5.0 out of 5 stars How do you top this one?
Published on February 11, 2000 by Bruce Parsons

3.0 out of 5 stars Good plot, tough read
Published on June 29, 1998

5.0 out of 5 stars How do you top this one?, February 11, 2000
As an awe-struck reader of Deadline, I felt I had to read Dominion, even though I knew that sequels are usually not near as good as the original. This book develops Clarence, who was an obscure character from the first novel, into someone everyone can know and love. While much ties in to the first book, we are spared syrupy coincidences so common to much "christian" fiction.
This book is spell-binding, exciting, and compelling. As one who reads much fiction from the "other side" as well, this stacks up with Grisham's best, and proves that you can have a good novel with professional technique, believable characters, and frank portrayals, without even using one of the puerile off-color words that even Grisham considers necessary for a sell. It would stand alone as a detective novel; it would stand alone as a social commentary; it would stand alone as an allegorical fantasy. The fact that it can do all three at once makes it a book that would be unique, had the first one not done so also.
The murder mystery was actually more intricate, more interesting than the first one. The glimpses of heaven bogged me down just slightly, though Alcorn has made me think like I never thought before. I still think I can wait at least a thousand years before I sit under a verbose C.S. Lewis explaining things to me.
For those who thought the first book was too "right wing," I challenge anyone to say that about this one. Alcorn camps in the liberals' back yard and shows them some truth they should have thought about before. This was the best book on race relations that any Christian has ever written, and I marvel that he could create such a believable Black character. Clarence's dad is a treasure, too, and I found that I wish I could have spent a morning fishing with him like Manny got to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Sees No Color? Not True!, May 22, 2001
Eric Wilson "author" (Nashville, TN United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Randy Alcorn writes fiction with more lessons than a month of Sunday sermons. Although bordering on preachiness at times, he manages to work the lessons in around a detailed and believable plot, thus allowing us to swallow the medicine he delivers. Through the eyes of a black reporter in Portland, OR, Alcorn tells a mystery revolving around the murder of one of the reporter's relatives. The story, though heavy and thought-provoking, gives glimpses of hope and the rewards of the hereafter.
In "Dominion," Alcorn tackles racism head on. I, like the characters in the book, live in Oregon, but Alcorn really opened my eyes to the reality of this issue still present in our society. He doesn't retreat from the tough questions, he faces them with wisdom and courage. He refuses to whitewash the skin issue; instead, he shows us that love does see color, and learns to appreciate others for their differences. By acting color blind, we only reveal our deep-seeded prejudice and miss out on the beauty of God's colorful creation.
Alcorn's writing is tight and well-characterized. In particular, his ghetto and gang scenes are effective without resorting to profanity. The book is long, but worth the effort. The rewards are there in every way, and the story will linger in your mind for a long time.
A mystery? Yes. A treatise on respect for all races? Yes. A great read? Yes. Alcorn, again, delivers with tough and timely storytelling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why he's one of the best!, February 10, 2005
Wolfe Moffat (Franklinville, NY) - See all my reviews
This book had the heart rate going a few times! Man, Randy Alcorn knows how to keep your attention! He also knows how to lift the spirit, than let us know who is in charge and why.

He takes a friend of journalist, Jake Woods, and gives us that is just as equal to "Deadline"! We join Clarence Abernathy in his search for justice. He teams up with Ollie Chandler, who seems to be a hick. But the two forge an unforgettable friendship, as well as a good team! This book takes you into the heart of racism, then power drives it with a force that can't be stopped. I really liked how Obadiah (Clarence's father) simply talked about the good old days, especially the part about Negro League Baseball. He talks about Hank Aaron along with Cool Papa Bell, and tells about the earth shattering home runs of Josh Gibson. You read baseball books, you know this isn't just made up stuff. We are also given verses of "Amazing Grace" and other tunes that just light up your world, and God's world! To make matters more interesting and more sumptuous, he gives a tempting decription of home cooking, with more than just corn bread and chicken!

Alcorn writes something that probably won't be popular with all audiences, but he doesn't have to worry about that. This was never a skin issue, but a SIN issue, and when it comes down to it, when does it end? What will the body of Christ do about it? More heart pounding illustrations from Randy Alcorn make "Dominion" demanded to be read, today and tomorrow. It is why he is one of the best out there! Well done!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Christian fiction I have ever read., January 19, 1999
Cozy Girl "mystery lover" (Ball Ground, GA United States) - See all my reviews
Dominion was recommended to my husband and I the summer of 1997 by some dear friends. My husband read it first and was deeply moved. I could not wait to start it. Once I did, I had a very hard time putting it down. This book came into our lives at a very significant time. We had lost our oldest son in May 1996 in the Valujet crash in the Everglades and the wound was still very fresh and painful. Mr. Alcorn's descriptions of heaven and the beauty of his words gave us great comfort as well as a release for our tears. My husband, who is a minister, has never been a fan of Christian fiction, but he found this book to be sound theologically. We both HIGHLY recommend the book to anyone who has a loved one waiting on them in Heaven. It is the most thought provoking book I have read in a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, read it four or five times, a great story, March 16, 2003
I didn't know who Randy Alcorn was when I found this book lying in my office left behind by the previous occupant. What a winner of a book. It is big, but the story winds up and winds up and has twists and turns that keep you on the edge of your seat. It presents a beautiful theology of God and Heaven. However, if you aren't a Christian or don't care about God or heaven read the story anyway as the theological elements are wonderfully woven into the story and add to the drama. Randy writes one heckuva good book. (and looking at this review you might be thinking I'm a relative or his publisher, but I'm not, I just like the book.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome in every way!, March 28, 2000
After reading The Edge of Eternity by the same author, and thinking it was one of the finest books I've ever read, I was eager to read another Randy Alcorn book. Dominion was exceptional. The characterization was so intense that every person in the story became almost real to me. The plot was as good as the characterization. On top of that, the message was as uplifting as anything I've read. With regard to its treatment of race relations and bigotry, I think this book should be required reading in every high school. That's not in any way to say it's a kid's book. I believe that the longer you've lived and experienced the trials of this life, the more meaningful the book will be to you. Now, of course, I'll have to read everything written by Randy Alcorn!

5.0 out of 5 stars EYE OPENING!!!, April 3, 1999
By A Customer
I have never had my life changed as much as it has after I read The Dominion!! I am white and was raised in a very sheltered "white world". But I always knew there was more to life than what I was living and more to the african-american people around me. This book has certainly taught me about a culture I had no idea about through its honesty and historical facts and biblical basis. Im recommending this book to all my friends of all races and colors in hopes that we can come to terms with our sameness and realize we are all children of God...and that folks is all that matters!! Hurry out now and buy this book if u have not done so!! You will laugh, cry, and re-evaluate ur life after reading it!! Thank you Mr. Alcorn! Ill be looking forward to another Clarence and Jake book. Perhaps its time for Ollie and Manny to come to Christ!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Racism is a ploy of Satan!, April 28, 2001
This was a little more difficult for me than most books I read because it is about, and uses the 'lingo' of intercity black teens, gang-bangers and the like but it was well worth the effort. It is an excellent book and really helped me see racial predjudice through the eyes of a black person. It made me more sensitive to the struggles my black brothers and sisters go through that I, a white woman, have never had to face. As in Deadline, to which I suppose this could nearly be called the sequel, it is full of spiritual truths that we all need to understand. I highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to put down....a great read!, April 29, 2000
This is the second book that I have read by Randy Alcorn. As was the case with his first book, And Eternity, I could not put it down. The book focuses on racial and spiritual matters. It challenged me rethink my outlook on racial issues and concerns. The author provided characters who were real and alive. The characters are actively seeking out truth and justice for their community. Christian beliefs and principles are questioned and brought into focus for the reader. Mr. Alcorn has the ability to demonstrate his Christian beliefs and show his love for Jesus. I recommend this book highly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good plot, tough read, June 29, 1998
By A Customer
I enjoyed "parts" of this book. As long as the plot remained on Clarence Abernathy and his search for his sister's killers, the book was interesting. Once we started getting into his sister's afterlife experiences, it got stale. I found myself skipping pages to get on with Clarence's activities. Characters like "Zeke" began to really annoy me. The constant barrage of "ebonics" got stale as well, but I know it was necessary for the story and was at least contrasted in the intelligence of Clarence. It just needs to reduce the lengthy "afterlife" scenes.

Dominion (Ollie Chandler, Book 2)
Dominion (Ollie Chandler, Book 2) by Randy Alcorn (Paperback - May 1, 2006)
$16.99 $13.23