5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing product that is so simple and yet, so beautiful
Published on January 10, 2006 by The Ersatz Economist

3.0 out of 5 stars Good as a guide
This is a good tool for a guide but does not assist me the way I had hoped. I will have to expand the ideas on the pages present.
Published 19 months ago by R. Coward

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing product that is so simple and yet, so beautiful, January 10, 2006
For a long time, I have been trying to get my spending under control. Everytime I began, I felt like I was inventing the wheel, for I did not know how many categories of spending to track, nor what I was going to track them with. I didn't feel like purchasing a computer program that may crash and really wouldn't help that much, but trying to create a budget shee from scratch proved daunting. One day, while shopping at Office Depot, I found this book, and I will forever be thankful.

The accounting book already has categories and is arranged for easy entry of daily expenses. Using the categories given, and one extra for Credit Cards, my wife and I have created a wonderful budgeting system. We cebelebrate days when there are no entries, and we are amazed at how quickly savings can increase once the money is being tracked. I recommend this book for everyone who is striving to get their finances in order. Don't buy another how-to book on budgeting, buy this book which is an essential, invaluable tool for following through on your goal. And for about $5, it is an incredible deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good planner, February 24, 2005
This is a really good home budget planner. Besides space to record monthly expenses and totals, there is pages of tax information (ten most common omissions on tax returns, comparison of what the average deductions are for income ranges, education tax incentives, how childs income is taxed etc),a page on 20 ways to save on your food bill, pages to record yearly tax deductions (medical, interest, child care, etc), and two pockets for you to keep you reciepts, etc.

I have been using this book for 5 years and haven't found a better budget book than this one. If you really want to know where you money is going and how to save money, this is the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally something that works, July 9, 2009
This review is from: Dome(R) Simplified Home Budget Book, 7 1/2in. x 10 1/2in., Teal (Office Product)
I've looked at tons of different budget books and the Dome is the one I chose. For me the stark layout was a bit too much so I highlighted the weeks in different colors. I don't need all the categories for different utilities because mine are bundled with my rent. I just used white out and wrote my own category in for things like online shopping, post office fees and eating out. I also use a red pen for all my credit card purchases and then pay off the card at the end off the week so I never carry a balance. I set a monthly budget and then break it down by the week. I put the starting amount at the top and then add up how much I spent and write if I'm over or under. If I'm over, I subtract the amount I'm over from the rest of the weeks. If I'm under I put the extra money in savings. I also use the space between the week boxes at the top to show how much money I have left in the monthly budget. At the bottom of the page I also keep track of how much money I currently have in my checking account.
I keep the budget and control the money in our family but my husband earns the money so it makes us both feel better about our money when we can see at a glance how much is being spent and where it is going.
Setting up a budget is not easy or fast but it is absolutely worth the time. Keep a budget that works for you that way you will use it. I will be taking a couple of these Dome home budget books with me when I move back overseas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy item, but if the publisher reads this review, please..., January 22, 2008
If you want a home budget book, I recommend this one highly. My only complaint is that it doesn't have enough choices. The utilities are lumped together and there isn't an entry for all of them, such as "cable". I could have used a couple of more blank columns for our individualized expenses, such as internet and cell phones. I chose to cross out some of the ones I used less such as "household expense" and "loans" to use for other items I need to keep track of.

For the price, though, it can't be beat and makes book keeping for the math challenged (that would be moi) much, much easier.

5.0 out of 5 stars It makes budgeting easier!, December 23, 2006
patstrec (middle america) - See all my reviews
We have used this budget book for over 30 years. I can track spending, save, and anticipate future expenditures. We never made much money but have been able to save and retire with sufficient income to travel and enjoy life. I think this method made our finances easier.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for budgeting, not accounting, July 24, 2013
This book is an excellent way to work a personal budget system. I was quite impressed with the system it uses, which I had never seen before.

However, if you want to use it as an accounting book, you might want to try something else. There is no place to put your current cash balances if any cash left over from the previous month. It looks like it is assumed that you will spend all the money you earn in a month. Also, there is no place to put descriptions for the purchases. These both can be remedied with a spare checkbook, which you could use to write descriptions and cash balances, but then you have to use two different books.

So, in summary, this book is a good tool for budgeting, but there a couple of key components missing to have a complete money management system (at least in my opinion), namely a place to put your current cash balance and write descriptions for transactions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learning how to do budgeting "long-hand", April 30, 2012
A.S. (Central PA) - See all my reviews
I bought this because I had no clue how to budget properly. Everything I found was all "digital" that's great but if you don't have the concepts all the digital cool features don't help. IMHO it's like only learning to to division using an excel spreadsheet.

This book breaks it down and forces you to write what you spend, manually add and track. It takes me about 3 minutes a day, about as long as to check my bank account via smart phone. Every couple of days I reconcile it with my online bank account (hey I'm not that against electronic), and I am finally tracking what I spend! And I am able to reconcile with bank account and actually kind-of stick to a budget.

Only critique is that it doesn't seem to have an annual roll-up sheet where you can track the sums of each month. Would be nice to know how much annually I spend in each category at a glance

PS write in pencil :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good home budget planner, December 17, 2011
I bought this budget book to help my husband and I actually track where are money was going. Instead of just writing down amounts in a category this book gives you both a category and a day to write the actual amounts in. So if we eat out say several times a month we write the amounts in the category and then with the corresponding day. It gives me a quick glance ability to see how often we are actually eating out, or how often we buy gas, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful guide, August 24, 2011
This budget book is easy to use and understand. The tips on taxes section is simply written, even for clueless people like me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good as a guide, December 7, 2012