"Packed with comic misadventures, mystery, intrigue and opera lore, the book rollicks along to a satisfying conclusion....The details involved in putting on an important opera are fascinating and true, particularly the technical discussions about staging...readers need not be opera buffs to enjoy this novel." - Kirkus Reviews
"Gale Martin is an opera fan who writes about opera for fun. She has outdone herself with this musically themed farce about love and sex among the members of a small-town opera company...[A] charming, intelligent and welcome first novel. Expect more from Gale Martin - she's on a roll." -- Curled Up with a Good Book
Finalist in the 2012 National Indie Excellence Awards - New Fiction
From the Author
Truth be told, I had a complete blast - a party in my head every day - writing DON JUAN IN HANKEY, PA, my backstage novel about a small-town opera guild and all the problems they encounter producing Mozart's Don Giovanni
. Seduction. Visits from ghosts. Murder. Comic intrigues. Convoluted mysteries. And, of course, lust, longing, lust, love. Have I mentioned unbridled lust?
After the baritone singing the title role pulls out of his contract
, the guild hires a gifted gaucho from Argentina who won a fictional, international opera contest called Operatoonity. Hence, the name for my blog celebrating opera is also Operatoonity!
Here are some of my favorite review snippets from readers and reviewers just like YOU
- "'Don Juan' perfectly captures our own faults, those of ambition, greed, lust and naivety, and makes us laugh at our own self-importance. This book strikes a human chord in such a comical way that I couldn't put it down."
- "Guess what? I want to learn more about opera now. What fun and how clever."
- "I want more from this author. I will recommend this book to all my friends."
- "What makes this novel so special is that are the many levels to discover and enjoy, as in every good novel."
- "Now maybe I don't know much about opera or Mozart but I'm pretty sure I know a good book when I read one and Don Juan in Hankey, PA is definitely a good book."
- "I REALLY LOVED THE BOOK!!! Honestly, I wish there was a sequel already."
- "Don Juan in Hankey, PA will help your own heart sing. And who among us doesn't yearn for that?"