5.0 out of 5 stars An exceptional read and perhaps the future of Sci-Fi?
Published on December 8, 2009 by Phil73805

3.0 out of 5 stars A fun ride for Military Sci-Fi fans...
Published on December 26, 2009 by Jason Cooper

3.0 out of 5 stars A fun ride for Military Sci-Fi fans..., December 26, 2009
Jason Cooper (Denham Springs, LA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dominant Species (Kindle Edition)
As a self-professed "journeyman" of military sci-fi (in other words, I'm no expert, but I've really enjoyed books like ARMOR by Steakly, OLD MAN'S WAR by Scalzi, THE FOREVER WAR by Haldeman, and to some lesser degree STARSHIP TROOPERS, FIRST STRIKE, and a few of the David Drake novels) I think I could recommend this book. I absolutely LOVED the cool technology described by Marks. Marks gets an A+ for his cool technology ideas. He made me want a suit of this armor the way I've always wanted a lightsaber. The "centerpiece" of the novel is really the armor worn by these Marines. Marks does an excellent job of detailing the capabilities of the weapons without making it a drudgery to read. The characters were a bit too cliche'for my taste: the war-frazzled, alpha-male leader, the menacing side-kick appropriately named Monster, the tough-as-nails sniper chick, we've seen many of these characters before. However, Marks writes them well. A few of the plot points were a bit too convenient for me, but that's making it sound like I didn't enjoy the book. Actually, I did. If you enjoy your sci-fi in equal parts of cool tech and ass-kickery, get this book. You'll like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars An exceptional read and perhaps the future of Sci-Fi?, December 8, 2009
This review is from: Dominant Species (Kindle Edition)
Michael Marks has given us a remarkably well crafted novel. While the genre is military sci-fi, famed more for action than well developed personalities, the characters display a great deal of depth that really brings them to life. His action sequences put you front and centre, so much so that you are tempted to duck when the bullets start flying. Many argue that sci fi as a printed genre is dying, this book points to a metamorphosis of the genre, a revitalisation that seems to have skipped the cumbersome publishing houses and gone straight to the reader via ebook. In a world where science fiction is fast becoming science fact Mr. Marks has embraced that reality and woven those very soon-to-be technologies into the core of his narrative in a way that recalls the sense of wonder felt at the possibilities explored in early science fiction.

My only criticism is that the formatting has produced some annoying errors in the text that need to be cleared up. For example the frequent replacement of a ' with a ô occurs throughout.

In summary, a great read that gives me hope for the future of the genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars An exciting, fast-paced page-turner!, October 16, 2009
SR (Colorado) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dominant Species (Kindle Edition)
Dominant Species is an action-packed sci-fi story that kept me wanting to turn every page. The action starts immediately and the tension remains high throughout. Although sci-fi often pushed the envelope on the perceptions of reality, this story felt true-to-life and the characters seemed more dimensional than many of the cardboard cutouts common in this genre.

I felt that there was a nice balance struck between the future weaponry and armor enhancing the Marines performance and capabilities without making them invulnerable. Ammunitions, power, and spare parts all become precious commodities, and the Marines themselves take a significant beating. Survival takes an all-important front seat while a mystery needs to be unraveled in order to get the team home.

I thouroughly enjoyed this book and hope to see more from this author in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty darn good for $2.00, June 17, 2010
Grant Stephenson "Grant" (Ames, IA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dominant Species (Kindle Edition)
I was pretty surprised - I paid $2.00 for this book on the Kindle edition and ended up with a novel that was much better than books I've paid $20-$25 for in hardcover.

Not once was I ever bored, and I thought the story was pretty cool actually. If there's a sequel I'd buy it.

3.0 out of 5 stars An Entertaining Read, April 5, 2011
CADiver (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dominant Species (Kindle Edition)
I get the negative reviews written by others on this book - I really do.

However, if you are like me then you'll enjoy this book. I read purely for entertainment purposes - I don't critique the books I read in any literary fashion. For me, if I'm drawn into the story and connect with the characters, and if I don't even remember the words but, instead, have images of the scenes, characters and scenarios in my mind, then its a good book in my opinion - something that takes me away into the story.

There wasn't anything spectacular about this story but the characters were developed well, in fact, the whole team was developed well and their interactions were solid with enough humor thrown in to keep the characters real. The story is action-packed and has enough twists that kept me reading into the next chapter, although it may have been WAY past my bed time. There were some parts that I didn't connect with so much, such as the 3D football game that is a drop back for where two of the team members originally met. That all the team members survived against all odds also left my connection with the story a little frayed. And although the ending did wrap up the story, it felt like it was just thrown in at the end (it was, in fact, the epilogue) without much more story surrounding the events that unfolded over the centuries. It would have been nice to have focused some more pages to what happened; how it happened and why it happened. For instance, why did they need guardians? Why didn't they all stay in cryostasis? What were the guardians protecting the cryotubed people from? Why did they think the "consolidation" process would make them live forever (and who told them that ... as the narrator clearly states that they were TOLD this)? Why does a second treatment lead to the 'improvisation' of the nanobugs? Lots of questions and no answers.

The fact that I have so many questions about the story means that I, obviously, found the concept interesting ... so that's a good thing! And, as is my goal when I read, I found the book very entertaining. Its a good read for when you have the time - not the best, but a good read. I would recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars good read, February 13, 2010
This review is from: Dominant Species (Kindle Edition)
The only problem I have with this book is that there is too much action. If you like a lot of fighting and action, this is defiantly the book for you. The characters were wonderfully written. I love how I felt like I was really there or watching a movie. The writer was perfectly descriptive without boring you with all the details. I live on a marine base and the camaraderie that the marines share, in this book, feel real. The ending I had already figured out-(but I have yet to read something where I can't tell you about the ending with in the first couple of chapters). His book has a lot of what I love in sci-fi: you have a believable future, technology that doesn't feel to far fetched and that is man made and there for breaks down or has to be recharged, and a group of characters that you want to see succeed. You even have that space shipy kind of feel. I know, space shipy is not really eloquent, but it's something that I find missing from some sci-fi that I feel is essential for you to feel there. You can almost hear the hum of the equipment... The story is very cool. I am a girl and would have like to see a little less action and fighting, but not a lot less. Other than the "fighting" I loved it! I really loved the lisp the (without giving to much info) guy in orange got. I hope the author reads this review because I would like to buy more of his writings just from reading this book, so to the artist: Keep up the good work! To e-book readers: Feel free to buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great first(?) Outing, July 12, 2010
This review is from: Dominant Species (Kindle Edition)
I will begin by saying that I really liked this book. I enjoyed the characters, the tech, the environment, and the writing style. At the price point, the book is a bargain - I'm not sure what it would be in print, but at the end I felt I'd read a really good novel at a bargain price.

Outside a few issues (and my own pet peeve of consistently incorrect use of "it's" where "its" is needed) - pretty much all of which would have been caught by a good editor (and I mean the reading and writing critique kind, not the software kind!) this is a really enjoyable read. You like action? There's PLENTY of action. Characterization? There's a bit of that. While the characters are a tad cliche, they're quite enjoyably written, and their interaction drives the story, not the gadgets. Gadgets there are, and they're well thought-out, believably written, and provide an entertaining backdrop and foil for the action. And the setting? In a word - creepy. Just what I want in my sci-fi horror crossover!

All in all, I give the book my own recommendation. I *think* this is the writer's first fiction outing, and I am looking forward to his next book - maybe a sequel?

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and Fast-Paced, February 8, 2010
B. Arnold (Virginia, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dominant Species (Kindle Edition)
As someone who has read only a few science-fiction books, I chose Dominant Species because of the low Kindle price and interesting description. Not only was I not dissappointed, I enjoyed the novel greatly, looking forward to being able to read it every afternoon. The action was fast-paced and the technology was believable and added much to the storyline. Because I am interested in reading more from this author, I chose this novel to be my first review on Amazon. If that's not high praise, I don't know what is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected Depth Along With a TON of Action, October 18, 2009
This review is from: Dominant Species (Kindle Edition)
True to the publisher's description, this book has a TON of action and military weaponry that makes you wonder if the author knows something that we don't about what's in development these days. But what I didn't expect in this book was the character development and the twists and turns of the plot. A lot of sci-fi is prettying two-dimensional, but this one really gets into the heads of the characters--even the characters that DON'T necessarily make it... and they don't wear Star Trek red shirts to let you know ahead of time that they're gonna be toast. I heartily recommend this book to anyone who likes some depth to plot and characters, along with plenty of high tech weaponry and a fair share of blood and guts.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good read, May 20, 2010
This review is from: Dominant Species (Kindle Edition)
Took a risk on this one and wasn't disappointed at all. A very enjoyable read and possibly the start of something interesting. Stands on its own with no need for sequels or apologies. Now I've found this author I'll be keeping my eye out for his next one. If you're looking for a fun SF read with interesting technology and plot I can recommend it.

Dominant Species