5.0 out of 5 stars Firefly Fans Rule!
Published on October 24, 2006 by Terry Sunday

3.0 out of 5 stars Would've Been Great 4 Years Ago...
I bought this as a gift for my husband because we both love Firefly and it got such great reviews. I hate to give anything associated with Firefly a low review, especially something created by fans (who are awesome), but I have to say we were both a bit disappointed.

Published on October 23, 2010 by Elizabeth

5.0 out of 5 stars Firefly Fans Rule!, October 24, 2006
Terry Sunday (El Paso, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Done The Impossible: The Fans' Tale of Firefly & Serenity (DVD)
First, I have a confession to make. Unlike many "Firefly" fans, I had never even heard of Joss Whedon when the show premiered on Fox in the Fall of 2002. I was not a member of the existing "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Angel" fan base that anxiously awaited Whedon's latest offering--I had never seen either show. I did enjoy "Firefly" for the brief time that it aired (although I missed a few episodes), but I didn't really appreciate it until it was too late. I didn't get hooked until after I bought the complete series DVD set and saw "Serenity" on the big screen.

I was a little hesitant about buying "Done the Impossible" at first, since I didn't think a "fan-produced" DVD could possibly have much to offer. Was I ever wrong! Every "Firefly" fan should have this. It may be a little too deep, esoteric or complicated for a casual viewer who just happened to catch a couple of episodes, or for someone who went to see "Serenity" for lack of something else to do. But if you've invested the time and energy to watch all of the episodes repeatedly, to learn the culture and terminology of the `Verse, to read the "Companion" books--then you need "Done the Impossible."

The main feature of the DVD portion of the single-sided disk is a 79-minute documentary, with scene selections, that tells the story of the rise and fall of "Firefly." There's also an ultra-cool interactive audio/video timeline, a `Verse dictionary (in very small print that's a little hard to read on a normal-size television), a trivia game, commentaries, some music videos and other extras. Presented in a very clever multi-window format, the DVD/ROM portion has over six hours of interviews, commentaries, music, factoids, biographies of cast, crew and fans, you name it. If it has to do with the birth, death and resurrection of the spaceship "Serenity" and her crew, you'll probably find it here. It's very interactive (as is the DVD). You won't just sit back and let this play, because the slick, professional interface practically forces you to click your way around the screen to see what you can find. It's a great way to present the material, but it does require some effort and concentration.

Both the DVD and DVD/ROM have first-class production values that equal or exceed any other DVD I've ever seen. Even if you're not a certified, died-in-the-wool "Browncoat," you should consider buying "Done the Impossible." It tells a unique story that you won't find anywhere else. I recommend it highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars a Great DVD for the fans, December 31, 2006
Don't let the fact this is a 'fan produced' documentary about the Firefly/Serenity phenon. put you off.

This is a high-quality dvd, with good special features too boot. It has interviews with a large number of fans who were touched and worked not only to get the cancelled series to the big screen but also worked for charities along the way. Most of the members of the cast are part of the DVD, as well as the creator, Joss Whedon.

If you love the series, you owe it to yourself to check this out - you'll probably find it emotionally moving. If you've only caught a couple of episodes of the show, or just the movie - you'll still want to check it out, because this is a compelling story about fans keeping a show they love alive, and something that's never been done before - EVER.

Bringing a cancelled TV show to a major motion picture.

Man, I miss the show.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Documentary about a Fan Family, December 2, 2006
Tek2000 (Phoenix, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Excellently written and edited documentary. Professional quality video and audio all the way through. Moved along swiftly with chapters starting with clever and appropriate series quotes in white print on full black screen. For example, Jayne's "Time for some thrilling heroics". Almost no duplication of special features from the Firefly and Serenity DVD to the best of my recollection. Adam Baldwin was surprisingly easy to believe as a serious host even though his character in the movie is very different. I had to laugh when he says that some "fan fiction is kind of creepy". Could he mean some of the Jayne/Mal or Jayne/Simon "slash" fiction out there? I am also wondering why "Simon" and "River" didn't appear more.

The DVD-ROM special features require Apple Quicktime. That's a shame, because everytime I've installed quicktime, I've regretted it when I tried to remove it. It's like a boot sector virus and won't go fully away. I don't install it anymore regardless of the temptation. Why not provide a Windows solution?
[Added 14Apr07: I withdraw this objection as commenters note that Qtime is freely available on both Macs and Windows platforms so is a valid choice. Also, for those who do not like Apple's Qtime, commenters point out a great alternative, QuickTimeAlt.]

I'm not really a "browncoat" as the Serenity and Firefly fans call themselves, but do like the series and movie. I really enjoyed the documentary since it showed the cast and crew "off-screen" and you got the feeling that this team put their hearts and souls into the series and the movie. Come to think of it, maybe I am a browncoat, because I found myself totally agreeing with the end credits song, "I want my trilogy".

3.0 out of 5 stars Would've Been Great 4 Years Ago..., October 23, 2010
Elizabeth (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews

This documentary was created before Serenity was released. Watching the documentary was like going to a convention. It was mostly interviews with people (some at conventions) who love the show. Some of the actors and people involved in the making the series and movie also spoke. The interviews explained the history of what happened, giving some insights here and there, but mostly just talking about how much they loved Firefly.

A lot of the positive reviews were probably riding the wave of emotion after the cancellation of the show and during the anticipation of the movie. If I'd gotten this DVD then, I probably would've loved it as well. It's like chicken soup for the sad fan's soul. But given that it's now several years after the height of the Firefly frenzy, the documentary feels tonally out of place. While the unbridled browncoat love was nice, I was looking for more insider info and nostalgia.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than the studio's DVD's, September 28, 2006
I got my copy of this wonderful project yesterday and I'm amazed of the professional work this group of browncoats have done. You can be sure that you will enjoy this documentary!!! The DVD comes with hours of fun and interactivity, Very cool and well crafted menu (Better than many DVDs done by the studios) and very easy to navigate. If you are a browncout you will enjoy Jewel State narrating the timeline and making you company in the Quizzes and Trivia. You will get to know more of the people that form the wonderful family of firefly and serenity and listen to the BDH's tell their stories of the series. The timeline is very well done, you get to see the whole journey and watch videos, it's very very entertaining.

I have to say that I spent the whole afternoon watching the DVD and haven't even seen half of the bonuses on it. It comes with a DVD-ROM that has many cool features that I'm still waiting to discover.

If you are a browncoat this is a must have.

If you know any people that loves Firefly and/or Serenity this is a wonderful present.

And is you haven't discover the verse yet, get the Firefly DVDs box set and the Serenity movie along with this DVD and be prepared to enter the most amazing adventure yet made.

Congrats to all browncoats around the world and keep flying!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful DVD for Firefly/Serenity fans, September 23, 2006
This is very funny and well done. If you are a Browncoat, you really will enjoy it (and if you're not, you should go check out Firefly and Serenity on DVD--they are awesome). It was a vivid reminder for me of just why I became so involved with the Browncoats after Firefly was killed.

The DVD features a good blend of regular Browncoats and people who work on the property in some official capacity--not to mention the people who began as regular Browncoats and then wound up working on the property in an official capacity. It also strikes a nice balance between presenting the story of the efforts to keep Firefly alive, and showing all the creative and fun stuff that has been done in response to Firefly.

5.0 out of 5 stars I just had to write a review for something this great., September 22, 2006
J. Lee (Missouri, USA) - See all my reviews
If you are a Firefly fan, you must have this DVD. Created by fans and licensed under a Creative Commons license (yay! yay!), it shows the intensity and breadth of Firefly fans. With interviews with Joss Whedon, cast members and notable Firefly fans from the science fiction universe like Orson Scott Card, this DVD does and excellent job of exploring what the Firefly experience is all about. There are well done extras beyond the documentary when viewed in a traditional DVD player, and a 'cooler than words' interface with hours and hours of extras when viewed as a DVD-ROM in a Mac or PC. This is the most impressive fan generated and produced project of any community I have ever seen, an maybe in the whole ruttin' 'verse. Buy this, its well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars A "must" Own DVD for Every Browncoat (i.e. Firefly/Serenity fan), September 20, 2006
If you are a fan of Firefly/Serenity then this is a MUST own DVD. Created by a dedicated group of Browncoats (i.e. Firefly fans) it gives you a window into the world of the people who make up the fan community. The production quality is excellent and while the documentary alone would be well worth the purchase price there are also bonus features and DVD-Rom content with several additional hours of entertainment. If you know a Browncoat who hasn't seen this yet be sure to pickup extra copies for them as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars I had NO idea a "fan" produced DVD could be this great!!, September 30, 2006
I ordered my DVD last week (the 22nd to be exact) and received it on the 29th....now that in and of itself was impressive. (I have been in several fan communities where you are promised something wonderful and not only do you never receive the merchandise on time, you may never receive it at all!) And then, not only did I receive it quickly, it was everything they promised and MORE!! The people who produced this, if they are not already professional producers, they need to be! If it weren't for the fact that "The Fans' Tale...." is right in the title, you would never have known that it was produced by fans.

Unfortunately, I am one of those Browncoats that came in late in the game so I was never able to help in the events that took place to bring about the motion picture rendering of the series. Thankfully, this DVD documents this journey for all Browncoats (and non-Browncoats) to see. It also helps us to continue to tell the story of our "Big Damn Heroes".

As others have already said, if you are a fan of the series/movie, you NEED to get this DVD. If you aren't a fan yet, you need to get on the Browncoat bandwagon and see what you are missing!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you didn't tear up during this..., April 17, 2007
...then wear a different color coat.

This was an amazing undertaking of love that Firefly/Serenity fans have become known for. I loved remembering and laughing along with them. The Bedlam Bards were especially endearing (you've got to love "The Man They Call Joss"!), but it made me sad all over again about what happened with this show. I was wishing for more scenes of Nathan Fillion and Alan Tudyk talking (who wouldn't??), since they seemed to be having as much fun re-living and remembering as the fans.

A must-have for Firefly/Serenity fans, as jubilant as it is heartbreaking.

Done The Impossible: The Fans' Tale of Firefly & Serenity