Dongle at the end of the lanyard Any idea what this dongle is to be used for? Help!
asked by Gadget Gal on November 29, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 37 answers
A
I've been using my new stylus for a day on the Kindle Fire and here are my thoughts about the dongle:
- It keeps the stylus from rolling when I lay it on the screen.
- A pocket clip might scratch the screen.
- When holding the tablet in one hand, and I don't need the stylus but want to keep it handy, I tuck the thin 'leash' under my finger on the back - and forget it's there until I need it again!
- When holding the tablet upright, at a light to moderate angle, the stiff 'leash' and balancing plastic piece seem just long enough to hang the stylus over the top of the device where it stays if I do't move too much.
- Because of the small size of the stylus, a pocket clip might interfere with my hand comfort while using it.
- When I am using the stylus, the stiffer leash part causes the plastic part to sit up, out, over the back of my hand, not in my hand or in my way or, worse, touching the tablet while I use it!
- Finally, after trying to figure out a way to 'attach' the stylus to the device when not in use and its cover, I was able to slide the stylus along the device top (over the speakers), under the cover's elastic band, and wrap the leash/plastic tip around the elastic band once to hold the dongle firm against the cover - snug as a bug:)

I am finding every aspect of the leash to be pretty cleverly designed...and I haven't even tried to put it in my pocket yet!
NorthShore61 answered on January 7, 2012
Comment (1) | 19 of 20 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Sorry, I wasn't on the product page I thought I was, I had bought a stylus:
"Universal Capacitive Stylus Pen for Amazon Kindle Fire & Touch 3G, Apple iPad 2, iPhone 4s, Droid Bionic, Accessory for All TouchScreen Devices"
and it does have a dongle that fits a standard earphone, but this is apparently a different stylus, my mistake.
G.Z. answered on December 5, 2011
Comment | 5 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I wondered about the dongle, too, and after getting it found it useful for:

1) to pull the stylus out of the pen holder pocket in my REI shoulder boarding bag

2) to loop the dongle loop around my middle finger and then hold it normally, knowing that if somehow I let go of my stylus, it's still hanging on to my middle finger. It also seems to give me a better grip with the loop there, too.
Karen A. Keil answered on February 13, 2012
Comment (1) | 8 of 9 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I have no idea! I wondered the same thing myself. I am surprised that it's not even mentioned in the product description. I just got my Amazon Basics stylus today. I love it. But the dongle (new word for me) has me scratching my head. I just want answers! LOL! This is the kind of stuff I lay awake thinking about at night. ;-)
Jesse J. Henderson answered on March 12, 2012
Comments (3) | 9 of 11 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
If nothing else it's a conversation starter! ;-)
J answered on February 10, 2012
Comment | 7 of 9 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Wonder what the inventor of this design is think about all these comments...Amazon? Care to enlighten us?
Shari Cohen answered on June 6, 2012
Comment | 5 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
It fits the earphone jack of what device? Assuming maybe the Kindle Fire? Certainly not the iPad, which is what I have.
Amazon Customer answered on December 4, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I have to agree with Bindi - I believe it is a lanyard clip. What I can't understand is why it didn't come with a lanyard or why AmazonBasic doesn't have a compatible one available. But as you can see in this product link: COSMOS ® 5 pcs Orange Neck Strap Band Lanyard For Camera Cell phone ipod mp3 mp4 PSP Wii ID card badge and other Electronic Devices + Cosmos cable tie it is seems to be the clip half of an electronics lanyard...
Christine Ann answered on July 19, 2012
Comment | 5 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I DISCOVERED WHAT "IT" IS FOR!!!

I was letting my grand kids use my Kindle Fire, and the pen/stylus. Remember the KindleFire is great in a darkened room...well the "dongle" keeps you from using the wrong end of the stylus on your screen. Genius!
Zmom answered on April 15, 2012
Comment | 8 of 11 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I too have been wondering about the dongle or dangly bit as I call it. I use my stylus for my Kindle Touch and wish there was a way to attach the stylus to my Kindle Cover -- the one that fits snuggly on KT -- $39.99 -- I think. It is fine when I am reading in bed as I place the stylus on my night table beside Kindle. When I am travelling, I tuck it back in my handbag and then can never find the blessed thing. Too bad they did not include a brightly coloured carrying case for stylus. BTW, I was not impressed with the packaging. Way too much carboard for such a tiny item. Could they have not sent it in a small padded envelope?
Taylor Phillips answered on July 14, 2012
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   Next ›

See all questions about this product