Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on October 22, 2007
I bought this book for the mohawk hat and as I type this, I've gotten about 1/4 of the way done and already want to make up my own pattern. The pattern is convoluted and hard to visualize even for me - I pity the poor beginner who tries this one. I will give the book credit for a creative theme and good basic references in the beginning, you can never have too many knitting reference books. Get this one used.
on July 16, 2010
I was really excited about the patterns but when I finally started knitting the sweater I found the instructions to be confusing and riddled with mistakes. How can a publisher put a book out with so many mistakes. I am 2/3 done with a sweater and now realize there was a mistake over 80 rows back. Went on the website to find a whole page full of corrections! This is horrendous.
on February 7, 2007
DOMIKNITRIX: WHIP YOUR KNITTING INTO SHAPE doesn't hold your usual saccharine vests and sweaters: it's a contemporary guide for the modern knitter who wants to produce something as original as a 'skull vest' or a 'widow's peak' hair piece for a Mohawk haircut, and as such will uniquely appeal to the younger generation with fresh, contemporary ideas for knitting. Step-by-step directions allow newcomers to move easily from the beginner to the advanced knitter level and offer a range of projects not to be found - even remotely - in any similar knitting guide - and there's lots on the market, so this is saying much. Any public library appealing to younger needlework artists will want this.

Diane C. Donovan

California Bookwatch
on January 31, 2007
I've been knitting for about six years now, but, admitedly, there are many technical knitting things I can't do (proper increases, proper stitching) and learning it from other books seemed too... home-spun and grandma-ish. This book is AMAZING. Not only does it show you many different techniques, the projects are things I actually want to create.

Warning: this is not a book for beginners. It will not be a good place to start if you want to learn how to knit.

If you are a girl looking for a knitting book that goes beyond the mainstream, look no further. This is the best of the best indie-knitting books out there.
VINE VOICEon January 27, 2007
My New Year's resolution for 2006 was to finally learn how to knit after years of being haunted by my aunt's extraordinary skills. My cousin & I attended a class whose instructor, Scary-Mary, was a "knit-nazi", it was her way or the highway & we were all scared. Thanks to sheer tenacity & several rough nights of "stress knitting" in my sleep I stuck it out & did learn the basics to knitting.

However if I was going to continue finding any enjoyment in life I took a pass on furthering my skills with Scary-Mary in her intermediate knitting class and went to the book shelves for help. Thanks to the likes of Debbie Stoller & her "Stich & Bitch" books I was able to relax and gain some confidence and enjoyment in my knitting.

I recently came across Jennifer Stafford's book while looking for new patterns that break away from conventional standards. I not only found what I was looking for but I love reading her book! The tone is conversational in explaining the technicalities of knitting so my mind didn't wander. Since she had my complete attention I am actually getting the hang of advanced techniques (mirrored decreases, shaping, lace, working with color, DPN's, etc.)which I previously wrote off as too advanced for my blood.

Stafford's message is that anything worth doing is worth doing well and by using an S&M theme for her book the tone is serious and may appear intimidating. Don't be put off, Stafford is merely thourough in her explanations but no "knit-nazi". This book is designed to encourage confidence and inspire creativity!
on March 26, 2011
This was the third knitting book I brought. Although it goes over the the basics of knitting in depth with fantastic color illustrations, this book's patterns are not for someone afraid to make mistakes. The patterns are very unique and far from the first "boyfriend" sweater and garter scarf that most books push as early projects.

The patterns instructions are clear and easy to follow. She spends some time covering the basic techniques so that you have the start to making something fab.
on September 13, 2010
This book is knitting Bootcamp.
I am pretty new at knitting.. So, I started with the novice projects like the tube scarf.
It made me pretty angry and frustrated at how complicated it was for being my first project from her book. But, ill be damned if I ever forget that Kitchener stitch!
If you are new, her picture tutorials and duologue can be very confusing. After I gave up on 40% of the "basics" tutorials in the book and checked youtube for example: a Kitchener stitch, I was off and ... speed walking... I would not say running because even though i learned a technique on the internet it does not mean it made it a lot easier. Because, for another example... the tube scarf has "two sides"... so, I had to kitchener stitch one side like normal. THEN I was forced to mirrior myself to do the otherside, and that is not really explained on youtube...
So, the projects are a mix of mental and hand/eye gymnastics.
Despite how i was mad and frustrated at times, I am actually kinda glad I drove myself into this baptism of fire. I enjoy the feeling of accomplishment of what I was challenged to do, and my tube scarf looks GREAT.
I am a little scared to start another one, but, the masochist in me wants more of her unique (if not some are a bit goofy), and edgy patterns...
I will say, the finished project is worth the challenge.
If you think you have the stamina for a challenge give it a try. :)
on April 30, 2010
I bought the book through Amazon, thinking it would be fantastic. I was sorely disappointed.

The good:
Some of the patterns, are cute (I do like the snow bunny hat, Jughead's hat (Hey, as a girl I will wear it!) and if you think it's cute, maybe the valentine heart, but taking the time to make the pillow only to go AFTER to add the words to it, boring (I have intarsia'd the words, and that's fun)

The bad:
After making the Lil Red Riding Hoodie TWICE, I'm giving up the ghost. Not only do I have to modify it for... ahem, being female (the largest size is still too small for my chest), but when working on the sleeves, I followed the directions, and ended up with sleeves longer than my arms. (I actually did follow the instructions, and was cracking up laughing so hard. Cried when I pulled the yarn back, though). I understand the patterns are meant to be tight fitting, and should skim the body, however, not everyone thinks a 43" bust is extra-large. (maybe it's just Canadian's that don't?). Before you ask.. yes, I do swatch, I'm weird, I LIKE to swatch, it gives me something to do that is small enough for a bus ride.
There is also the typical boring pillows, felted (what's up with felting, really?) flower and the lame small/kid/young teen figured clothes.

Conclusion is this, get it from your library, take a gander at it, and bring it back when you are done, don't bother buying it, it's not worth the price. I regrettably am going to leave this book in the dustbin and hope that I have learned my lesson, "Not everything with a beautiful depicted title and stunning pictures is worth it's weight in Shipping costs..." lol. The artist and writer should be applauded for attempting this endeavor (Go, Jennifer Stafford!), however, maybe next time, keep the idea as something for LYS, not for the general public.
on January 6, 2012
My son is into goth-style knitting and crochet, and clothing design, but there aren't many books with goth-themed items. So, I took a chance and ordered this book. It has some very clever and attractive designs that fit the bill, but aren't too outlandish to actually wear. And there are clear and concise instructions, and even a section that explains some of the intricacies of knitting like weaving pieces together. Overall a extremely good knitting book.
on September 19, 2011
This is an amazing knitting book- I've been knitting for almost a year now, and I've got most of the basics down, and I can even do some pretty advanced stuff (I'm never one to back away from a challenge), but having the guides to various methods of casting-on and such were really helpful. I'm working on a sweater right now, and although I'll have to make it a little roomier in the bust, I love the patterns, and the author even encourages you to experiment with yarn texture and color (I'm using a wool/llama blend instead of 100% wool, for instance).