5.0 out of 5 stars delicious eye candy

Kelly Wearstler's sleek design is truly inspirational,

but this new book takes you to places one can only dream of-

bold, dramatic, luxurious, and exotic is the only way to

describe her ever evolving style. At first I was a little shocked

because it wasn't the glamourous 3 color minimalism I...
Published on March 10, 2006 by Richard J. Trattner

2.0 out of 5 stars Sooooooooooo disappointing!
Published on June 16, 2006 by DSB

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Sooooooooooo disappointing!, June 16, 2006
This review is from: Domicilium Decoratus (Hardcover)
I first became aware of Kelly Wearstler by reading a few articles in decorating magazines. When her first book came out, I recognized her name immediately when I saw the book in the bookstore (which is amazing because I can't even remember what brand of toothpaste I buy at the grocery store). I really enjoyed her first book, and I continue to look through it for ideas/inspiration, but I found this book to be very disappointing. If I had looked at this book before ordering it from Amazon, I would have saved my money. This book covers the range from OK to hilarious. After reading the section called the "Boys' Vestibule," I didn't know whether to laugh because it is so ridiculous or to cry for those little boys that have to live in that house. The pictures of Ms. Wearstler in all the evening gowns were nice, but what do they have to do with interior design? Two other things passed through my mind as I "read" the book(except for titles there is no text): first, how long does it take to dust all the clutter in that house, and second, her hips must only be about 30 inches. She may look good in huge ballgowns, but I don't think a bikini would be so flattering to those bony hips. Now, you know that if that's what I'm thinking about as I look at the book, there is something very wrong with this decorating book. Borrow it from the library.

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh puhleeze, May 30, 2006
This review is from: Domicilium Decoratus (Hardcover)
What exactly is it that Ms Wearstler does? This book is filled with "glam" pictures of recycled design ideas by Billy Haines,Dorothy Draper and Billy Baldwin,mostly of the "Hollywood Regency" style. Ms Wearstler,whose home it is, appears in the photos dressed to the nines and seems to want us to think that she dreamed up this nifty new look.

Take a look at the new Billy Haines book and the just released book on Dorothy Draper and you'll see real designers at work AND whose work and style this really is.

1.0 out of 5 stars Kelly Wearstler's Domicilium Decoratus, August 7, 2006
This review is from: Domicilium Decoratus (Hardcover)
I really enjoyed Kelly Wearstler's Modern Glamour, but found this book to be disappointing. There's no text, only seemingly self-serving photographs of her and her gowns in her over-designed house. The only thought I had while flipping through the pages was how difficult it must be to keep it dusted! I would have been much more satisfied were there some explanations as to how she might have come to some of her design conclusions, because to me it all seems cluttered and complicated, and somewhat random. I guess that's part of the appeal, but I expected more text and fewer images of the woman herself. One quick flip through this one is enough - borrow it from the library.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stylish Mess, April 29, 2006
This review is from: Domicilium Decoratus (Hardcover)
If you like pretty pictures, this might be a book for you. If you want a "How To .." book, save your money and just follow the author's own rules for decorating. Step One: Marry rich. Step Two: Buy an interesting house already furnished. Step Three: Add any other interesting furnishings you can find and not worry about whether it "goes" or not. Step Four: Hire a publicist, great photographer and stylist. If you follow these steps, you can be just like Kelly Wearstler!

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Decorating Style, A Bit Too Much Going On, October 7, 2006
This review is from: Domicilium Decoratus (Hardcover)
Kelly Wearstler is one of these trendy designers whose appeal I don't completely understand. I really do like the 'Hollywood Regency' style she has had a hand in reviving, but I can't help but feel most everything she does is too busy & over-decorated with a vague 1970s aesthetic, & her rooms tend to appear staged, a bit static & decidedly unwelcoming. However, I do enjoy looking at this book because the photos are excellent & there is just SO much to look at. The house featured in this book is beautifully designed proportion-wise but as with most of Wearstler's work, there is too much going on with the decor in every room-too much contrast, way too many gaudy accessories & tabletop bric-a-brac, too much orange & more than enough Asian statues packed into one house that I would imagine it's not very comfortable to live in.

For example: if I had to pick a favorite room in this book it would be the master suite with mirror-matched green onyx slab walls, just because I happen to like onyx & I think it's pretty innovative to use marble walls in a bedroom, especially the way she has done it...but would I want cold, hard onyx walls in my bedroom? No probably not..Is it interesting to see someone else do it?..Absolutely. In fact my favorite designs by Kelly Wearstler are her bathrooms because she does excel in designing with tile & natural stone & also tends to tone down the accessory factor in her baths. Otherwise, what I have seen of her work in this book & "Modern Glamor" as well as in magazines, is almost always so jarring that I feel anxious just looking at the photos so I would think actually seeing these rooms in person would be downright unnereving.

Finally, the staged scenes of Wearstler "hanging out" around the house in floor-length couture gowns & updone hair (pruning her trees, "frolicking" with her children, reading in bed) seem somewhat contrived-1 or 2 photos of her in the gowns would have been more than sufficient.

2.0 out of 5 stars I am not so sure, July 3, 2006
Jennifer Morris (NY, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Domicilium Decoratus (Hardcover)
I like to appreciate one's art and give everyone the benefit of the doubt. Although Wearstler has the creative team to package her, her talent leaves me feeling short changed.

If you have seen one Wearstler design, you have seen them all. Her style is the same regurgitated interpretation of the last. However, I will say that her "Beverly Hills Estate" is probably the best work I have seen of hers.

This book is a little over the top. I am a fan of Beverly Hills, I am from Beverly Hills, but you will not find a Beverly Hills woman or any other woman for that matter doing domestic chores in couture gowns.

I think it is interesting that most of her projects, even the ones featured in Modern Glamour, are her own residences or hotels. I believe she lived in the Hillcrest/Trousdale Estate, Hollywood Compound and she even acknowledges the Hancock Park/Sycamore Street apartment.

Thank goodness for Brad...he is the one who purchases the hotels.

Even BG, the Bergdorf Goodman restaurant in NY, leaves me feeling uninspired.

Kudos to the ones behind the scenes - hotelier husband, decorator/designer mother, stylist, publicist and writer.

Kelly's contributions to that of a tastemaker are not up to par with her predecessors.

But you do have to give her credit for believing in herself.

5.0 out of 5 stars delicious eye candy, March 10, 2006
I loved modern glamour.

Kelly Wearstler's sleek design is truly inspirational,

but this new book takes you to places one can only dream of-

bold, dramatic, luxurious, and exotic is the only way to

describe her ever evolving style. At first I was a little shocked

because it wasn't the glamourous 3 color minimalism I was expecting,- but after studying the pages over and over for the past few weeks I see how brilliant she truly is, and why she is one of the most progressive, sought after designers today.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointed, February 11, 2007
Sue Wilson (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Domicilium Decoratus (Hardcover)
I wish I had have taken notice of the other reviews. I loved Kelly's first book and found it very useful, however this book is entirely over-rated and I'm so pleased I didn't pay full price for it. There is absolutely no text in the book - just pictures from Kelly's house showcasing her furniture and herself and none of them look at all practical for everyday living. Save your money for the many other fantastic books on offer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring Details, May 20, 2007
This review is from: Domicilium Decoratus (Hardcover)
As a practicing, professional Interior Designer I have to say I found Domicilium Decoratus inspiring. Being exposed to all types of design, I love it when I am actually left remembering a house...and this one is hard to forget. Although Kelly's style is not my particular taste, the house is full of beautiful color combinations, architectural details, and antiques. I would have to compare this book to looking at a Picasso--you either get it or you don't. If you are looking for a how to book, this is not the book for you. There is no text like in her first book--Your eyes have to do all the work spotting the curious, imaginative details. This is a living art book. If you want to view some images of her home before you buy the book go to her website and Hillcrest estate is under her residential projects.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!!!!!!!!!, March 4, 2006
As a Designer myself whose work has been featured on HGTV and in publications (although my style is different from Kelly's) I HIGHLY recommend this book to anybody interested in design because not only is it exceptionally beautiful, I think Kelly will go down in history as one of the greatest for her "Out of the Box" creativity! She is truly an artist and we can all learn from and appreciate her amazing sense of style! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Domicilium Decoratus
Domicilium Decoratus by Kelly Wearstler (Hardcover - April 11, 2006)
$39.95 $29.14