remove from your camera. The best insurance against damage to your camera is to use a ball-head or tilt head, which I consider essential anyway (or a "quick connect" see above). For example, Professional Mini Ball Head Camera Mount which is adequate for small to medium-size cameras. Unfortunately the monopod will not fit in the case with the ball-head attached. The silicon grease I mentioned earlier will also make the action of a ball head smoother---usually only a concern shooting video on a tripod, but it's worth knowing. But keep the silicon very far from your lens---it may be very difficult to remove.

BALL HEAD OR TILTHEAD
For video, when you will never take verticals---a tilt head is by far the best solution, the limited motion is more controllable. Manfrotto 234 Monopod Tilt Head (Replaces 3232) But for stills, when you may want to take an occasional vertical, a ball-head is prefered. A compound tripod head offers both options, but requires at least three hands, one to hold the monopod, one (or two) to operate the head, and one for your camera---in contrast, you can hold the monopod and operate a ball-head or tilt-head with one hand.
3131 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 6, 2008
The quality of this monopod is much higher than I though. You can extend to about 6 feet, and its definetely compact, light, inexpensive, and sturdy. The only downside of this product is that the head is not adjustable, but something like that would easily cost two or three times more. If anyone just want a decent monopod that works great for any occassion, this is the one to go. Overall, I have no complains with this product and have to give it 5 stars.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Every once and a while you can find great quality for cheap, this is one of those times. Aside from the great quality of this particular one, I recommend a monopod highly. I can take great shots with this without the bulk of a tripod and I can actually get more interesting angles with less work because it pivots on one point.
on November 10, 2009
The Dolica WT-1003 Monopod is well worth the money. It is sturdy and well constructed and comes with a carrying case. I do recommend you purchase a ball head quick release as an accessory.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 4, 2012
When I accepted a job requiring photography of houses, I was required to obtain a monopod. I am not a professional photographer, and have never used a tripod or a monopod before, so I spent some time researching the various products available on Amazon and other websites. I decided to purchase the Dolica 67-inch Lightweight Monopod based mainly on the great reviews, along with the price.

Since I have never used any of this type of equipment before, I had no idea how to attach my camera, or how to actually use this device. When it arrived, I was more than extremely pleased to see that it is very user-friendly with no fancy "bells and whistles" to figure out.

After I started using it in the field, I became more pleased with how easy it is to use, how light-weight it is, and the quality of the construction. While I am interviewing the homeowner, I can tuck this little monopod (collapsed) under my left arm, and still hold a clipboard and make notes during the conversation, as well as hand the homeowner the necessary paperwork, shake their hand, etc. While I am actually taking the photographs, I can adjust the height according to what I need to photograph, from the foundation to the roof, with the snap of a couple of the clips. I attach my camera to the pole as soon as I get in my car in the morning, and it stays on the pole the entire day, laying on the passenger seat while I am driving and the camera is plugged in to refresh the charge.

I would recommend this monopod to anyone who needs to photograph anything taller than they are and/or to people who need it just for stability of the camera. I use it for both, and could not be happier. It is small and lightweight enough to carry around all day, and adaptable to most conditions. Yes, it would be nice if the head would tilt, but that's not usually an issue. When I need a tilt, I lean it back and forth to get the correct angle.
on February 23, 2010
I purchased this monopod as a lightweight alternative to a Manfrotto monopod that I have owned for the past several years. While not as bulletproof as the Manfrotto, this monopod is well made and much lighter. For this price, you CANNOT go wrong. Note that it does not have a ball head, but for a monopod, you really don't need one, as you can just tilt the whole rig. If you're looking for a monopod, just go ahead and buy this one; you will not be sorry!
on December 29, 2010
Item arrived today in good condition. The product consist of aluminum and and plastic. The foam handle seemed compressed as if a heavy object was pressing on it. No big deal, it will eventually reform itself. The carry case was a great addition. Stitching on the carry bag is single type, but for now it is convenient. One crucial information that you need to know if you are looking for a ball head mount to go with this pod is that the Opteka TH10 ball head mount will not fit this 1/4 size universal mount stud. You will be required to purchase a 3/8 bushing adapter.
on June 30, 2012
Mar 18 edit

I like this monopod but the seller, not so much for now.

Dolica (the maker) is misleading Amazon shoppers. They are now selling a completely separate new model, Dolica WT-1010, which is fine, but they merged the new model into the reputation of the older model to inflate the rating and deceive shoppers. Amazon is also part to blame for trying to make it easy by consolidating similar models of numerous electronics into a single page, which in turn combines reviews too and makes all the more confusion.

Go in your search bar and type Dolica WT 1010 and you will see the newly released monopod has a 4.5 rating from 733 reviews. Except it doesn't. All of those reviews apply for the older model and anyone inclined to buy would believe the new model is highly rated, but it isn't. You claim something, but it isn't so, that's fraud isn't it? You look up Manfrotto monopods and see not even a company like them has to resort to such actions.

Due to this, I am downgrading my rating by one star. If the situation changes or the maker provides a satisfactorily response I can just as easily upgrade to before, but not today.

Jan 23, 2015 edit:
Yep still here. Not much as changed since my last revision. A monopod is pretty self explanatory.

Oh. I fixed the loose and shakey tripod head thing whatever you call it (tripod head on a monopod, what). Turns out, the rubber grip, if you slide it downwards it reveals some screws that hold the head together. There's three holes when I checked there were only two screws so either someone in the PRC short changed me or during my photo laden adventures in the past 2.5 years I lost a screw in a place long forgotten. Probably the latter. Oh well, I'll just buy another if I have to. Or save for a better monopod.

But yeah, slide the grip off, tighten the screws, and now the head shouldn't be shaking anymore. For now.

March 25, 2014 edit:

I'd had this for just under two years. After being thrown around, hung from a belt (looks like a baton, agagaga) and now carried in a shotgun scabbard, it has some wear.

The first arm locking mechanism, the inside plastic thing whatever it is, is partially damaged. It can still lock fine but the action isn't smooth anymore.

The monopod head is now slightly loose. Though it can still stabilize a DSLR true to its original intention as I bought it a year or two ago, it's time for me to start thinking of a more pricy replacement.

Nonetheless, at the time it was a proper choice to buy this monopod and for holding audio devices, it will continue to serve well, as it did for the events I've been to that required one.

---

I'm an aspiring filmmaker in Central Florida.

My DSLR's onboard audio is a terrible 11,000 Hz and does not support inputs of any kind. So I have an external digital recorder that solves that. I also have a tripod, but that's a bit too awkward to hold horizontally. It also makes noise that gets picked up to the recorder because the legs can never be locked fully, no matter the position. Now I needed a way to hold it in the air above actors reading dialogue. It's not quite a professional boom microphone but I imagine anyone who ever purchased a DSLR and one extra lens knows what a budget looks like.

So, I purchased the monopod. Pretty simple to use. And light. Light enough I would not use it as a walking stick but it can handle my DSLR fine. I haven't tried a prosumer camcorder though and considering the prices on those, maybe shouldn't use a monopod on that equipment.

Anyways, it works. There's no rattling or anything on this stick. Only thing that can make noise is the lanyard strap on the head, but I could easily remove it since I don't plan on using it. Otherwise, even when held at a 45 degree angle this stick is stable.

I guess now I have to make sure whoever operates doesn't move their fingers too much so it doesn't get picked up by the DR or check that the preview headphone wires don't bump around the monopod. Still though, if needed, I'd buy another. The price isn't too bad either, at least it wasn't when I paid $14.61 for it. And I'm a shaky hands person so $14.61 for more stable pictures isn't a bad deal, especially with other ones costing $30 around here.
review image review image
on January 2, 2013
At first I was skeptic about ordering a monopod rather than a tripod. However, I am pleased with it. It holds my camera nicely and is very sturdy. Feels to me as though it will last a while. A nice addition to this item may be a ball head camera mount which would make it easier to move the camera around. All in all, this product is what I expected and is, for its price, very nice. I would definitely recommend it to anyone wanting a monopod.
review image review image review image
on December 27, 2010
portability is the key issue to consider when purchasing monopod(at least for me). This one is quite light and extremely affordable (I bought it when there is a 25% off and the total is around $10, hard to beat a 67 inch monopod new for 10!) It is solid, looks nice, the leg doesn't wobble when fully extended.

The only complaint I have is you have to buy a panhead to use it to its full potential (the way to use monopod is: combine your two legs and the monopod to form a tripod--this requires a little tilt to the head), this one only came with a screw and a disk--which means you can rotate but not tilt. Anyway, cannot ask for too much for the price I paid.