4.0 out of 5 stars A little less than expected, but a great book
Won Park has some amazing origami models, I've been following his work for some time. There are a couple models beginners should be able to work through, but most of the designs are geared towards experienced folders. Either way, the included practice currency is a fantastic addition--no more trekking to the bank in search of fresh $1 bills before you begin...
Published on December 6, 2011 by Trevor Mead

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for beginners
Published on January 17, 2012 by Vae Victus

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A little less than expected, but a great book, December 6, 2011
Won Park has some amazing origami models, I've been following his work for some time. There are a couple models beginners should be able to work through, but most of the designs are geared towards experienced folders. Either way, the included practice currency is a fantastic addition--no more trekking to the bank in search of fresh $1 bills before you begin!

One thing that has to be called out: This book has TEN (10) models, not 15, as Amazon is showing. Look closely at the cover to confirm. The models are: Double crane, crab, camera, butterfly, frog, penguin, eagle, shark, scorpion, and koi fish.

The diagrams and written instructions are some of the clearest I've seen in an instructional book; eager, patient beginners will be thrilled.

Would I recommend the book? Absolutely. This is great as a gift, or a great addition for an enthusiast's collection. If you've been longing to see more of Won's unique designs, you might be a little disappointed, but great content overall.

And Amazon, for crying out loud, please fix the title!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for beginners, January 17, 2012
Vae Victus (IL United States) - See all my reviews
I admit I bought the book for the koi fish pattern. The book comes in a cute little package with some larger-than-normal "dollar bill" paper and a prefolded model (butterfly). Many of the patterns use tessellation, and I mean itty bitty tiny folds, so it could be difficult for beginners. For example, the koi pattern has 17 parallel folds over four-fifths of the paper. Very small folds.

The book also suggests something akin to wet folding to accomplish the "sharper" folds (appendages, mostly). For more on wet folding, see Rick Beech's Handbook of Origami, and for more on tessellation, see Eric Gjerde's Origami Tessellations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Awesome, December 17, 2011
I pre-ordered this book a long time back but it was worth the wait. Won Park is by far the best creative dollar bill folder in the World in my opinion. I was totally surprised to find that the kit came with a completed model of the butterfly(displayed in a cool little window) that is one of the models in the book, what a great package beautifully designed . I am also glad that the instruction book is Spiral Bound so that it does not come apert like some of my other origami books. The models are definitely not for begginers but very clear and precise. The price is totally fair for all that is included. I agree with the other person who reviewed the kit...there is only 10 models not 15 but still worth the money. I hope that Won Park sues the idiot on E-bay that is selling his copyrighted models (what a loser), bootlegging Won Parks killer Origami designs. I will continue to support Won in all his work because he is an Origami Master. AAA+++. Please Won...make a DVD to make the models even more clear on details.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good for a beginner., December 3, 2012
The easiest project was a butterfly, and neither myself nor my daughter could even come close to what was pictured.

The how to at the beginning didn't really explain how to make the folds and I was basically in the dark. I wouldn't mind the book if 1/2 were easy and progressively got more difficult to the point to where I couldn't do it... but it was all difficult.

I wound up returning the book to Costco.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully presented, high quality production, June 2, 2012
When I received this Dollar Origami projects book from the estimable Won Park, I was prepared for a rewarding challenge. I did not, however, expect the level of quality I received: it's beautiful. The book can lie flat during reading. Owning dozens of origami books, I can assure you that this places it in the serious minority, and garners it a spot on my most-prized shelf.

There are numerous practice "dollar bills" included. I would rate the paper quality of these as average.. you will definitely get a good feel for building the models presented if you use the bills.

NB: several of these models are not for the novice. I started with the koi and it worked perfectly, though I suspect that many will stumble along the way. Give yourself a boost with good tools: a quality set of tweezers, eg. Wiha, and methylcellulose (BEFORE starting to fold!) will help.

Park's thoughtful inclusion of one folded butterfly elicited an unbidden smile.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real treasure, February 16, 2012
I have admired Won Park's money folds since the first time I saw them at an Origami USA convention exhibit a few years ago. I was thrilled to get this book, and have not been at all disappointed. Unlike some of the other reviewers, I have had no particular problem following the instructions so far (having done about half of the models in the book, including some of the most complex). However, this book is definitely aimed at advanced folders, and you should approach this book armed with lots of patience (and a pair of tweezers, as the author recommends).

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not called "extreme" for nothing., September 29, 2012
First and foremost, for me to understand any origami diagram, you gotta have some pretty nice photos or something to grab my interests. I'm not an architect so I'm all set with trying to read dead blueprints. That said, this book is pretty! The cover and the 20 finished models are all cool color photos.

I can't fathom the difficulty in trying to produce instructions for minute finishing details on advanced models so that everyone can understand. I didn't expect the book to have presented every step to cater to me, but instead having good reference points that I could use to perhaps discuss with friends or compare with Youtube vids. (I got to step 35 of 63 of the koi fish and met with the origami folder's wall of impassability, lol). It has done a good job at documenting some very advanced models.

Looks like Won Park teamed up with the dynamic duo over at the Origamido Studio to actually get paid for his work. Good job!

2.0 out of 5 stars Too small for the Kindle Fire; Not compatible with Kindle for PC, July 26, 2013
I was excited to see Won Park's book in ebook format for Kindle, but the excitement didn't last very long as when I viewed the book on my Kindle Fire (6") the formatting didn't allow me to get a close enough look at the directions/diagrams, and there is no zoom feature.
So I tried to download it to my Kindle for PC, and received the message that it was not compatible for download. Amazing indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Dollar Origami Book!, June 2, 2012
"Dollar origami" shows the reader how much more a dollar is worth. It shows that a dollar bill is an awesome medium for creativity . It features unique and difficult designs of wonderful dollar origami creations. It has very detailed artwork such as a scorpion with 50 steps, which I was able to follow without problems. Won Park's most intricate design would be the koi that has 63 steps showing a beautiful pattern of scales. It's my dream to be able to make it in the near future. I highly recommend this book for only the experienced in dollar origami, because this book has origami creations with up to 63 steps and very hard folds that might get a beginner very frustrated. I hope you enjoy this book and happy folding!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Youtube video help, May 11, 2012
Rodney (Massillon, Oho) - See all my reviews
thebigbluevan has created some videos on specific steps of some of the models. For example, the scorpion 16-22 and 35-40.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›