5.0 out of 5 stars Upgrade Instantly to Bionic Eyeballs!
Published on December 6, 2009 by First Quadrant

3.0 out of 5 stars A Quick Review
A the time I'm writing this, there is a Gold Box deal on so I wanted to point out a few things.

The optical quality of these is excellent. But some things you should know,

If your head is not perfectly round, these can be very uncomfortable.

Published on November 17, 2012 by Cooper

5.0 out of 5 stars Upgrade Instantly to Bionic Eyeballs!, December 6, 2009
I have owned an OptiVisor for several years. Originally purchased for work, I bought a second pair for home and have used them for (to name a few) pulling splinters out of the kids fingers, assessment of a problem with my dog's paw, detailed gluing of small project work, removing and assessing a tick, replacing a watch battery and for making small, detailed measurements. My eyes aren't what they used to be--but with these... they're temporarily much, much better!
Others have reviewed the limited depth of field. This is true--you'll need to be close to the subject for it to be in focus. Please understand that this is not a fault of the manufacturer but is the way optics perform when designed to work in this fashion. In my opinion, this limitation makes these an unsuitable solution for reading unless you need extreme help and are willing to hold the material very close. I've tried. It's clumsy.
Two notes from my years of using this product. 1) There are "thumbturn" tighteners (small knobs visible in the picture) that keep the visor in position once you've adjusted it on your head. We tend to only tighten the one on the right because we are right handed. The left one became loose, fell off, and was lost for quite some time before we located it under the couch. Keep both of these finger-tight or you may lose one of them. 2) The optics can scratch if you store the visor improperly. We like the visor so much that we put a hook on the wall near the office desk--just an arm's reach away. Easy access. Safe storage.
These are ruggedly built, well-designed and have helped me to solve many problems. Therefore, they get my 5-star approval and recommendation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for soldering surface mount componets, November 16, 2009
This review is from: Donegan OptiVISOR Headband Magnifier (Misc.)
I been using this product for years and years, 1 have 2 broken ones where the plastic hood part cracks and is impossible to glue back together.
but is light weight and I can wear them all day working on electronic circuit boards.
There are many magifications of this product but this one a #5 is just right gives you about 7-8 inches away from work area

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Magnifier but a little pricey, February 2, 2010
Tony G. (Justice, IL) - See all my reviews
I bought this headband magnifier to be able to work hands-free on electronic circuitry and small surface mount components. I thought I'd be able to use a small soldering iron while wearing the visor, but at the point of good focus there's only about 3 to 4 inches of clearance between the lenses and the work. It can still be done, but you have to be careful as you bring the iron in and out of the working view so you don't burn the visor or the lenses.

This magnifier is good overall. The fit is nice and snug and pretty comfortable to wear for extended time. The lenses are good quality, although if I had to buy another I'd get a lower magnification than this 3-1/2X. It's very hard to work with items because the focal length is under 4 inches. The 2.5X or 2.75X are probably better for getting more working distance. The knob-adjust headband is a nice feature for quickly adjusting to a snug fit, and the side knobs let you adjust the up/down swing very easily.

I also ordered the OptiLoupe 2.5X addon, but that thing is pretty useless. It's very hard to use and it has a narrow zone of vision.

Overall, the construction and quality of this headband visor is very good and it does what it claims.
It costs a bit more than most others, but it seems to be of very good construction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best overall, January 21, 2010
Robert J. Crowley (Sudbury, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Donegan OptiVISOR Headband Magnifier (Misc.)
These are everywhere and can be found at low prices if you look around, which you should because these are the most form-fitting, all-day wearable magnifiers of the bunch. Not fancy, not a lot of features, and not much weight, which is very important if you plan on actually using this type of head worn magnifier for extended periods. The lens material is very scratch resistant, easy to clean, and clear. The adjustable headband is simple and not fancy at all, but it conforms to your head, unlike the very uncomfortable B&Ls, which I also have.

I bought my last pair of these for less than I see here on Amazon, where I think they are priced a little high. Even so, these are the ones to get, because the design is superior.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality at an affordable price, March 3, 2011
I purchased the Donegan OptiVisor after researching several different brands and styles of headband magnifier to help me better see small parts when I make custom jewelry. I need to be sure that all the pieces fit snugly, joints are even, and any scratches or sharp ends on wire and findings are eliminated.

The GLASS lens sold me on this particular one over the others I looked at. From other reviewer's comments of all the brands I researched, I gathered that the optical quality for the glass lens was superior to the more common, plastic lens which often was or became blurry or distorted and could not be worn for extended periods without developing a headache or eye-distress.

I was also concerned about lens scratches, etc. I believe I made the correct choice. The headband is infinitely adjustable and lined in the forehead area with a soft headpiece which makes it very comfortable to wear for extended periods of time. The visor has knobs on each side allowing me to adjust tension for the task at hand. After the initial period of getting used to wearing the headband and adjusting my working distances, I have worn this magnifier for hours without getting a headache or developing eye-distress! The OptiVisor also fits comfortably with my prescription glasses on.

I also like the fact that the lens can be changed out for another magnification or replaced should it become damaged, without having to replace the entire headband. Although made entirely from plastic (except for the lens) the Donegan OptiVisor quality is excellent, and given some care in use and storage, should last for several years. I do not regret purchasing this product -- and after shopping around, Amazon was the least expensive online store I found.

-DON-

5.0 out of 5 stars Donegan OptiVISOR - pathologist reviews, November 18, 2009
This review is from: Donegan OptiVISOR Headband Magnifier (Misc.)
I'm a pathologist who, like most pathologists in clinical practice, frequently examines (grosses) small (1 to 3 mm) biopsy specimens. I've used Donegan's OptiVISOR for grossing for quite a while. I have the 3 and 4 diopter lenses. As my eyes get older (I'm 74 and still in practice) I rely on it more and more. Histotechnologists who embed biopsy specimens also need the OptiVISOR. (Amazon offers two competing products - I've never seen either of them.)

3.0 out of 5 stars A Quick Review, November 17, 2012

The optical quality of these is excellent. But some things you should know,

If your head is not perfectly round, these can be very uncomfortable.

Since there are several magnifications available, the lenses are just added to the box with the headband. It doesn't seem terribly prudent to be throwing optical lenses in a box loose with the attachment screws so they can bounce around until you assemble them. Pretty bush league in fact when the quality of the lenses is the main selling point.

Other than that you will get what you likely expect. Much better for close up work than even the best reading glasses.

Still not sure if I'm going to keep them due to the extreme discomfort wearing them, even for very short periods.

A questionable purchase.

PS - The Gold Box deal now and the Lightning Deal when I got them recently was $27.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Hallelujah... I Can See!, October 19, 2005
I'm a technical writer; I spend hours a day at the computer. My vision is limited, though, and I used to have to lean way forward to see my words on the screen. A couple years ago, I got an expensive German magnifying visor-like the OptiVisor in design, only nowhere near the quality, and close to three times the price. The image it provided was blurry. The plastic lens broke and fell out of the frame. I fixed it with glue; I fixed it with tape; eventually I stepped on it and "fixed" it for good. I replaced the damn thing with the OptiVisor, and I've never looked back, so to speak.

The lenses are ground glass, so my vision is as crisp and clear as it gets. The headband is comfortable, so I can blame any headaches I get on the relentless tedium of my work.

I should note that the model I have magnifies 1-3/4x, giving me a 14" range (focal length.) I think the 10" range on the 2x magnification model shown here would be less suitable for computer work, but might be ideal for a jeweler, for example, who requires higher lens power, and could comfortably hold her work closer to her face. There are higher powers available, as well, but there will always be a trade-off between magnification on the one hand, and focal length and width of field on the other.

That caveat notwithstanding, I would advise anyone with needs similar to mine to purchase an OpticVisor.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, wrong/misleading description, March 13, 2009
Donegan 3 1/2X OptiVisor Headband Magnifier I purchased this product to work with building my PC. Not knowing that '3 1/2X' this magnification would only occur at 4 inches from the object, it does not meet my need for image clarity. To help other customers with my same perception, the description for these product items should clearly state the focal distance which will take effect during use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Optivisor LX has plastic lens and the "regular" OptiVisor has glass lens, March 23, 2014
I own many OptiVisors and LOVE them, and so does my wife. But be careful -- there are two different products under the OptiVisor name. The original OptiVisor is more expensive and has interchangeable glass lenses. The lower-priced LX model has plastic lenses. Reading through all the reviews, it appears that negative reviews are for the LX product and all the glowingly positive reviews are for the original OptiVisor product. Both are available on Amazon. My recommendation is to purchase the regular OptiVisor with the #4 lens. This is 2X magnification at a focal length of 10 inches, which is pretty much exactly what is needed for working on musical instruments, electronics, needlepoint, and most other typical uses. If you already know that you need to get your nose 4" from your work, or you already know that you need to peer at something from 14" away, then buy one of the other lenses, but if you just want great magnification for detailed work (especially with aging eyes) then the #4 lens is the one you want -- but not the LX, the regular OptiVisor DA-4.