Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Don Quixote - Nureyev (Australian Ballet) - Blu-ray
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Blu-ray|Change

on April 24, 2012
This 1973 film was an excellent candidate for remastering and Blu-ray enhancement, having a freedom of movement and spaciousness that astounds in this newest version; I believe it was originally filmed in an enormous aircraft hangar. Many agree that Nureyev was at his peak during this time, and his charismatic brilliance is most apparent here, backed by a superb cast. Nureyev closely oversaw all aspects of the filming; it bears his stamp. Not many films merit the trouble and expense of conversion to blu-ray; this performance however is one for the ages. Excellent bonus features as well.
I'm not sure what the issue is with the other reviewer's comment about "wrong speed"; my copy plays perfectly. I'm guessing it may be the wrong region for the reviewer's machine? For me, this was one of my first Blu-ray purchases, and I enjoy the colors, perspective and sound tremendously. Visually it is a delight; the colors and depth are far superior to regular DVD, while the performance itself is extraordinarily polished and professional. Great costumes and sets, pretty flawless dancing.
on April 9, 2013
I saw the current Australian Ballet performance before receiving this disc and was not at all impressed. I rather regretted ordering this disc a few weeks earlier. What a mistake it would have been to cancel it. The video very much shows its age but the performances are fantastic. Brilliant dancing with Nureyev in his prime. My wife and I quickly forgot about the video quality and were held spellbound by the dancing. What a gem! All ballet lovers should see this.
on December 20, 2013
While I am generally pleased that I replaced my earlier DVD copy of this work with the latest Blu-ray version (especially for the sharpness of the image and the improved color rendition), I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the Dolby 5.1 sound option. I have set the sound level of my LFE speaker to provide an acceptable level of bass response for my quite extensive disk collection that comprises a complete cross section of classical music and action/adventure movies, both in regular DVD and Blu-ray format. Unfortunately, when playing this disk at a `normal' listening level the bass response is so overwhelming as to be annoying and unbearable. It is really unfortunate that this disk can only be viewed with the soundtrack set to Stereo.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 25, 2012
A worthy program to be given the Blu-ray treatment. Somewhere between the story by Cervantes, and "Man of La Mancha", there's the ballet of Don Quixote with the music of Ludwig Minkus, and the choreography of Petipa. At the height of his powers, Rudolf Nureyev came back to Australia in 1973 to serve not just as a performer, but choreographer and co-director of this filmed version. Going through their paces on the large stage built in an aircraft hangar, Nureyev, Robert Helpmann and Lucette Aldous are all wonders to behold. As you would expect with a dancer as one of the directors, the camera follows it all with just the right touch and without any gimmicks...we won't count the crane camera following Don Quixote riding the windmill blades back and forth. As for the picture, the scenes in the marketplace in particular are outstanding, with the red, yellow, gold and orange shades looking even better than they did after the original restoration (shown in a bonus feature). This is indeed a worthwihile addition to a performing arts Blu-ray library.
on April 10, 2014
Quality of the first act was very good but from the second act on the restoration becomes inconsistent. There are prominent 'cigarette burns' as well as scratches.
on March 30, 2015
A wonderful record of the great Rudolf Nureyev's great roles.
on October 13, 2014
Very nice dvd - watched this live years ago.
on April 22, 2012
THIS PRODUCT IS A TRUE SCANDALE : THE PICTURE IS TOO FAST ? IT DOES NOT RUN IN THE GOOD SPEED . I would like to have my money back , because this product is very expensive .ROBERT CATANIA